Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Deals for oil?

Options
  • 07-08-2010 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm totally clueless about home heating oil and need to get oil for the house!Does anyone know of any good deals about letterkenny??and approx how much of it would i need??
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

I usually buy kerosene for heating oil although you can use green diesel and kerosene mixed( some say it gives more heat ), never tried it myself but depending on price I do sometimes buy green diesel instead of kerosene,
    I have to change the air intake settings on burner to suit whatever I'm burning but that might not suit everyone,
    I cant stress enough how important it is to have your boiler serviced, if you see black smoke from your boiler chimney or indeed no smoke at all then you might need a service, wont do any harm to ask a plumber to have a look just in case , I can do the service myself and do so every couple of months but thats probably overdoing it, once a year is probably enough and just before winter then you get the best out of your boiler for the coldest months,
    How much oil were you wanting to buy and so on , some people save a lot of money by buying their oil in small drums from the petrol pumps on the bridge in Strabane, not a bad idea if you want to keep the likes of Ivor Calleley and John O Donoghue from having a meal at your expense,
    Anyway do ring around and ask for prices before you buy , I deal with Tinneys in Leterkenny for gerrn and Quinn fuels in Balybofey for kerosene.
    PM me if you want the numbers,
    How much you need ? well most domestic tanks hold 1000 litres , and buying a full tank will be cheaper that buying 500 litres for instance.

I usually buy kerosene for heating oil although you can use green diesel and kerosene mixed( some say it gives more heat ), never tried it myself but depending on price I do sometimes buy green diesel instead of kerosene,
    I have to change the air intake settings on burner to suit whatever I'm burning but that might not suit everyone,
    I cant stress enough how important it is to have your boiler serviced, if you see black smoke from your boiler chimney or indeed no smoke at all then you might need a service, wont do any harm to ask a plumber to have a look just in case , I can do the service myself and do so every couple of months but thats probably overdoing it, once a year is probably enough and just before winter then you get the best out of your boiler for the coldest months,
    How much oil were you wanting to buy and so on , some people save a lot of money by buying their oil in small drums from the petrol pumps on the bridge in Strabane, not a bad idea if you want to keep the likes of Ivor Calleley and John O Donoghue from having a meal at your expense,
    Anyway do ring around and ask for prices before you buy , I deal with Tinneys in Leterkenny for gerrn and Quinn fuels in Balybofey for kerosene.
    PM me if you want the numbers,

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

This site used to be good to get prices but i see its a while since it was updated althought it still contains all the ph numbers might be of some use!
    http://www.letterkennyfuel.com/oil.php

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eugenedoc1

Have priced around various places myself and have found A&N fuels(Bradleys) buncrana to be 10 to 20 euro cheaper than most around letterkenny, they deliver all over Donegal. Donegal oil being the most expensive.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

eugenedoc1 wrote: »
    Donegal oil being the most expensive.
    They can be at times but I normally haggle a bit with them and I get them down to the same price as their competitors.

I normally order from Donegal Oil as you can be sure you are getting the real thing. There are a couple of suppliers out there that I couldn't say the same about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

www.cheapestoil.ie/
    this is the best site to compare prices and is regularly updated

no matter who you get your oil from you have got to be sure that you are at home.
    the driver can pull a scam that will do you out of 10% of your oil. i know from talking to an ex-oil delivery man.
    make sure that you see the blank docket being inserted to the printer on the side of the lorry.
    i can explain in detail if anyone cares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

hey folks,

Anyone know any good home heating oil prices around letterkenny at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

swillyfuels.ie looks cheap enough you have to order online though I would be concerned their site has no security for credit card etc

Mistermouse, your e-mail address for swilly fuels when googgled gives up lots of things but not the homepage right away will you check it out and re-post I'd like to check a few prices myself, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nonsmoker

I would only buy a drum of oil from a petrol pump if it was an emergency, very expensive to be using them all the time.

• Advertisement

http://www.swillyfuels.ie/ They have price calculator on the site with 500l today €370 up[ from €335 just over a week ago. and thats before the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

nonsmoker wrote: »
    I would only buy a drum of oil from a petrol pump if it was an emergency, very expensive to be using them all the time.

In the past when the difference between North and South prices wasn't that much, this was correct, but its not any more.

Last week I brought 3 x 25litre drums of oil down. The price per litre from the NI suppliers, including service station forecourts, was 49p. Thats £245 (approx €292) per 500litres.

The best price I can see at present in North Donegal is €365. Thats a massive difference, if you could be bothered bringing your fuel down in small quantities at a time.

In the past, the hassle wasn't worth it. Now its becoming more acceptable.

No dought they'll nip this in the bud soon, 45 gallon drums yer only man , been doing it for 10 years but if people keep bringing it up on Boards they wont be long honing in on us, best to keep it on the qt and use the phone to get prices, what do you think!!

Although I have to add that I spilled about 2 litres of the last batch all over myself, the tank and the garden, so I got really peeved off and swore that I wouldn't do it again any time soon.

Edit: as I asked on another thread, why is it illegal to bring down heating oil for personal use, when it doesn't apply to other goods. You can go buy food, drink, clothes, electricials etc in NI and bring them over the border, so why not heating oil. You pay VAT to the UK Gov on it just like all those other things. This legal argument always confused me. Why is oil different?

Priced Kerosene in Strabane for the heck of it yesterday, 55p per litre and a 20callon drum is £3 if you don't supply one.

Recently checked it here to buy in small quantities at 76c per litre. There is a saving but may not be much if you have to travel a bit to get there.

Shops in letterkenny selling drums complete 20l for €22.50 while a 20l complete drum in Strabane £14. (where I say complete I mean them supplying the drum that holds just over 20l but they only fill 20l)

£50 stg translated to just under €61 yesterday in exchange rates

It has to be said and in todays Donegal News that locally they hiked the price significantly in run up to budget and some even according to the paper said it rose in the budget which is untrue.

It appears all local companies ripped us off in the past few weeks expecting a hike and bad weather.

Homework done and lesson learned.

Priced Kerosene in Strabane for the heck of it yesterday, 55p per litre and a 20callon drum is £3 if you don't supply one.

Recently checked it here to buy in small quantities at 76c per litre. There is a saving but may not be much if you have to travel a bit to get there.

Shops in letterkenny selling drums complete 20l for €22.50 while a 20l complete drum in Strabane £14. (where I say complete I mean them supplying the drum that holds just over 20l but they only fill 20l)

£50 stg translated to just under €61 yesterday in exchange rates

It has to be said and in todays Donegal News that locally they hiked the price significantly in run up to budget and some even according to the paper said it rose in the budget which is untrue.

It appears all local companies ripped us off in the past few weeks expecting a hike and bad weather.

Homework done and lesson learned.

Nice to see that the good old Irish spirit is alive and well.:mad:

In the past we would have reeled at suppliers jacking up prices for no reason, now its almost expected. Its dog eat dog.

Advertisement