Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would love to Fly From Waterford Airport......BUT

• 07-08-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of going to Manchester at the end of September (24th to 27th) and would love to fly from Waterford.

But having checked out the cost of the flight with Aer Arann compared to the cost of flying from Dublin I have to say I definitely wont be flying from Waterford.

They gave me a quote of €643.17 for three of us return.(obviously these quotes will change but as of today's date they apply)

I checked Ryanair from Dublin and they quoted me €62.97 plus charges another €30

On top of that add about €50 for petrol and €28 for parking giving a total of approx €170 from Dublin - a difference of €470.

Now I'm all for supporting our own locality but to me it dosent make sense to travel from Waterford.

I've seen some of the flights take off and land from there and none of them are hardly ever full and in one case I saw only 3 people get off a flight.

Surely if Waterford airport is going to survive they need to get a more competitive price structure or alternatively attract another airline like Ryanair.

Sadly this time Ryanair and Dublin Airport wins my vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

They cant land a Boeing 737-800 aircraft as the runway is to short but they can in Kerry:) and not so long ago Mol was cutting the back off of Waterford Airport, and if my memory serves me right, where did Ryanair start off? Waterford.

But totally agree with you about Aer Arann, way to expensive and with the new motorway to Dublin its makes sense to go up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You really have to book early with Waterford.... it's €109 fro the same trip in the 1st Week in March next year, but there seem to be a tiny amount of cheap fares on each flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

€50 for petrol? What are you driving? A lambo or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got flights for 1c one way and €30 the other. (Birmingham) Including taxes, charges, luggage (€8 each way for a checked bag of 20kg, plus a carry on of 7kg) the return flight is costing me €123. 15 minutes from home, no parking charges, no hiking around a huge airport, nice cup of tea in the cafe :D They've got my custom.

Edit, booked 25 June - about 6 weeks ago, travelling Monday

Just checked out a one way to Manchester 16 September (for my daughter) €32 - €64 including charges, so that still only 120 return. You do realise there are two prices given, the more expensive one that you can change would be the kind of money you are talking about.

Flights are usually pretty full, I usually pay around the €140 more or less for the return trip, most I ever paid was about €170 total, booked at very short notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

looksee wrote: »
    no parking charges

Huh, last time I looked Waterford were charging €8 per day. It's easy to get parking cheaper than this in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

bkehoe wrote: »
    Huh, last time I looked Waterford were charging €8 per day. It's easy to get parking cheaper than this in Dublin.

Low cost parking is the kind of thing a small rural airport like Waterford could compete on; yet they charge more than Dublin where land values are significantly higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

looksee wrote: »
    I got flights for 1c one way and €30 the other. (Birmingham) Including taxes, charges, luggage (€8 each way for a checked bag of 20kg, plus a carry on of 7kg) the return flight is costing me €123. 15 minutes from home, no parking charges, no hiking around a huge airport, nice cup of tea in the cafe :D They've got my custom.

Edit, booked 25 June - about 6 weeks ago, travelling Monday

Just checked out a one way to Manchester 16 September (for my daughter) €32 - €64 including charges, so that still only 120 return. You do realise there are two prices given, the more expensive one that you can change would be the kind of money you are talking about.

Flights are usually pretty full, I usually pay around the €140 more or less for the return trip, most I ever paid was about €170 total, booked at very short notice

The price I've quoted is for 3 people and they are at the cheaper web rate on the aer arann site so that works out at €213 each compared to about €57 each to go from Dublin

Still dosent make sense to me to travel from Waterford - €156 saved each (or €468 total) will be better spent elsewhere

kensutz wrote: »
    €50 for petrol? What are you driving? A lambo or something like that.

€25 each way is what it usually costs me to Dublin- I drive a 2 litre - would have thought that was about right given the cost of petrol these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

jimbojazz wrote: »
    €25 each way is what it usually costs me to Dublin- I drive a 2 litre - would have thought that was about right given the cost of petrol these days

Sounds about right. Last time I went to dublin airport I filed the tank and had to stop on the way back to get petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

You are dead on with the price of flights. Ive gone a few time to London from Waterford but only for the sheer handiness. When flying on your own it makes sense. Last time I went, In july, it was 148 return. Time before that it was 128, in Feb.

I flew ryanair first time last november, it was 84 but that included a 20 quid charge for baggage.

If waterford had a cheaper airline it would increase the business out there.

Next time I go though I will be flying from Cork/Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

We also looked into flying Waterford to Manchester in October. Got quoted €276 for 2 return and that is not including baggage - checked Ryanair from Dublin for the same dates and they are charging €24 plus baggage and online checkin are free!

Waterford Airport also charge €8 per day parking or €35 for the week and also now charge €7 for a DEVELOPMENT FEE? Like what?:eek:

Quickpark in Dublin airport only charge €28 for the week.

We also looked into flying Waterford to Manchester in October. Got quoted €276 for 2 return and that is not including baggage - checked Ryanair from Dublin for the same dates and they are charging €24 plus baggage and online checkin are free!

Waterford Airport also charge €8 per day parking or €35 for the week and also now charge €7 for a DEVELOPMENT FEE? Like what?:eek:

Quickpark in Dublin airport only charge €28 for the week.

Yeah and the new motorway will be fully open later in the year meaning you can be in Dublin airport in 2 hours and in the process making the Ryanair rates more attractive.

Hopefully Waterford will do something cos I'd rather be supporting them than O'Leary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

O'Leary has high volume on his side.

Kahless wrote: »
    O'Leary has high volume on his side.

Makes it all the more reason why we need the runway extended so we can attract the bigger operators here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I've seen some of the flights take off and land from there and none of them are hardly ever full and in one case I saw only 3 people get off a flight.

Surely if Waterford airport is going to survive they need to get a more competitive price structure or alternatively attract another airline like Ryanair.

Sadly this time Ryanair and Dublin Airport wins my vote

This is not my experience at all. I've flown to Luton return about 10 times and each time the plane was at the very least 60-70% full, and in most cases is 80-100% full. Maybe the Manchester flights are different, but I find it extremely unlikely that Aer Arann could afford to run flights for 3 passengers.

Waterford and Aer Arann is not only surviving, it is doing well, and the prices are usually not too bad. €123 return to Luton or thereabouts is not bad when you figure in travel to Dublin, parking (if you go by car), and the Ryanair hidden charges. You pay a premium to be flown almost to your door, in a city of 50,000 people. That premium is actually very reasonable.

In cases like the one you've brought up, you might have to go with Ryanair, but sometimes the Aer Arann option will be reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It needs a bloody bus service from the city center. Yeah, yeah, the roads are sh*te, they'll still get out there.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    It needs a bloody bus service from the city center. Yeah, yeah, the roads are sh*te, they'll still get out there.

The roads to the airport are top notch these days, except from Tramore (but it's just 5 mins).

I'd agree with the bus service. The council and the airport should pay for a mini-bus to get people to the airport 45mins before all flights. The bus could hit Ferrybank, city centre, John's park and ORR? Would be nice to take in the Dunmore rd. and other places but the bus gets pretty round-a-bout then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

You can complain all you like about the cost of flights from Waterford but it is often worth paying more for the pure comfort of stepping off the plane and being home 10 min latter. If you book in advance I always find Aer Arran very competitive on price. The Airport is convienent and a pleasure to use. If you don't want top pay the parling fee just get someone to drop you off. Bus service would be great, hope someone put one in place at some stage.
    Waterford airport is a great resource for the region and should be supported as much as possible.

Beeker wrote: »
    You can complain all you like about the cost of flights from Waterford but it is often worth paying more for the pure comfort of stepping off the plane and being home 10 min latter. If you book in advance I always find Aer Arran very competitive on price. The Airport is convienent and a pleasure to use. If you don't want top pay the parling fee just get someone to drop you off. Bus service would be great, hope someone put one in place at some stage.
    Waterford airport is a great resource for the region and should be supported as much as possible.

Yeah, I agree with what your saying but in this case a difference of €156 each is too much for the sake of the convenience and comfort.

Yeah, I agree with what your saying but in this case a difference of €156 each is too much for the sake of the convenience and comfort.

Were you booking in advance?

Because usually it's a LOT closer than that.
    I picked some pretty random dates in the future, Return to Manchester, leaving 13th coming back 14th.

Ryanair from Dublin option (by car, train option would be similar):
    Car petrol: €25 (you could add depreciation for newish/expensive cars)
    1 night long term car parking: €9.50
    Total Ryanair (1 bag, no insurance, €6 flights each way, €0 taxes): €52
    Total: €86.50 (1 person) €138.50 (2 people)

Aer Arann from Waterford option:
    1 night car parking: €8
    Total Aer Arann (1 bag, no insurance, €0.01 flights each way, €33.75+€28.66 taxes): €78.43
    Total: €86.43 (1 person) €164.86 (2 people)

Now admittedly that is a bloody good deal from Aer Arann on that date. Still, it just shows how competitive the Waterford connection can be. Obviously the hassle at Dublin airport is far greater than at Waterford airport. Even after you get to the long term car park in Dublin, you still have a lot of work to do.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    Were you booking in advance?

Because usually it's a LOT closer than that.
    I picked some pretty random dates in the future, Return to Manchester, leaving 13th coming back 14th.

Ryanair from Dublin option (by car, train option would be similar):
    Car petrol: €25 (you could add depreciation for newish/expensive cars)
    Total Ryanair (1 bag, no insurance, €6 flights each way, €0 taxes): €52
    Total: €86.50 (1 person) €138.50 (2 people)

Aer Arann from Waterford option:
    1 night car parking: €8
    Total Aer Arann (1 bag, no insurance, €0.01 flights each way, €33.75+€28.66 taxes): €78.43
    Total: €86.43 (1 person) €164.86 (2 people)

Now admittedly that is a bloody good deal from Aer Arann on that date. Still, it just shows how competitive the Waterford connection can be. Obviously the hassle at Dublin airport is far greater than at Waterford airport. Even after you get to the long term car park in Dublin, you still have a lot of work to do.

Yeah booked in advance - 24 - 27 September.

Just on your calculation above are you sure you've calculated your cost right i.e. the €52 should that not be €6 x 2= €12 - if so that would make the Ryanair option €46.50 for 1 meaning a saving of c€40 still a decent enough saving but for that I'd choose Aer Arann for the convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

If anyone works for a company that is a member of the Waterford Chamber of Commerce they can get a code from them to get 25% off Aer Arann flights from Waterford to the UK & France. You have to book the flight by the 30th August but there doesn't seem to be a restriction on when you can fly. Nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Just on your calculation above are you sure you've calculated your cost right i.e. the €52 should that not be €6 x 2= €12 - if so that would make the Ryanair option €46.50 for 1 meaning a saving of c€40 still a decent enough saving but for that I'd choose Aer Arann for the convenience.

I think Merlante has €52 overall based on each way coming to €20 + €6 for bag and flight. Which sounds about right, without digging through the Ryanair small print to find their current baggage charges :p

mecco wrote: »
    I think Merlante has €52 overall based on each way coming to €20 + €6 for bag and flight. Which sounds about right, without digging through the Ryanair small print to find their current baggage charges :p

Will be carrying bags on board - also the rate is free check in and no taxes - I think there might be credit card and admin charges though - but that might be on aer arann as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Will be carrying bags on board - also the rate is free check in and no taxes - I think there might be credit card and admin charges though - but that might be on aer arann as well.

Ah I see. Yeah so that 20 euro doesnt apply in your case. From a quick glance at the Ryanair site though, it seems generally speaking they have 15 euro checked baggage charge and €5 online checkin fee. Thats my problem with ryanair generally..you just dont know what fees are going to apply on any given day!!

Ryanair adds in lots of funny charges as others have pointed out. As I said, baggage is in there, but you also pay a €10 charge to pay by visa, which I guess is typical. iirc., the total was 6x2 = 12 + 30 (bag) = 42 + 10 (visa charge) = €52. Amazing how a 6 euro flight with 0 taxes can add up to 52, but there you go.

Baggage charge return, iirc., with Ryanair is €30 versus €16 with Aer Arann, so if you're traveling bagless, the Dublin/Ryanair option improves by €14 relatively speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Ryanair adds in lots of funny charges as others have pointed out. As I said, baggage is in there, but you also pay a €10 charge to pay by visa, which I guess is typical. iirc., the total was 6x2 = 12 + 30 (bag) = 42 + 10 (visa charge) = €52. Amazing how a 6 euro flight with 0 taxes can add up to 52, but there you go.

Baggage charge return, iirc., with Ryanair is €30 versus €16 with Aer Arann, so if you're traveling bagless, the Dublin/Ryanair option improves by €14 relatively speaking.

Aer Arann allow 20kg, Ryanair 15kg. Given that your suitcase is probably 2kg, thats a difference of 18kg versus 13kg which is an important consideration if you are working in England and want to bring back plenty of blaas/tea/club orange/tayto etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Park at a third party car park, most with more frequent shuttle bus connections than the cheaper DAA Long Term, and you can get it for €5 or less.

bkehoe wrote: »
    Park at a third party car park, most with more frequent shuttle bus connections than the cheaper DAA Long Term, and you can get it for €5 or less.

I have parked at Bewley's, €8 per night iirc, €30 for up to a week I think, which is great. But then you have to figure in a shuttle (timewise) and a wait. You could equally just get a lift in and out of Waterford airport, and spend nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement