Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Your Round In At The Bar

Options
  • 07-08-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Seeing as this is After Hours, I thought this thread was most appropriate here.

Do you have any tales of people who completely disregard the rules of Pint Etiquette? What are the hard-and-fast rules of rounds, anyway?

The other night there was a group of us out and there was one long-term couple who went together as one when it was their turn to get their round in. I thought that was very cheeky, especially since most of us were on pints (to rub salt in the wound, I was on Lucozade because I was driving) and the girl in this pair was on vodka & tonic.

I have an 18-year-old cousin who seems to think that her age exempts her from getting her round in when there's a family get-together. Normally I wouldn't begrudge this of someone who's much younger, but she has expensive tastes -- brandy and diet coke.

I notice that rounds are more common with an older crowd than a younger one.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭LowOdour

i always get the first round in if there is a gang...they will usually remember ive bought at least one round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I don't know why people in large groups agree to buy rounds on a night out. I never agree to rounds if i'm with more than 3 people in a pub. I'm not being stingy it's just too dam awkward and you end up paying more for drink as if it wasn't expensive enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

The other night there was a group of us out and there was one long-term couple who went together as one when it was their turn to get their round in.

I absolutely detest this from couples.

My round, their round :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I much prefere to buy my own drink and not do rounds.

But when we do them, i always make sure to get my round in. Hate people buying drinks for me all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Got a mate like that ... he ows me a vat of Guinness at this stage. Plenty of IOUs or just simply accepting drinks when its other peoples round, going to the bar when its his and coming back with a pint for only himself! >:|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

445279.ie wrote: »
    I absolutely detest this from couples.

My round, their round :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, I was wondering if this was an isolated incident, but I suspect it's quite common for couples!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Yeah, I was wondering if this was an isolated incident, but I suspect it's quite common for couples!

when it's your round, get the couple a pint with two straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

God i hate rounds, if and when it does happen i always consider other peoples pockets and ask for a mere pint, next thing i'm paying for double vodkas and red bull or Jack daniels and coke :eek: thank god it only lasts for 1 round most of the time lol rounds stop when recession starts

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

The couples thing drives me mad.

Although at family parties i think it is fair enough that the 18 year old shouldnt have to be buying rounds for the aunts/uncles/older cousins (potentially working)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

LowOdour wrote: »
    i always get the first round in if there is a gang...they will usually remember ive bought at least one round

with an ever increasing group that can be the cheapest. I once waited - back when I lived in Ireland - until we had gone to Cafe En Seine, and picked up some mercenary women. Since this was past the famous En Seine witching hour when prices went up to 6€ a pint or more, and God knows what the cocktails were, the whole thing came to close to €100.

Just saying. First is best. You dont come across as mean, but it can be cheaper.

Word to wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Once knew a lad who always joined a group of 2 or 3 and always bought his round on time every time,seemed innocent enough untill someone pointed out that he always bought last in any round.

if there was 3 of us he bought the 3rd drink,he could not lose

if we had 3 drinks he bought 3 drank 3

if we had 4 drinks he bought 3 drank 4

if we had 5 drinks he bought 3 drank 5

if we had 6 drinks he bought 6 drank 6

if we had 7 drinks he bought 6 drank 7
    and so on.I would never have copped on and was in his round lots of times over a couple of years till someone else pointed it out.

He died of a brain hemorrhage a couple of years later,good enough for the tight basturd.Karma is a bitch.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I never do rounds, easier and cheaper to just buy your own drink.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I usually try to avoid rounds, and if I go in one, it'd only be four or five people including myself. Gets messy after that I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If I'm doing rounds I'll only do them with certain mates, ones who drink like me. If there is say four of us in the round, after the fourth round we'll make sure everyone is staying for another four before we start another round.

Tell the couple to cope the **** on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hmm mmm, I have a weak bladder, and when it's near my turn I need to use the toilet :P

Don't do rounds, cheaper to buy your own drink. Why spend 40 euro in one go? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Ronin247 wrote: »
    He died of a brain hemorrhage a couple of years later,good enough for the tight basturd.Karma is a bitch.

Holy ****! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Seeing as this is After Hours, I thought this thread was most appropriate here.

Do you have any tales of people who complete disregard the rules of Pint Etiquette? What are the hard-and-fast rules of rounds, anyway?
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Once knew a lad who always joined a group of 2 or 3 and always bought his round on time every time,seemed innocent enough untill someone pointed out that he always bought last in any round.

if there was 3 of us he bought the 3rd drink,he could not lose

if we had 3 drinks he bought 3 drank 3

if we had 4 drinks he bought 3 drank 4

if we had 5 drinks he bought 3 drank 5

if we had 6 drinks he bought 6 drank 6

if we had 7 drinks he bought 6 drank 7
    and so on.I would never have copped on and was in his round lots of times over a couple of years till someone else pointed it out.

I don't understand this...
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

I dont mind doin rounds if its with the right people.... usually wouldnt do rounds with more than 4 r 5 people or sometimes well split in 2 if some are drinkin pints, and some are drinkin vodkas or whatever...its fairer at times, and your usually drinkin at da same pace then.....

Last summer we all used to put money in a "kitty".... say 30 euro each to start and jus buy the rounds out of that... handy for sharin mixers or whatever, and everyone pays the same.... any money left used towardds taxi :D everyone was happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Any time I'm out, the booze is always bought in rounds. Never had any problems with it, but then again, I only go drinking with people I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Can't stand couples that act as one in rounds. Drives me insane.

Usually only work in small rounds of three, max 4. Gets messy after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

:o

That's a helpful and thoughtful contribution right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I have no problem doing rounds. I am out with my buddies, I trust them and they trust me. We aren't out trying to screw each other over and it all balances out. Fortunately we don't have any of those problem friends or couples.
    Not taking part in rounds is fine by me, each to their own but being sneaky and stingy in rounds means that you will most certainly not be invited out again. I am not going to drink with someone who has no moral issues with dipping their hands in to my wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I dont do rounds with more than just two when I can avoid it, I hate having extra drinks in front of me when im drinking slowly and waiting for a drink when im ahead.

I have been guilty of the odd saying "does anyone want a drink" while im running towards the bar before anyone can answer though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

At least we know how to order rounds. I used to work in Fitzsimon's and we'd get the English hens nights in every week.

Can I get a half a larger.
    Another half a larger.
    Vodka and coke.
    Another coke.
    Vodka and lemonade.
    -Red ow White?
    What are you talking about?
    -I'll give you a white.
    And a white wine.
    Red wine.
    Another white wine.
    And a half a larger.

*gets drinks*

Oh we want to pay separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Had a friend in Barcelona who was a really nice guy but would never buy a drink. Me or another mate would usually offer to buy the first, then second, we'd sit there with empty glasses until one of us would go to the bar and just buy our two.

One night we were out and getting rounds of shots in. He asked, did you guys not get me one, and we said well you owe us a good ten each at this stage. He wasn't impressed but he didn't argue. Never did get that drink though.

I always do rounds when out with good mates, and if I arrive late I get the round in. "Newcomer's in" I say, which doesn't sit well with some of my mates if they arrive and ask who's round it is.

I also hate lads who say "who's getting the next one in?" when we're all still on the first round. "You can, you tight b@astard" is what I always say

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Going in a round with more than four is always gonna be messy. Your talkin 5 drinks each min if its five people and if its to work out again, ye'll have to have 10 drinks each ....all around the same price and drink at the same pace. Sounds retarded to me.

As a student Ill do rounds the odd time with one of my mates....max three. We're never in the pub long enough to have 10 drinks each anyway.

If the couples pulled that ****e with any of us we wouldn't be long buying them one drink and two straws.

And ya when Im out with my bros they do rounds and pay for me....I dont have a say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I dont like buying rounds at all,I'll buy my own and thats all..........unless theres a lady with me of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

eightyfish wrote: »
    At least we know how to order rounds. I used to work in Fitzsimon's and we'd get the English hens nights in every week.

Can I get a half a larger.
    Another half a larger.
    Vodka and coke.
    Another coke.
    Vodka and lemonade.
    -Red ow White?
    What are you talking about?
    -I'll give you a white.
    And a white wine.
    Red wine.
    Another white wine.
    And a half a larger.

*gets drinks*

Oh we want to pay separately.

You thinks thats bad? I used to work in a pub where the local old foaks home would come in, order a "round" of 15 drinks and then pay for ir each seperaltly *shakes head* old people

Advertisement