Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year Abroad

• 07-08-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Right so basically I'm considering doing a year abroad in an American High School, or half a year anyway with the idea of staying with an American Host Family... Thats right, some families are willing to take mad paddys for the year.. and sure how could they resist?
    I'm seeking some advice from you guys if any of ye may have done it, or are considering doin it as a substitute for Transition Year. The programme which our school offers is quite poor and I'm not considering doing it, so I belive the year abroad may be a nice, life changing alternative.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Really depends on your outlook and reasons for taking a year out. A lot of people I knew back in school went for a year aupairing in France or Spain, obviously to improve their languages as they were interested in something in college language based. They really benefitted from that but said that they were treated like slaves for the year.

A lot of people go off on volunteer years in Africa. Thats more popular in the UK though via the GAP year. Not sure what a year in the States would be all about. If its a year just living with a host family, pissing about and not doing anything, I would say avoid it. But if its a temp working visa type thing whereby you would get some work experience in whatever field you are interested in, then I would say really do your homework on it.

A year out can be very enlightening. Especially if you're young and not entirely sure what you want to do in college.
    Maybe talk to your careers person in your school about it and find out as much as you can about what exactly you would be doing before you make a final decision. Theres no point going someplace for a year and then getting sick of it after say 3 months.

Also, maybe consider those TEFL courses. You can do them online yourself in the space of a few months and then head off to Asia or somewhere.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Why did you post this in the JC and LC forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

My best guess is so he could get an opinion from people in the same situation as him and from people who have taken a "gap" year and to see if it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Hey,
    Oddly enough I was just talking to one of my friends (he's German) and he said his experience in the USA was amazing and thinks veryone should do it. That being said though his main reason was to improve his English (he's now fluent). Honestly if you're still in school I'd recommend doing something to improve your languages, otherwise you will just be pissing about in the USA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Its way harder getting drink over in America as well, you'd want to try and sort something out before yeh go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

THFC wrote: »
    Its way harder getting drink over in America as well, you'd want to try and sort something out before yeh go...

The OP actually sounds like he/she wants to do something with his/her life, so I doubt this is a primary concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

number10a wrote: »
    The OP actually sounds like he/she wants to do something with his/her life, so I doubt this is a primary concern.
    Ya but he probably wants to enjoy himself as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

You need to start investigating official exchange programs as you will need them to sponsor you for the appropriate visa. Also, as you are a minor they should provide some kind of guardian for you for your time in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

THFC wrote: »
    Ya but he probably wants to enjoy himself as well...

Shít! Of course! Impossible to enjoy yourself over there without drinking. Stupid me, should've remembered. By "nice, life changing alternative", I'm guessing the OP didn't mean doing exactly the same stuff as what they can do here - i.e. knacker drinking, but with different people. I could be wrong though. If I am, I'd like to recommend these guys who have helped me out before. Worked like a charm. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

number10a wrote: »
    Shít! Of course! Impossible to enjoy yourself over there without drinking. Stupid me, should've remembered. By "nice, life changing alternative", I'm guessing the OP didn't mean doing exactly the same stuff as what they can do here - i.e. knacker drinking, but with different people. I could be wrong though. If I am, I'd like to recommend these guys who have helped me out before. Worked like a charm. :D

(a) that's illegal
    (b) it won't work - only US driver's licenses and passports are accepted here
    (c) he'll be hanging out with other high school students who won't be able to drink or go to bars either. There are lots more things to do in the evenings here that aren't in pubs, e.g. my local coffee shop serves food + wine + beer + coffee and they have live music a few nights a week

Actually sorting out an exchange and getting a visa should be the most important consideration at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The OP is TY age, so I would imagine drinking and driving are out.

You should make sure it's a structured programme, one involving either learning new language or life skills, otherwise it could just be an expensive waste of a year.

I know one young lad whose mother took him on a round the world roughing it backpacking trip instead of TY. He certainly learned a lot about the real world and more importantly himself.

Advertisement