Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Your Round In At The Bar

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Do please explain how that is stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Sound Bite wrote: »
    Rounds with my regular friends is great, everyone pays their fair share, no expensive tastes, all runs smoothly, saves numerous trips to the bar.

Isn't that what rounds are for?? Couldn't agree more
    The Couples
    Who get a round between them. How do you not understand that you got 2 drinks but are only paying for 1 in return? Over the course of the night, huge saving to them.

Am i the only one who has couple friends who DON'T do this? To be honest, the my mates all drink faster than their wives/fiancées/girlfriends so then lady usually will end up on a separate round cycle with their hubby/fiancée/boyfriend
    The Upgraders
    Those that drink a pint when its their round but change to a "double vodka and redbull" or "brandy & baileys" when its someone else paying. Don't mind so much if its a genuine change but the people who drink a pint on their round everyround but something else when they're not paying.

Again, not something i've experienced. Might get caught for a coke/diet coke if the lady IS drinking with us and IS requiring a refill at the time of the round, but that'd be it.

maybe my drinking buddies are nice people!! ;)
    The PC bridage
    Those that insist on the designated driver getting in a round as "it's only fair". He brought you here, he's bringing you home, it's costing him petrol, you're paying him nothing. The least you can do its get him a free 7-Up. Can't stand people who call on the DD to get their round in. (BTW, I'm never the DD)

Ehh.. Shag off. If i'm not drinking, and i'm driving, then i sure as sh!t am not paying for your booze. I'll buy my sickly minerals all night long by myself, but i'm not going round for round on a drink that's almost twice the price of mine.
    Most nights out i will collect a mate from his house (he lives about 15 miles away from the rest of us) and park up the car for the night then let him get a taxi or whatever home, and he NEVER allows me buy the first drink... Always gets me at least one, and THEN starts a round with him going first.
    The Disappearers
    Those who suddenly vanish as their round approachs. There's a guy at work who it notarious for doing this. Will use any excuse to avoid a round, i.e. toilet, cigarette break, anything and will usually leave it so long that someone else just goes to the bar rather than continue to wait.

Once night, we decided we were sick of him after he dodged yet another round so my round I ordered for everyone but him, when I came back to the table, I apologied for forgetting him and told him I'd go to back to the bar in a minute.....never did..even after he reminded me. Next colleague left him out of the order again, as there was a big group of us he told him he thought he's gone home as noone could find him earlier when it was his round.
    Since then, it doesn't appear to be an issue!

Cure for this is don't get into big rounds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Rounds are fine as long as they're ordered properly, give me all the drinks at once and I'll remember, I may even remember next time so all they've to say is same again. The odd time you'd get someone ordering. "Pint of Heineken", "No bother." Take an order off someone else while pouring. Give them the pint, "Vodka and Coke as well." Give them that. "Bottle of wine." Served. " and a pint of Guinness." :mad: Meanwhile there's someone looking at me waiting for the drink they ordered.

Maybe you should just do your job and remember who pays your wages? The scenario you've outlined doesn't usually happen out of malice...it's usually a late arrival or someone asking to be added to a round. Your customers aren't there to facilitate you - You're there to facilitate them. Your attitude smacks of institutionalisation. You've obviously been a barman for quite a while and feel it gives you the right to make demands of "your customers". It doesn't. You're there to pull pints, be polite, speak when you're spoken to and remember that the customer is always right. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Maybe you should just do your job and remember who pays your wages? The scenario you've outlined doesn't usually happen out of malice...it's usually a late arrival or someone asking to be added to a round. Your customers aren't there to facilitate you - You're there to facilitate them. Your attitude smacks of institutionalisation. You've obviously been a barman for quite a while and feel it gives you the right to make demands of "your customers". It doesn't. You're there to pull pints, be polite, speak when you're spoken to and remember that the customer is always right. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

What a c**t.

seadnamac wrote: »
    What a c**t.

Absolutely.

• Advertisement

What a c**t.
    Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Looks like the barman's union have mobilised. A barman is ranting and raving about a paying customer ordering a round of drinks and then asking "by the way can I have a pint of Guinness too", but I'm the c..t?

You idiots need to take a long hard look at yourselves. We're in a recession and tourist numbers are collapsing. Our 'USP' was always our friendliness. Barmen with attitudes do nothing for this image. They're there to pull the pints and be nice to the punters - NOT to pontificate unreasonably about the ordering habits of the people that ultimately pay their wages.

Try and see the big picture. And do your f..king job.

I would pity any person in the service sector that has to deal with your type. Climb down from your pedastal before you lose your balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you are drinking with a small group who drink regularly together, drinking similarly priced drinks, in the bar for a few hours, I've got no problem with it. But if I'm on say a Guiness and there were 4 ladies wanting double vodkas & redbull, forget it !

For the barman annoyed with someone adding a Guiness after he's done the rest of the round, Relax! pour the Guiness, take the money, let the customer wait for the pint to settle....

Looks like the barman's union have mobilised. A barman is ranting and raving about a paying customer ordering a round of drinks and then asking "by the way can I have a pint of Guinness too", but I'm the c..t?

You idiots need to take a long hard look at yourselves. We're in a recession and tourist numbers are collapsing. Our 'USP' was always our friendliness. Barmen with attitudes do nothing for this image. They're there to pull the pints and be nice to the punters - NOT to pontificate unreasonably about the ordering habits of the people that ultimately pay their wages.

Well when you put it that way, I firmly stand by my original statement.

By the way, how do you know he had an attitude? Nowhere in his post did it suggest that he displayed his annoyance to the customer. As an experienced barman (I'm presuming), he was probably very polite to the customer and waited for an appropriate time to vent. Perhaps he waited until now. Maybe you should consider things a bit more before you jump on an oppurtunity to be a c**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I was waiting for when the recession word was going to be mentioned in yet another AH thread. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I would pity any person in the service sector that has to deal with your type. Climb down from your pedastal before you lose your balance.

Reflect on posts before replying to them.

I am always polite to service sector staff (when it's reciprocated).

I'm pointing out that it isn't necessarily reasonable for a barman to rant and rave about a customer adding a pint of Guinness to their order.

I'm also pointing out that the barman/shop assistant is there to do a job. If they do their job, they get paid, they're nice to the punter and the punter's nice to them, there shouldn't be a problem. However, if they (i.e. the staff) start pontificating and getting high and mighty, there's nothing wrong with pointing out their role in the greater scheme of things.

Let's ask the owner of the bar what he or she thinks of their barman who gives a customer attitude because they've ordered 4 pints of Heineken, two vodka and Cokes...and a pint of Guinness for their friend who's just arrived.

Big picture vs small picture. Now cop yourselves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Well when you put it that way, I firmly stand by my original statement.

By the way, how do you know he had an attitude? Nowhere in his post did it suggest that he displayed his annoyance to the customer. As an experienced barman (I'm presuming), he was probably very polite to the customer and waited for an appropriate time to vent. Perhaps he waited until now. Maybe you should consider things a bit more before you jump on an oppurtunity to be a c**t.

His post reeks of anger and a misplaced sense of his own importance.

Just like yours reeks of ignorance and rudeness.

The culture of friendliness and politeness we as a nation once prided ourselves upon has been replaced by a sense of entitlement among certain elements within the services sector. They need to remember that they're there to do their job, smile, be polite and keep their odious views to themselves (you should try that last one).

His post reeks of anger and a misplaced sense of his own importance.

The culture of friendliness and politeness we as a nation once prided ourselves upon has been replaced by a sense of entitlement among certain elements within the services sector. They need to remember that they're there to do their job, smile, be polite and keep their odious views to themselves (you should try that last one).

Wow, you're like an uber-c**t.

MOD EDIT: Poster banned.

Here are my two biggest gripes:

Idiots standing around at the bar and preventing other people from being served.

People who don't respect bar queuing etiquette. I ALWAYS say "he's next" if I'm served before someone who was there before me. Conversely, if I'm standing at a bar I won't let anyone sneak in ahead of me (including women who can be quite rude when you ask them where they think they're going and point out that they're not next).

Wow, you're like an uber-c**t.

We clearly have similar views of each other.

Like most people, I spend a good bit of time in bars and pretty much anytime I see or hear someone tagging a Guinness onto an order, it's because the Guinness drinker has just arrived or joined the round or asked for a drink. Therefore I don't see why a barman feels he's entitled to moan about it. Especially when "the customer is always right". Like it or not, service sector workers are there to facilitate the customer, NOT the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I hate rounds full stop pretty much - I like drinking at my own pace and not feeling like I have to skull this one quickly because the rest of the group is waiting on me - it's so much easier to just buy your own drinks

the only argument for rounds is if there's 3-4 there and you know your gonna take 3-4 pints and then move on - saves everyone splitting a new note for every drink and going home with a pocket full of change

any more than that in a group and it's not worth the effort and worry of people trying to skip there round - and you also have the problem of people drinkin at different rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Kasabian wrote: »
    Oh St._Andalou

/shakes head and wonders

:o

Wonder about what? This is the after hours thread, to rant and talk about things that aren't suitable anywhere else. It's just shooting the breeze.

If you think that someone has posted something irrelevant, pointless, or stupid, that's fair enough. Don't reply, or at least post something of substance.

It's just odd that there are people who post a message that has one smiley and think it is a cutting or arch contribution.

So shake your head and wonder all you want.

:D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused::pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

My manager pays my wages. If a customer ever says that to me I say grand, I've been left short 50 quid, and put out my hand. The scenario I've outlined happens plenty of times without someone arriving late in.

With regards as to your views as to what barman are there for are actually a bit sickening. I'm a human being. Not a fuking slave. Then again, I'm the kind of person that treats someone the same, whether binman or doctor. You obviously never worked as a barman if you think it's just pulling pints. The customer is most certainly not always right, that's one of the first things you have to learn in the service industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Funny I thought this of your posts while the barmans post was perfectly fine to me.

If you read his annoyance at the situation you will clearly see it was several drinks ordered one at a time, not just one pint of guinness added at the end, I think the barman in this case is completely justified to find this method of ordering annoying and the customer always being right is complete bollox.

Personally i hate rounds myself, i cannot stand any sort of beer or cider so i always drink spirits and mixers so i dislike getting into rounds as i don't like other people paying for my more expensive drinks so i try and politely refuse but some people can get offended by this even if i point out i don't drink beers so to avoid offending them i will go into rounds with them if it is a small enough group so i can buy the mixers on my rounds so when its the others turn they only get me the spirit.

• Advertisement

Maguined wrote: »
    Personally i hate rounds myself, i cannot stand any sort of beer or cider so i always drink spirits and mixers so i dislike getting into rounds as i don't like other people paying for my more expensive drinks so i try and politely refuse but some people can get offended by this even if i point out i don't drink beers so to avoid offending them i will go into rounds with them if it is a small enough group so i can buy the mixers on my rounds so when its the others turn they only get me the spirit.

The insisters are the worst to deal with -- those that insist and won't hear otherwise.

Normally I don't drink to be honest, so I try to avoid rounds. I'll say I'm just going to have a Lucozade or a Coke, and it's then that the "I'll get it you" starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

if i am with a large group of people, i usually try to create mini rounds, ie buy for myself and 2 others and let the others fend for themselves. It is too hard otherwise to keep tabs on your round, also too expensive and awkward to buy for any more

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't like them. I tend to drink faster than my friends, so I'll be on my second before them. Then it all gets out of sync.
    I've only one friend who drinks at the same pace, so I'll go rounds with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Wonder about what? This is the after hours thread, to rant and talk about things that aren't suitable anywhere else. It's just shooting the breeze.

If you think that someone has posted something irrelevant, pointless, or stupid, that's fair enough. Don't reply, or at least post something of substance.

It's just odd that there are people who post a message that has one smiley and think it is a cutting or arch contribution.

So shake your head and wonder all you want.

:D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused::pac:

His original post went WAAAAAY over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Any more than five people in the group and I'll usually just peel off with a few people and do our own rounds. Usually whoever you end up sitting beside most of the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

when me and my friends are out we do rounds,and it's usually ok. it can be anything from 3 people to 5, 6 maby (one fella lives far away and only comes out the odd bank holiday, won't let anyone go through the hassle of picking him up). one of the lads is tight tho and can 'forget' to get his round, we know him well enough to say 'its your round now, go get it:rolleyes:', its said in a joke, but is serious at the same time and is forgotten about straight away.

it has happened where he has seen a can sitting there unopened and slipped it into his back pocket, then when it came to his round has said, 'sure i'v got one here:D', he was no longer in the round after that:cool:.

when there are 5 of us it can sometimes get a bit messy, but not that often. you will get a drink if one person is talking to someone else and bring it to them or they will go get their round.

this tight lad tho can get annoying at times tho, not going into the nightclub sometimes because he doesn't want to spend the money on entrey. or if were just spinning around and decide to get chips, he might say 'ya, lets get chips' and then not get any, and try to scab a few from whoever he is sitting beside.

anyway, rant over:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

so you're not alowed talk to someone in the bar unless they talk to you first?
    i work in a bar and im always chatting away to the customers.
    its a village pub so im not going to be put to death for speaking without permission.
    and NO the customers are not always right. when people are drunk there always thinking they gave you different amount of money or saying the drinks cudnt cost that much. if the customer was always right my till would be down 50+ on a busy night giving people extra change because they claim they gave me 20 not 10.
    looking over the cameras to check most of the time proves the customer is wrong.

His original post went WAAAAAY over your head.

Yeah, probably. It was a real magnum opus of the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement

My manager pays my wages. If a customer ever says that to me I say grand, I've been left short 50 quid, and put out my hand.

You sound delightful.

Your manager doesn't pay your wages...the customers who frequent your workplace do, and if you alienate them you're threatening your own livelihood.

I see more rude, inept and ignorant bar staff than rude, ignorant and boorish bar customers. Real pros seem to thin on the ground (e.g. the guys in Kehoes). More usually, it's scorpy foreigners and gurriers with a chip on their shoulder.

Advertisement