Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

diy bike fixing!??

• 07-08-2010 8:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

i need a bit of advice, i have a bike that ive had a good few years, its been outside behind the shed a long time and ive just got it out and cleane dit up and it looks fine, except i think the front wheel has buckled, how easy is it to buy a new set of wheels and put them on myself?? and how do i know what size to buy to fit my bike??

i need new tyres as well, at the moment they are quite thin (ive been riding a dirt style bike so am used to big chunky tyres) can i put fatter wheels and tyres on the same bike??

sorry, im pretty useless at this but wud give it a go if it will save me some money!

this is like the bike i have.....

MikeyWallysAmsterdamBike1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

If the buckle is a slight wobble rather than a dented rim then it might be fixable by adjusting the spoke tensions - something that a decent bike shop would be able to advise you on.

If it's just the front wheel that's buckled then you can just buy a front wheel rather than a set. Fitting a front wheel is pretty straightforward - at most you'll need a couple of spanners or allen keys. The size of the wheel might be stamped somewhere on the rim, or you could look at the sidewall of the tyres and see if there are any numbers on there. This probably has more info than you need.

Fitting chunkier tyres would depend on the clearance between the wheels and the frame. The brake calipers would also need to fit around the tyre. If you're planning to use it on the road then knobbly tyres are less efficient. A smoother tyre is easier to ride on tarmac, and the grip is fine even if they do look worryingly skinny when you're used to nice chunky MTB tyres.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

If you're planning to use it on the road then knobbly tyres are less efficient. A smoother tyre is easier to ride on tarmac, and the grip is fine even if they do look worryingly skinny when you're used to nice chunky MTB tyres.

thanks a million for the info, yeh, they just look really skinny, and im not a skinny minny, lol so it worries me. i have a child seat for the back so its just for me and my son to get out n about really. i would like some nice white wall tyres tho :cool:

if im looking for tyres on the internet how do i interpret this??!!:confused:

37-622 (700x35C - 28x1 5/8 x 1 3/8)

i measured the wheel and its 24" diameter.

sorry just realised the link has everything i need!

Advertisement