Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Your Round In At The Bar

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

This post has been deleted.

Of course the customer isn't always right. To take that saying literally is idiotic. However, in the context of a service business during a recession, the view that the customer is always right will help the business's bottom line.

If a customer needs to tag a pint of Guinness on to an order, the barman should do it with zero fuss. No sighing and no throwing eyes up to heaven because "the customer is always right".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Wonder about what? This is the after hours thread, to rant and talk about things that aren't suitable anywhere else. It's just shooting the breeze.

If you think that someone has posted something irrelevant, pointless, or stupid, that's fair enough. Don't reply, or at least post something of substance.

It's just odd that there are people who post a message that has one smiley and think it is a cutting or arch contribution.

So shake your head and wonder all you want.

:D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused::pac:

I think you'll find just one of those little emoticons can express a heck of a lot . Just because you didn't get it doesn't mean you have to try and dismiss the posters contribution to the thread.

I found his post hilarious and that is why I thanked it.If you read your OP again you may spot it.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Kasabian wrote: »
    I think you'll find just one of those little emoticons can express a heck of a lot . Just because you didn't get it doesn't mean you have to try and dismiss the posters contribution to the thread.

I found his post hilarious and that is why I thanked it.If you read your OP again you may spot it.

:)

;)

;)

And sometimes they don't :P :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

eightyfish wrote: »
    At least we know how to order rounds. I used to work in Fitzsimon's and we'd get the English hens nights in every week.

Can I get a half a larger.
    Another half a larger.
    Vodka and coke.
    Another coke.
    Vodka and lemonade.
    -Red ow White?
    What are you talking about?
    -I'll give you a white.
    And a white wine.
    Red wine.
    Another white wine.
    And a half a larger.

*gets drinks*

Oh we want to pay separately.

What's wrong with that bud?

They are paying for their drinks aren't they.

Of course the publicans love the round system, some gannet necked cunt swilling down the drink and everyone else trying to keep up.

Cop yourselves on people, drink at your own pace ,order your own drink,and don't bloat the coffers of the lazy fat-bellied publicans.

Common sense people, common sense.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with that bud?

They are paying for their drinks aren't they.

Of course the publicans love the round system, some gannet necked cunt swilling down the drink and everyone else trying to keep up.

Cop yourselves on people, drink at your own pace ,order your own drink,and don't bloat the coffers of the lazy fat-bellied publicans.

Common sense people, common sense.

Remember people that a high percentage of publicans are also FF TD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Sometimes it is. However, the mans post said that he never does rounds. I assume that includes when hes having a quiet few with 1-2 friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Sometimes it is. However, the mans post said that he never does rounds. I assume that includes when hes having a quiet few with 1-2 friends.

So what if he doesn't do rounds even when out with 1 or 2 friends? If he pays for his own drink how is it stingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    So what if he doesn't do rounds even when out with 1 or 2 friends? If he pays for his own drink how is it stingy?

Perhaps my opinion is not shared by others. To answer your specific question, I find that his fear of someone skipping a round can be seen as stingy. Personally I've not worried about such things since i left college. Don't sweat the small stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Louthdrog wrote: »
    As a barman, rounds are the most headwrecking thing ever. Trying to remember 10 different drinks. Ill just serve one person then the next and then the next. A lot easier for barman and customer. Nobody is screwed out of any money or drink and everyones a lot happier. If there is two or three people all on the same drink then fair enough, otherwise its just pointless.

Obviously you're not a good barman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It started in French and was originally "the customer is never wrong", subtle difference, but it was supposed to be an admonition for sales people on how to deal with customers ie: don't out and out call them wrong, it's antagonistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Onkle wrote: »
    Obviously you're not a good barman
    Im not, im part time while im in college. Couldnt give a flying flip about the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Couldnt give a flying flip about the job.

What a refreshing attitude...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Sound Bite wrote: »
    Why thank you for pointing that out.
    I must bow to your superior wisdom & knowledge.:rolleyes:

This is the most thing that bugs me about Boards, the grammar/spelling nazis, the idiots that feel the need to correct everything.

Everyone else understands what I mean, this is AH, get a life..

(To everyone else, apologies for dragging this off topic).

"PC brigade is the most overused and still incorrect acronym on the forums. Stop throwing it about like your some kind of rebel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

What a refreshing attitude...

Why would ya, it's not like customers are ever decent to the barman.
    poor f*cker are treated terribly in Ireland

to the OP, i never ever enter rounds, i always buy my own beer when i'm out, that way i drink at my own pace and my friends have to drink at my pace and i dont have to drink at theirs, the rounds things is stupid and you just end up with a load of people outta their heads on booze.

the round "etiquette" only exists in Ireland and britain you dont see in in countries where they have a better attitude to alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

I was down in Kielys of Mount Merrion last night, and some outsider was trying to buy everyone a drink, The guy was there shouting "there on me tonight lads"

Basically to cut a long story short right, his MasterCard was declined. So the bar man goes can I have a quiet word, The guy shouts why?? "There are insufficient funds on that credit card" says the bar man.

Everyone ended up paying for there drinks, while I sat there with the guys LMAO for about 2 hour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm all for getting a round in early - partly because it's easier for me to remember buying a round than not buying a round. I could always say "yes, I got a round" without having to think too hard. When I was out with guys from work, we'd naturally do "half rounds" e.g. in a group of eight, you'd buy three or four at a time. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I never let a round miss me, but I'm a divil for "borrowing" a smoke.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

With the amont of people on the thread that dislike rounds it seems like if internet people were real and not my over active imagination then rounds would almost cease to exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rounds are ****ing retarded. I don't know whether it's something people start doing at a certain age or whether it is dying out as obviously the youths don't usually get involved with this nonsense.

Hopefully it dies out along with lots of other retarded archaic nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Me and my mates just gather together the money needed and send 1 guy up to the bar to get the drinks, the next time a different guy is sent up.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

The-Rigger wrote: »
    obviously the youths don't usually get involved with this nonsense.
    me and my friends are from 18-20 and we do rounds:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

again as a barman, rounds arent bad. as long as the person doesnt ask one by one. like the long neck bottles in the pub i work in are in the bac bar and some times peole would be am. a bottle of coors and then when i come back with it they ask for a bud. i suppose i wudnt mind it with non locals but all the locals even know where the drink is and most people will ask for them together. its just that 1 or 2 some times that annoys me.

i really dont see what the big deal is with guinness? you dont have to stand around and watch it set. serve more peope and then come back to it. its their fault they have to wait and they normally dont mind because they know it has to set. just take the money and pay for the round and come bac when its set.

im just finished work now and there was a couple and another man down there
    yes they did the whole couples thing.

they were on jd coke jd coke and she had vodka coke.
    they shared a coke and he had his own coke.
    his round was all of it which came to 17euro
    their round was all of it minus 1 his coke at 13.50.
    his next one was a full round again and so on.
    so he was getting two drinks for 17 euro.
    and this went on from 7 till 11.20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As a barman, rounds are the most headwrecking thing ever. Trying to remember 10 different drinks. Ill just serve one person then the next and then the next. A lot easier for barman and customer. Nobody is screwed out of any money or drink and everyones a lot happier. If there is two or three people all on the same drink then fair enough, otherwise its just pointless.

Any barman should be able to remember 10 drinks.
    With experience you'll get better :)
    The way you're currently doing it can be speeded up greatly, good for the customers and good for you too

I hated this too.
    Worked in a hotel function bar, massive hall with over 300 people dancing and it was dark too.
    People ordered big rounds, they'd take them to their table, "oh and a Guinness too, I'll be back for the Guinness and will pay up"

If this was a pub it wouldn't be an issue as you can find your customer and get them to pay.
    Big hall with over 300 hundred people and it's dark then I have to leave the bar, find them and stand by their table to get them back to the bar.
    If they denied it, I'll call security.

"oh and a Guinness too" is a perfectly fine request even if it slows everyone down. But at the end of a big round I'd be watching they don't rip me off, it happened me twice when I was new, it never happened again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kingcantona

I never really do rounds anymore. You would usually always end up pissed doing them due to others in your group drinking faster than you, you either have ta keep up or get another round in early which you'll be in a hurry to drink cause you dont want it to go flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Myself and the OH found a good way out of this, we usually go first and ask everyone at the table (if it's more than 5 though, forget it) what they're having but when they do the same we flat out refuse. This solves any issues with rounds and everyone is happy and clear on whats going on, no fuss - no muss.

If they want to carry on with rounds after that they know to leave us out.:D Then in future, friends know were not going to do rounds and refuse to let us buy them the first drink - we still end up looking sound though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

rounds are only good if

1. the place is packed , saves the hassel queing

2. everybody was drinking the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Unless there's just two of us, I never bother. I hate carrying too many pints at one time, overpaying if people leave, and being forced to 'keep up' rather than drink at my own pace. I honestly don't understand (large queues aside) why people even do rounds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Yeah, gotta love rounds. People generally aren't too hot on me getting their drinks from my hip flask :p

What's worse than some of the tricky stuff ITT is the aghast reaction you get from people when you say you're not doing rounds; "Ohmygawdwhatyou'renotdoingrounds???"

No, I'm not. This country is full of slippery recession-obsessed tightwads who will invariably come out more favourably than me and my humble pint... so it's easier not to.

Advertisement