Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Your Round In At The Bar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Its not much of a culture in my generation of friends when we go out. We tend to just each buy one round each and then we each buy our own drinks after. Usually the same story when out with other groups/family or at a wedding or occasion. If its a big group often we do a kitty so everyone pitches in at some point. Its only fair that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That's one of the things I really like about it here in Germany, everything either gets marked on your beer mat or on a tab behind the counter and you just nod and they will bring you the next drink. No messy queueing or trying to keep up with rounds or fumbling with money or coming home with a half kilo of change in your pocket. Just settle up at the end of the night for what ever you drank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Louthdrog wrote: »
    As a barman, rounds are the most headwrecking thing ever. Trying to remember 10 different drinks. Ill just serve one person then the next and then the next. A lot easier for barman and customer. Nobody is screwed out of any money or drink and everyones a lot happier. If there is two or three people all on the same drink then fair enough, otherwise its just pointless.

I was going to say the same thing as Onkle!
    We clearly have similar views of each other.

Like most people, I spend a good bit of time in bars and pretty much anytime I see or hear someone tagging a Guinness onto an order, it's because the Guinness drinker has just arrived or joined the round or asked for a drink. Therefore I don't see why a barman feels he's entitled to moan about it. Especially when "the customer is always right". Like it or not, service sector workers are there to facilitate the customer, NOT the other way around.

Not really, i feel sometimes that alot of the customers i deal with have never been in a bar before in their lives the way in which they order drinks at a bar One drink at a time and "Oh, and a Guinness please" etc. It really holds up a good barman on busy nights when you get customers like this, this ultimately holds up other customers waiting for drink, and that is what good barmen are worried about - getting thier product over the counter as quickly and as effeciently as possible. Why isn't the barman entitled to moan about it? Do you not find facets of your own job annoying? The poster in question didn't state he showed any annoyance to the customer so what's the problem?
    You sound delightful.

Your manager doesn't pay your wages...the customers who frequent your workplace do, and if you alienate them you're threatening your own livelihood.

I see more rude, inept and ignorant bar staff than rude, ignorant and boorish bar customers. Real pros seem to thin on the ground (e.g. the guys in Kehoes). More usually, it's scorpy foreigners and gurriers with a chip on their shoulder.

Your first point here is the same as every job in every industry. However as in every other job, my boss tells me what to do, not my customers.

Your second is completely untrue however and i can speak from experience on both sides of the counter. There is no doubt that there are some cnuts working in every trade - like every trade - i don't think the percentages are disproportionate at all. Also in my experience there are far FAR (I'll even go as far to say FAR) more rude customers than rude barmen. No contest.

What's wrong with that bud?

What's wrong is a round that should take about 3 minutes to fill took about 10, that's what he's annoyed about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i'd just love it if the guy Master Bateman is arguing with works in Kehoes, and is one of 'real pros'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I hate doing rounds myself. I try to just avoid getting into rounds, and buying my own drink, but sometimes I have no choice because sometimes my friends buy me a drink first, and I feel I have to repay them by buying them a drink as well. Eventually by the end of the night i would proberly have bought 3 drinks or something for other people because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

foinse wrote: »
    Just one point on the couples thing, if I'm out with herself and we get stuck in rounds, we'll both stand our round, only I'll be the one going to the bar both times. This is probably a big factor in people thinking that some couples are only buying 1 round. Of course there are the tight ****ers too.

This goes the same for me. Either I'll go to the bar to order for her (odd time), or the OH is drinking tap water. It has been mentioned (by another girl) about her not getting a round in, but if she's drinking water she/I couldn't give a toss, she's not paying a round for everyone else. The one bint above passed a comment to her about not being shy getting a round in.
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    Rounds are ****ing retarded. I don't know whether it's something people start doing at a certain age or whether it is dying out as obviously the youths don't usually get involved with this nonsense..

In fairness there are times when it's just common sense. When there's a set number in a quiet enough pub and we're going to be there for a while rounds just make things easier, grab a table and go on rounds.

In a very busy pub and with people arriving/leaving different times it becomes a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Not really, i feel sometimes that alot of the customers i deal with have never been in a bar before in their lives the way in which they order drinks at a bar One drink at a time and "Oh, and a Guinness please" etc. It really holds up a good barman on busy nights when you get customers like this, this ultimately holds up other customers waiting for drink, and that is what good barmen are worried about - getting thier product over the counter as quickly and as effeciently as possible.
    i see your point here but why cant you not pay for the round and serve other pople and then top it off when its set?
    thats what i do and its no problem.
    if you are trying to be a good barman you would surely do this. because its the most effecient way.

What's wrong is a round that should take about 3 minutes to fill took about 10, that's what he's annoyed about.

again he surely didnt stand there watching the pint sit when he could be serving other people i presume.

garv123 wrote: »
    i see your point here but why cant you not pay for the round and serve other pople and then top it off when its set?
    thats what i do and its no problem.
    if you are trying to be a good barman you would surely do this. because its the most effecient way.
    That is what i do but it holds you up because you may have another 3 or 4 orders taken because you think the order is done and this guy holds you up by asking for anther drink. Just one more thing to have to remember too!

again he surely didnt stand there watching the pint sit when he could be serving other people i presume.

That post that i referenced had nothing to do with "and a pint of guinness"

It had to do with long winded orders.

what i do find annoying is when people come up to the bar to order a round, ask for it and you put it in the till as your going along to remember it if its a big list and then they walk off or go talking and you cant serve other people because your till has the drink on it so you must get their money before the next person can pay.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm surprised that some posters here say that round buying is done less by younger drinkers than older ones. Surely, if you are in the one place for the night (or even on a pub crawl) and there is the same set of people out for the night, then it makes sense to do rounds. If the bars are busy and it takes 5-7 minutes to get your order, the last thing you'd want to is go up 8 or more times a night to the counter to order your one drink waiting 5+mins each time?? Once I get my round in, the payback is that I needn't worry about enduring the crowd/wait at the bar again for the rest of the night (at least until after the round has gone full circle).I can see that it's not practical if different people are joining/leaving the group during the night thoughAlso, a decent friend would not continually order double shorts and mixers if the rest are just on pints/single shorts etc. (would stop being their friend, if so...!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

clarke1991 wrote: »
    me and my friends are from 18-20 and we do rounds:p

Are ye working?
    prinz wrote: »

In fairness there are times when it's just common sense. When there's a set number in a quiet enough pub and we're going to be there for a while rounds just make things easier, grab a table and go on rounds.

In a very busy pub and with people arriving/leaving different times it becomes a mess.

Wouldn't make sense for me, I hate rounds because you always end up drinking at someone elses pace, usually who ever drinks fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Are ye working?
    4 out of 5 are. can't see how that matters? it usually works out even.

edit: oh and 4 out of 5 are students

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

If there is more than 2 people in the group I never make it to the second round :o.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i hate this whole round thing when your in a group you normally dont go to the pub with etc! when im with the lads in the oul the pub we all get just one round in each and then we look after our selfs after that .if someone doesnt have money they just look after them selves,(with no hard feelings) but if one is stuck, we buy them a pint or two , because the lads in my group remember if someone buys them pint and they re pay it when some else is stuck!the next week,we dont say aww ill get you your first pint cause you got mine last week ,we just say , when im stuck ,just get me one in :)

and if some one leave's the round early , they get 2 rounds in next time to make up for not getting a round in (basically not paying back the lads back with a pint ) if you get me

but when my mates girl friend comes along grrr, that annoys me!i normally drink fosters when im in a pub , not because its cheap but because i like it , but when im on the shorts i take me self out of the round and just look after me self , and same with the others !! but the mates burd drinks the expensive (only the good stuff for yours truly,the princess:P)and then the disappear if were in a pub with music and they go off for a dance or she just keeps moaning about going home and leaves early !! its my mate i feel sorry for , the poor fcuker wont have any money when he comes next week :D:D

i must add aswell im not working ,lost me job and caant find one either(grrrrr) haha and one of the other lads doesnt work , he has a atm machine in his gaf , the mammy and daday bank of ireland , which pisses me off haha its ok for them to go and spend and they arent watching their pennys but some people are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

eightyfish wrote: »
    At least we know how to order rounds. I used to work in Fitzsimon's and we'd get the English hens nights in every week.

Can I get a half a larger.
    Another half a larger.
    Vodka and coke.
    Another coke.
    Vodka and lemonade.
    -Red ow White?
    What are you talking about?
    -I'll give you a white.
    And a white wine.
    Red wine.
    Another white wine.
    And a half a larger.

*gets drinks*

Oh we want to pay separately.

Are you sure it wasn't Chumbawumba?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

to throw a spanner in the works, when you know a group are doing rounds catch one or two of them at the bar and buy them a drink, then they are out of sync and it all crumbles :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Rounds, splitting bills or whatever only work when the individuals don't vary their behaviour because they're in a round. If I'm in a round with someone and they (actually) want a brandy and Coke, then that's what they should order. And if I'm out with a couple, I don't particularly mind buying the girl the odd drink. It's only when people deliberately take the p..s that I've an issue. And it's pretty obvious when someone's doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

As a customer it annoys when other people stick a Guinness at the end of a big order

Just when your about to get served the barman has to go finish the Guinness that should be gone 5mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

You have no understanding of the term "PC".

jesus ZOD. . . You really do know how to encourage creative and funny contributors. . . Give SoundBite a break. . It was very entertaining and we all knew what was meant. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

garv123 wrote: »
    what i do find annoying is when people come up to the bar to order a round, ask for it and you put it in the till as your going along to remember it if its a big list and then they walk off or go talking and you cant serve other people because your till has the drink on it so you must get their money before the next person can pay.
    :cool:

Get a new till system.
    If it can't handle more than one order at a time, then put the abacus in storage and upgrade.

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote: »
    Get a new till system.
    If it can't handle more than one order at a time, then put the abacus in storage and upgrade.
    You do realise that the publicans are struggling as it is without getting a new expensive system in?:D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

It's only when people deliberately take the p..s that I've an issue. And it's pretty obvious when someone's doing that.

Or you have an issue when someone comes on here complaining about one aspect of their job, and that the issue they're complaining about is a perfectly understandable one.

Barman comments on an anonymous internet forum how annoying it is when someone cocks up and adds the Guinness at the end of the order and you go off on some customer service "I'm the customer, so I'm always right, mere staff peons are there to serve me and lick the soles of my shoes clean" rant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Looks like the barman's union have mobilised. A barman is ranting and raving about a paying customer ordering a round of drinks and then asking "by the way can I have a pint of Guinness too", but I'm the c..t?

You idiots need to take a long hard look at yourselves. We're in a recession and tourist numbers are collapsing. Our 'USP' was always our friendliness. Barmen with attitudes do nothing for this image. They're there to pull the pints and be nice to the punters - NOT to pontificate unreasonably about the ordering habits of the people that ultimately pay their wages.

Try and see the big picture. And do your f..king job.

this is also a way of walking off with the round while the barman has to pour and wait for the drink. they just "drop" the rest of the round down to teh table and will be straight back up to pay for the round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I work in a bar and one thing that pisses me off something mkajor is when it's really busy and I'm serving someone at the far side of the bar maybe 10 to 15 feet from the till, give them the drinks and ask how much is that, only to give me a 50. I mean fair enough if you have 3 pints and aren't sure whether 15 or 20 will cover it that's cool. But when people do that and give me the 50 it just creates so much extra hassle. does my head in.

As mentioned earlier, ordering drinks one by one and culminates in a Guiness at the end that does my head in. I asked one man recently who was doing this was he porpusely being obtuse, to which he replied that he thought it was making my life a bit easier. I told him that it's really annoying when someone orders like that and that I'm a good barman if you shout six drinks at me it's ok I will remember them and get them to you so much quicker than one by one. I also mentioned to him, always order a Guiness first if it's in a round as it makes everyone's life a little easier. He ordered off me three times later on that night no hassle and gave me 10 euro tip the end of the night. Was delighted with that needless to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

But when people do that and give me the 50 it just creates so much extra hassle. does my head in.

How?

Rabies wrote: »
    Get a new till system.

am im not buying a new till for a bar i only work in, i think i'l stick to the one thats there thanks.
    the till has different clerk numbers which can be used at diffeent times but we all have our own clerk number to keep track it all. some of the numbers are used for specific things so we cant just use which ever one we want.

How?

Well you have to walk down there with the drinks, go back up to the till to see what it comes to, go back down to them to get the money, go back up to the till with the money, back to them and then back up to serve the money. That's the way with hassle.

Instead I give them drinks, they give me money and don't be tight about it, I go to till get their change and give it to them and serve next customer. See how much easier that is?

Well you have to walk down there with the drinks, go back up to the till to see what it comes to, go back down to them to get the money, go back up to the till with the money, back to them and then back up to serve the money. That's the way with hassle.

Instead I give them drinks, they give me money and don't be tight about it, I go to till get their change and give it to them and serve next customer. See how much easier that is?
    Annoys me too. It's fine when the person thinks he may have enough change to pay for whatever he has ordered but when he has a fifty in his hand ready to give to you it's headwreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

But you have to do that to give them change no matter what note they give you. Do you expect them all to pay you in exact denominations and and leave you with the change each time?

• Advertisement

But you have to do that to give them change no matter what note they give you. Do you expect them all to pay you in exact denominations and and leave you with the change each time?

No your missing the point. It's easier if I drop down the drinks and they give me the 50 straight away I get change and drop it down. The problem is when you give the drinks and ask how much is that and you have to go to till, get subtotal, go down, get 50 off customer, go back towards till, get change, go back down, drop down change and back up to next customer.

They know they have enough money but some are deliberatly obtuse, others are tight and believe that you would screw them by a couple of euro evry time.

It would madness for me to expect someone ordering 5 drinks to have exactly 19.60 or 21.35 or whatever it is.

Advertisement