Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timing belt and basic service for a 02 TDI golf.

• 07-08-2010 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hello just a few questions for anyone in the motor thread here.
    Im just back from austrailia after two years and i didnt manage to sell my TDI golf before i went so shes been siting idle for that time so im going to get a few quotes on monday but would like to know what im going to pay for the timing belt change and a basic service ie filters and oil change?
    Made sweet f - all in oz so money is tight and would like rough idea?
    Also anything i should look out for because of the long idle spell?
    Battery should be charged by tomorrow so i might take it for a spin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Reckon you looking about 250 - 300 for timing belt change along with water pump and tensioner. Probably about 180 for a decent service.
    I have a Volvo S40 1.9d and thats what I paid for timing belt. Shopped around at that. Some charging more.
    Fair bit of work in it. Would change petrol in it too. Probably dirt on brake discs as well so would take it easy on braking for a while.
    Would reccommend getting a full service done before driving at all if possible. Might save you in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

....my TDI golf...
    christy02 wrote: »
    ...Would change petrol in it too.....
    :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I know you should empty the tank and put fresh petrol in for petrol cars, but I don't know if you should do the same for diesel.

I would try to avoid driving it for prolonged periods until you at least change the oil and filter, if you are going to drive it check the oil first.
    It would probably be wise to replace the lot after sitting for 2 sitting for two years, air, fuel, oil filters, new glow plugs, oil and timing belt and water pump.

You could do everything except for the belt yourself if your trying to keep costs down, the oil and filters are easy and the plugs just needs a ratchet and socket.

Also check the brake, coolant, power steering fluid levels, and top up/renew as needs be.
    The discs will clean themselves but take it easy for the first while as you'll damage your pads if you suddenly jam on the brakes.

Check your tyres, if the tyre walls look cracked and perished (cheack the inside wall as well) you might want to consider changing them.

Advertisement