Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beaten by the Mountain

• 07-08-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭

Decided as part of my route today around Wicklow to Cycle up to the Sally Gap over Lough Tae. Got about 3/4s of the way to the lake and had to turn back. Had no power in my legs for the climb and it just wrecked my head and my cycle. Was looking to do around 100k but only got in 70k. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Some Days you do some days you dont. Thats what keeps you going back out onthe bike;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Get your gearing right or learn to pace it better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Try again tomorrow and eat more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

The Sally Gap is not easy but keep going-you'll get there.

And when you do it's a great feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I did get up to it earlier in my cycle from Glendalough up Military Road but wanted to give it a go up and over the lake. and back down to Glendalough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The Lough Tay side is probably the toughest but if you managed it from the Laragh direction, you will get up it alright. Give it another go.

Edit: Missed "earlier in my cycle" - in fairness, doing it twice in one run is tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

If I run out of power while climbing a hill, I generally prefer to get off and walk the bike to the top of the hill while eating*. After that, I'm always fine to continue onwards. Then again, I'm not a Euro cyclists and I don't care (much) about being seen doing the "walk of shame". :)

*May not be an option if you wear SPD-SLs or other road cleats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

The Lough Tay side is probably the toughest but if you managed it from the Laragh direction, you will get up it alright. Give it another go.

Edit: Missed "earlier in my cycle" - in fairness, doing it twice in one run is tough.

+1

Doing it once from the Lough Tay side (I also think that's the toughest) is hard enough but twice is maybe a bridge too far if you're inexperienced but it'll come. Can't fault your bottle though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smithwicks

I had tourists egging me on yesterday on Lough Tay side. A bit embarrassing, and i'm glad no other cyclists seen what looked like a king of the mountains type scene!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Some of those replies made me feel a little better about it until I saw the route again for the orwell cycle next Sunday :D.

Should also say thanks to the guy in the Toyota who drove by me and then turned around to see was I ok when i was off the bike "resting" my legs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Oh hills! I did a 100km cycle on Thursday, on the exact route of the Tour of Louth, and there is a nasty enough hill at Jenkinstown, Magic Hill way (probably nothing compared to the Sally Gap though!) and I was finding it very tough going - I was nearly in the lowest (granny) gear going very slowly.

An enjoyable cycle though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cylced tro Ashford - Devil's Glen - Annamoe last week, nearly killed me as the hr topped 170 going past the Devil's Glen needed some lower gears ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Keep hammering away man, eventually you will power over the sally gap and wonder what all the fuss was about!! Give it time and get lots of miles in your legs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

170 is a normal HR going hard on a bike. Going up hill is going hard regardless of fitness level. The fitter you are the faster you go...to misquote G LeMond. You can better sustain that level of HR the more you get up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

gerardduff wrote: »
    170 is a normal HR going hard on a bike.

It's entirely dependent on the individual.

Advertisement