Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Your Round In At The Bar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ugh I hate rounds. Keeping in sync with the pace of others and remembering who wants what becomes too much after a few hours of drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

'rounds', makes it sound like a sport. I dont like it at all, why cant people choose their own pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

As a barman, rounds are the most headwrecking thing ever. Trying to remember 10 different drinks. Ill just serve one person then the next and then the next. A lot easier for barman and customer. Nobody is screwed out of any money or drink and everyones a lot happier. If there is two or three people all on the same drink then fair enough, otherwise its just pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I don't bother with rounds much. Nearly always guaranteed to have someone whinging about how it is someone elses turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

6 or 7 of us on rounds last St.Stephens day in a pub in the village, fairly packed and the round was getting awkward. One of the lads in the round went and got the last round of pints.

We all went on to the night club except the lad on the last round. Said he was broke and would go to another pub in the village. We said grand, goodluck.

Next day he pipes up boasting that the last round was on the house, our xmas drink and he didnt pay for it. Stingy ****er. Was pissed off for a long while over that one. Should copy and paste this into the stingiest thread.

edit: rounds are sh!te if theres more than 3 in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I'd only do rounds with my closest friends cause I can trust them, normally what happens is we will split into smaller groups for rounds cause some of us drink faster than others..

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

My brother and his wife always make sure to buy their own round when in a round. . Although he has to remind her. . . .also, when a gang of us leaves the pub for the niteclub some sap will go off and buy a round of cheap apple shots- without consulting- and you have to stomach that sh1te . . Sorry, you made a mistake- i wasn't drinking frog's p1ss!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hate rounds, alcohol + keeping track of things (whose round, how many drinks, any new arrivals) = fail.
    After about 4 or 5 rounds I'm too well sauced to care!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Louthdrog wrote: »
    As a barman, rounds are the most headwrecking thing ever. Trying to remember 10 different drinks. Ill just serve one person then the next and then the next. A lot easier for barman and customer. Nobody is screwed out of any money or drink and everyones a lot happier. If there is two or three people all on the same drink then fair enough, otherwise its just pointless.

Rounds are fine as long as they're ordered properly, give me all the drinks at once and I'll remember, I may even remember next time so all they've to say is same again. The odd time you'd get someone ordering. "Pint of Heineken", "No bother." Take an order off someone else while pouring. Give them the pint, "Vodka and Coke as well." Give them that. "Bottle of wine." Served. " and a pint of Guinness." :mad: Meanwhile there's someone looking at me waiting for the drink they ordered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I fucking hate rounds!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I don't mind rounds when it 4-5 people or a group of good mates.
    Sometimes it can work out expensive $200-300 a night. But usually its about $150.
    With my mates its all good, it comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i always stand my round, but i work with an absolute scrooge who will take pints off people and then turn around and say he has no money when its his twist, i refuse to include him in rounds but the wanker gets really annoyed when i do it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

As a non drinker, I despise getting into rounds. I have a good group of friends who will not let me buy drinks for them on a night out, stating that it is unfair on me to have to buy alcohol for them when all I'm drinking is lucozade and wind up dropping them home at the end of the night.

I have had occasion to be out with people, who label me as a tight bastard when I say I'll stay on my own for drinks. The way I see it is I'm not drinking €5 drinks why should I have to pay for your €5 drinks......having said that, If out with the girlfriends family or friends I will usually buy a round of drinks for them, which is usually appreciated more than the other rounds that are bought purely because I don't drink.

If I wind up getting sucked into rounds then, I will stand my round, but I will avoid rounds like the plague, it just works out too expensive and very unfair to the non drinker in the group.

• Why do people do rounds? I think it's the most ridiculous thing ever. You always end up spending way more than you wanted, you have to drink at everyone else's pace or you end up with 3 drinks waiting in front of you. I always used to get dragged into them with my boyfriend's mates and ended up spending 50 euro on a round when there's no way I'd have spent that on my own. Now I just insist to leave me out of it, and if they include me anyway, I just say thanks for the drink. I'm not going to be forced into rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Rounds with my regular friends is great, everyone pays their fair share, no expensive tastes, all runs smoothly, saves numerous trips to the bar.

Friends apart, I hate drinking in rounds. Absolutely hate:

The Couples
    Who get a round between them. How do you not understand that you got 2 drinks but are only paying for 1 in return? Over the course of the night, huge saving to them.

The Upgraders
    Those that drink a pint when its their round but change to a "double vodka and redbull" or "brandy & baileys" when its someone else paying. Don't mind so much if its a genuine change but the people who drink a pint on their round everyround but something else when they're not paying.

The PC bridage
    Those that insist on the designated driver getting in a round as "it's only fair". He brought you here, he's bringing you home, it's costing him petrol, you're paying him nothing. The least you can do its get him a free 7-Up. Can't stand people who call on the DD to get their round in. (BTW, I'm never the DD)

The Disappearers
    Those who suddenly vanish as their round approachs. There's a guy at work who it notarious for doing this. Will use any excuse to avoid a round, i.e. toilet, cigarette break, anything and will usually leave it so long that someone else just goes to the bar rather than continue to wait.

Once night, we decided we were sick of him after he dodged yet another round so my round I ordered for everyone but him, when I came back to the table, I apologied for forgetting him and told him I'd go to back to the bar in a minute.....never did..even after he reminded me. Next colleague left him out of the order again, as there was a big group of us he told him he thought he's gone home as noone could find him earlier when it was his round.
    Since then, it doesn't appear to be an issue!

Sorry so long but it does my head in. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Rounds are fine as long as they're ordered properly, give me all the drinks at once and I'll remember, I may even remember next time so all they've to say is same again. The odd time you'd get someone ordering. "Pint of Heineken", "No bother." Take an order off someone else while pouring. Give them the pint, "Vodka and Coke as well." Give them that. "Bottle of wine." Served. " and a pint of Guinness." :mad: Meanwhile there's someone looking at me waiting for the drink they ordered.

That used to piss me off something rotten. When I worked in London, this was rife - I'd ask people if they were at this to give me at least 4 drinks at a time.

If the refused, they paid for Dave's pint in the other bar, and never copped it.

In fairness, some thought they were actually being helpful, in a busy bar, they were being anything but.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

foinse wrote: »
    I have had occasion to be out with people, who label me as a tight bastard when I say I'll stay on my own for drinks.

The only logical interpretation for that is that they were planning on ripping you off in rounds.

Round are grand for 2-3 good friends with similar consumption rates drinking pints. Anything else is a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Anyone who doesnt get their round in needs to have their face smashed in. Assuming of course that they got into a round in the first place.

Let there be no doubt, fannying out of ones round is clearly unacceptable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Just one point on the couples thing, if I'm out with herself and we get stuck in rounds, we'll both stand our round, only I'll be the one going to the bar both times. This is probably a big factor in people thinking that some couples are only buying 1 round.

Of course there are the tight ****ers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

foinse wrote: »
    Just one point on the couples thing, if I'm out with herself and we get stuck in rounds, we'll both stand our round, only I'll be the one going to the bar both times. This is probably a big factor in people thinking that some couples are only buying 1 round.

Of course there are the tight ****ers too.

good pint ;)

I started writing a reply to this about how rounds are more suited to years ago when there would be a group of working men in a local pub buying rounds and how these days it just isn't as applicable due to some people not earning/earning very little, or bars being too busy so you have to carry pretty much all of the drinks at the same time, and also, hate to say it, but the awkward drinks people (mainly girls) order as if you have loads of money and loads of arms.

Then I got too angry and typed till I couldn't remember what the point was anymore.

Point is, rounds are a no-no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Sound Bite wrote: »
    The PC bridage
    Those that insist on the designated driver getting in a round as "it's only fair". He brought you here, he's bringing you home, it's costing him petrol, you're paying him nothing. The least you can do its get him a free 7-Up. Can't stand people who call on the DD to get their round in. (BTW, I'm never the DD)

You have no understanding of the term "PC".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

You have no understanding of the term "PC".

Why thank you for pointing that out.
    I must bow to your superior wisdom & knowledge.:rolleyes:

This is the most thing that bugs me about Boards, the grammar/spelling nazis, the idiots that feel the need to correct everything.

Everyone else understands what I mean, this is AH, get a life..

(To everyone else, apologies for dragging this off topic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

:o
    That's a helpful and thoughtful contribution right there.

Oh St._Andalou

/shakes head and wonders

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I've got 2 memories of round-avoiders.

One was a couple who used the "we're together" thing. I don't remember it ever being sorted out but there were a few arguments.

The other one is a master class in how to avoid buying rounds.

In Australia about 20 years ago there were 4 of us who drank together regularly. One guy, we'll call him Mark (cos that was his name :D) used every trick in the book.
    • Hold the door for everyone so you're last to the bar.
    • Always buy the last drink in the round because there's a good chance you won't get hit for a second one.
    • If the others insist on you entering the bar first, make a beeline for the toilets.
    • If they wait for you to return from the toilets because it's your round, argue that you bought the last round last time (even if you didn't).
    • Argue that rounds should be bought in alphabetical order and hope that Zachary forgets by the time it's your round.
    • Carry a purse thing and separate your money so that the others can see that you only have enough for one round.
    • If they do see that you've enough for more than one round, leave just before it's your turn to buy the second round.
    • Tell whoever has more than half a drink that "you're ok ... yeah?" It might work.

I swear he tried them all, and probably more. Cheap bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

It intrigues me as to how people can possibly enjoy their night out if the are worried about the chance they are going to get stiffed for a round.

I , when I drank I only drank with my friends in rounds , no problems , sometimes one of the lads would buy 2 rounds in a row , so what , it would always comeback.

If you don't trust a person to buy a round or aren't friendly enough to know that person may be a bit short and you and your mates are covering their rounds knowing it will be reciprocated the next time you are out , then don't go drinking in rounds.

I woouldn't go drinking with someone I didn't trust anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I never do rounds, easier and cheaper to just buy your own drink.

The stingy thread is THIS way
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454434

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Not doing rounds isn't stingey at all!

What's stingey is getting involved in a round and taking drinks off others but not buying your fair share!

Advertisement