Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valentia - The Book for Danny, A tribute

• 07-08-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

A few of us got together and made a book in tribute to the passing of our great friend Danny O'Brien (known here as Valentia).

The book includes contributions from Boardsies, Pix.ie, Danny's own images, his friends and colleagues from around Trim, his family and some of his life long friends.

It was a collaborative effort from a great many people.

If you are interested in having a look, here is the link where you can preview it -

Decisive Moments from a Life Well Spent

I have to admit to posting this with a little bit of trepidation. I'm pretty sure there are people who we should have invited to contribute but missed out ... please don't be offended ... this was not deliberate ... we just didn't know everyone who might have been interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I don't want to be rude, but is/can this be uploaded somewhere else? I'd like to read it but the font is just too small, on fullscreen and not on fullscreen.

The pictures are fantastic though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I don't want to be rude, but is/can this be uploaded somewhere else? I'd like to read it but the font is just too small, on fullscreen and not on fullscreen.

No ... but you can select full screen reading mode from the previewer ...

EDIT: It seems to perfectly readable on my screen ... but to be fair I'm using a 24 inch Dell on full 1920X1600 resolution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I received my copy of this book in the post on Friday. WOW, it's stunning. It's just wonderful how many people had such photos of Danny.

It's a wonderful tribute to Danny and even just a brilliant book.

Well done to everyone who contributed.

Paulw wrote: »
    I received my copy of this book in the post on Friday. WOW, it's stunning. It's just wonderful how many people had such photos of Danny.

It's a wonderful tribute to Danny and even just a brilliant book.

Well done to everyone who contributed.

Including yourself Paul ;)

Louise & John Gunn gave your image a nice compliment today ... John said - "Perfect panning" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

No ... but you can select full screen reading mode from the previewer ...

EDIT: It seems to perfectly readable on my screen ... but to be fair I'm using a 24 inch Dell on full 1920X1600 resolution

Ok thanks anyway! I'm on a 13" 1280x800 Macbook, that may be the issue :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

A few of us got together and made a book in tribute to the passing of our great friend Danny O'Brien (known here as Valentia).

The book includes contributions from Boardsies, Pix.ie, Danny's own images, his friends and colleagues from around Trim, his family and some of his life long friends.

It was a collaborative effort from a great many people.

If you are interested in having a look, here is the link where you can preview it -

Decisive Moments from a Life Well Spent

I have to admit to posting this with a little bit of trepidation. I'm pretty sure there are people who we should have invited to contribute but missed out ... please don't be offended ... this was not deliberate ... we just didn't know everyone who might have been interested.

Very nice touch guys. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

simon

it might be nice if possible that we could put up the gannets at the peoples photography, aparts from being displayed as part of the boards community, its kinda where that image belongs, on the green where it was as part of the exhibition

stcstc wrote: »
    simon

it might be nice if possible that we could put up the gannets at the peoples photography, aparts from being displayed as part of the boards community, its kinda where that image belongs, on the green where it was as part of the exhibition

That's an excellent idea ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Fantastic tribute folks. Well done.

Thanks so much for sharing. Only thinking of Danny during the week gone by so this has been a most enjoyable viewing. I'm sure Danny's family must be chuffed with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Looks like a beautiful book and wonderful dedication. I don't know what happened to the guy, and unfortunately never knew him, But I've seen a lot of the images Dennis and Susie have on their Pix and I remember commenting on one saying the guy looked like a character :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

stcstc wrote: »
    simon

That's an excellent idea ...

+1

Among friends. Its a place his memory should inhabit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

It's a truly fantastic book from, Danny's photos, friends tributes and stories to very personal photos going back over the years where none of us on here knew him (except Paddy), to the quality and layout.

I've heaps of photography books and this will be there right in the centre of them and hopefully in a little while be the most thumbed of all :)

Big thanks due to Simon, Sinead, Suzie and Paddy and all who had a hand in the making. Most of all a big thanks to Danny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Truly one of the most thoughtful things anyone could ever do and a credit to all involved in such a beautiful dedication to Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Wow !
    a fantastic tribute to Danny
    amazing pictures, very moving to look at
    well done all involved
    very well put together..

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

jesus,i havent been round this forum much the last while and i was unaware of valentias sad passing,i never had the pleasure to meet him,but i do remember seeing his name in every 2nd thread i looked at.

Fair play to all involved in the book its a touching tribute and a great piece of work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Well done Simon and all the others involved with this, a massive tribute to an amazing guy!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Fantastic tribute to a great man, well done all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Lovely tribute.

Advertisement