Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can DVD RW drive age and start to fail burns ??

• 07-08-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I have a 2 x DVD RW drives in my PC for the last 2 years and had no problems up to receiently. But now it sems that my burns mainly fail, this happens on both drives.

Can DVD RW drives age and lose calibration?

Or could it be my media, I have a box of Verbatim x4 speed and they all seem to be failing, some might play for 10 minutes then stop...

Also, 700Mb files seem to be ok, it's manily a peoblem on larger 1.5G or 2G files....

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Process of elimination...

It's either
    a) the CD/DVDs that you are using.
    b) one of the drives is failing, which they certainly can do.
    c) there is an issue with the software you are using to burn.

so just try burning with both drives, with different CD/DVDs, and different software (try CDBXP http://cdburnerxp.se/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭trackerman

Process of elimination...

It's either
    a) the CD/DVDs that you are using.
    b) one of the drives is failing, which they certainly can do.
    c) there is an issue with the software you are using to burn.

so just try burning with both drives, with different CD/DVDs, and different software (try CDBXP http://cdburnerxp.se/ )

Thank Jonathan,
    I will try different media and software as the cheapest next step, if that fails I will probably have to order a new drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I had to replace my DVD burner last week, was burning discs no problem, but the discs would not play, or play badly, on a standalone DVD player. New burner and all is good!
    They do fail, and it's probably the cause of your complaint, but worth doing the elimination process as suggested before you swap out the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

trackerman wrote: »
    Thank Jonathan,
    I will try different media and software as the cheapest next step, if that fails I will probably have to order a new drive.

It's probably unlikely that both CD/DVD drives have failed. Could you just remove one and then carry out all the tests with it, choose the better of the two to start with.. ?

Is there any reason why you MUST have two in the computer... If it was me I would just keep the best one (assuming it's working).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try dvd lens cleaner, kit, 2 euro in 2 euro shop,5 euro in tv shop.
    a little bit of dust can stop it working properly.
    i used it before,and it works.

• Advertisement

ricman wrote: »
    try dvd lens cleaner, kit, 2 euro in 2 euro shop,5 euro in tv shop.
    a little bit of dust can stop it working properly.
    i used it before,and it works.

Worth a shot, thanks.

It's probably unlikely that both CD/DVD drives have failed. Could you just remove one and then carry out all the tests with it, choose the better of the two to start with.. ?

Is there any reason why you MUST have two in the computer... If it was me I would just keep the best one (assuming it's working).

I had two for on the fly copying, but don't need it this facility any more.
    The top drive fails 100% of the time, even on small files.
    The lower drive (less use) works on 700Mb files but fails on 2Gb files.

So it seems to be age or dust related, I will try cleaning since the room is fairly dusty.

Amazingly simple fix, thanks ricman... cleaned it with a home made cleaning disk.

Just some cotton wool, glue and an old disk... and cost me nothing.
    Works a treat.

Found the tip here:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4683382_cddvd-lens-cleaner-disc.html

Advertisement