Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to buy a lowepro stealth reporter bag - Need advice on size

• 07-08-2010 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi there,
    I'm new to the forum here so Hello everyone.

I currently don't have alot of gear but I need to buy a bag and want to future proof it (ie. make sure all future bought stuff will fit in). In my arsenal at the moment I have a 40D, 10-20mm Sigma Wide angle and Canon 50mm II 1.8.

Depending on how I see my photography skills improve I envisage adding a 70-200 2.8 IS Canon telephoto and a Canon zoom lens - Maybe 24-70L and a Flash - either 480 or 580 Canon.

That would mean in total (which I want to take into account in buying bag) a 40D, 4 lenses (50mm prime, Sigma wide angle, Canon 70-200 telephoto and Canon zoom) and a Flash.

The lowepro stealth bags are my favourite ones style wise. I had a AW200 backpack and didn't really like the style that much. Probably not taking many more just as important considerations into account there such as long term comfort. At the moment I imagine just carrying equipment to aviation spotting sites, family events and weddings where it can be left down most of the time and some photowalks etc. like you would see in a club. What are the Stealth bags like for holidays?

So I'm just wondering would the D200 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Stealth-Shoulder-Digital-Lenses/dp/B000EXHYJI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281209813&sr=8-2 be big enough?
    I had a look at Currys in Galway and was only able to see the D100. Maybe I should try Galway camera shop but would the D200 hold all that gear? It just says 3-4 lenses on the Amazon page but I'd be concerned about the telephoto.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the trick is not to put everything in one bag

i have a reporter 550 i tthink its called

i stuff in it
    40d and grip
    120-400
    50 1.4
    28-75
    580 flash
    70-200 f4
    and various bits

what i do is have a stormcase hard case in car, and swap in and out wht i need

the reporter will also carry my macbook pro

the main issue is when ya fill it up it weighs a bloody ton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 emacken

Thanks for the reply.

Ok - I don't need as big as the 550 anyway I wouldn't think as I don't intend to carry a laptop anywhere with me.

I like the hard case idea, first I need to think through what requirements I will have for equipment in different situations though. For example in an aircraft spotting situation I could imagine myself using telephoto, zoom and wide angle. At a family event telephoto, zoom, flash and maybe one or two wide angle shots. In both these sitations I'd be carrying nearly all my equipment.

I can only see myself using the likes of a hard case if I had a big 100-400 like you have or a large prime. In these cases I assume maybe you mostly leave flash, 50mm and 70-200 behind. And vice versa in other situations? Or perhaps I will find in time due to experience I don't really need all those lenses in spotting or family events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

what you will find is over time you will end with a bunch of different bags

this is not always a bad thing. as different bags work better for different situations

the hard cases are great, they are not cheap, but really do protect your gear

the one i have has a pull up handle and wheels, and is bright yellow so i can see it from a mile off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

Have to agree with Stcstc on the multiple bags scenario. No one bag ever seems to suit all situations and as soon as you get the one you think will then you rapidly outgrow it. Currently have 4 in a variety of sizes and styles which seem to meet most needs :D

As I bought more gear I bought progressively bigger bags to store it all until I got to the point where the big bag was too big (and too heavy!) to take out which kinda defeated the purpose.

I now have a massive Crumpler from which I distil just the gear I need for a particular shoot be it into a simple case for camera + lens or a medium size bag for slr, flash and several lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Hi emachen,
    I bought one of those last year and it suits great for all the gear, but as other posters have mentioned it does get heavy, and you won't carry it too far fully loaded. i have a few smaller bags for trips but find the stealth great for keeping most of the gear together.
    I fit a 40d with grip, leaving four lens compartments, the compartments are just deep enough to hold a sigma 170-500, or you could double-p with smaller lenses, there are handy pockets on the front which i use for filters, and accessories, and it has a small memory card holder attached, as well as a raincover. I find it handy for over the shoulder and a carrier handle, but it can get heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 emacken

Hi Bravo,
    Was it the D550 or the D200 you bought? If it's the D200 were would you be able to fit cam body and 70-200 attached in it?

Thanks for the other replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Sorry emacken, it is the 400AW I have, just checked, here's a link but I did not buy from this shop, so don't know what the story is.
    http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-lowepro-stealth-reporter-d400-aw.htm

Advertisement