Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Your Round In At The Bar

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

No your missing the point. It's easier if I drop down the drinks...

Sorry, I was! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

No your missing the point. It's easier if I drop down the drinks and they give me the 50 straight away I get change and drop it down. The problem is when you give the drinks and ask how much is that and you have to go to till, get subtotal, go down, get 50 off customer, go back towards till, get change, go back down, drop down change and back up to next customer.

They know they have enough money but some are deliberatly obtuse, others are tight and believe that you would screw them by a couple of euro evry time.

It would madness for me to expect someone ordering 5 drinks to have exactly 19.60 or 21.35 or whatever it is.

Its even worse if its a round which you can easily add up in your head but they insist on seeing a receipt before they pay with their 50.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

I work in a bar and one thing that pisses me off something mkajor is when it's really busy and I'm serving someone at the far side of the bar maybe 10 to 15 feet from the till, give them the drinks and ask how much is that, only to give me a 50. I mean fair enough if you have 3 pints and aren't sure whether 15 or 20 will cover it that's cool. But when people do that and give me the 50 it just creates so much extra hassle. does my head in.

Now paying customers aren't allowed to ask how much their round of drinks costs...marvellous.

Perhaps they think they might have the exact change, but then don't?

Again it's a case of "do your f..king job and lose the attitude".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never seen that couples rounds thing, as if they would get away with that. I feel i have to downgrade my drink to something cheaper in rounds, to be fairer to people, don't like them that much

Never seen that couples rounds thing, as if they would get away with that. I feel i have to downgrade my drink to something cheaper in rounds, to be fairer to people, don't like them that much

You shouldn't feel like you have too. Rounds should be about friends enjoying a drink together and sharing the hassle of going up to the bar rather than oneupmanship. If your drink of choice is a glass of Moet, your friends should be happy to buy it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Perhaps they think they might have the exact change, but then don't?.

For future reference please look at my previous posts on this topic(1 page back) before storming in all guns blazing on a one man jihad against bar staff.

I said if you order 3 pints and you're not sure whether 15 euro will cover it or whether you'll need more then that's cool and perfectly understandable. My problem is when you have the 50 euro in your hand and you know that you will pay with the 50 yet still ask how much is that and create unneccessary hassle for me, and then proceed to pay me with the 50 leading to a delay in me serving other customers. Clear it up slightly?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh they would not mind at all, I mind making them pay. I'm sure I can get over it. :p

middleton rare please

For future reference please look at my previous posts on this topic(1 page back) before storming in all guns blazing on a one man jihad against bar staff.

I said if you order 3 pints and you're not sure whether 15 euro will cover it or whether you'll need more then that's cool and perfectly understandable. My problem is when you have the 50 euro in your hand and you know that you will pay with the 50 yet still ask how much is that and create unneccessary hassle for me, and then proceed to pay me with the 50 leading to a delay in me serving other customers. Clear it up slightly?

You're second guessing your customer's motivation. The customer may know that they have €14.50 in their pocket, suspect that the round's going to cost more than that but merely want clarification. They may want to give you the €1.60 if the round's (say) €21.60. The point is that it's not your place to moan about the (perceived) hassle caused to you by this simple request. You're there to facilitate your paying customers, NOT the other way around. It's not "unnecessary hassle", it's doing your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Once knew a lad who always joined a group of 2 or 3 and always bought his round on time every time,seemed innocent enough untill someone pointed out that he always bought last in any round.

if there was 3 of us he bought the 3rd drink,he could not lose

if we had 3 drinks he bought 3 drank 3

if we had 4 drinks he bought 3 drank 4

if we had 5 drinks he bought 3 drank 5

if we had 6 drinks he bought 6 drank 6

if we had 7 drinks he bought 6 drank 7
    and so on.I would never have copped on and was in his round lots of times over a couple of years till someone else pointed it out.

He died of a brain hemorrhage a couple of years later,good enough for the tight basturd.Karma is a bitch.

So you're happy that he died?

You're quite a cold hearted bastard.
    Karma is a bitch though, you would do well to remember that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

You're second guessing your customer's motivation. The customer may know that they have €14.50 in their pocket, suspect that the round's going to cost more than that but merely want clarification. They may want to give you the €1.60 if the round's (say) €21.60. The point is that it's not your place to moan about the (perceived) hassle caused to you by this simple request. You're there to facilitate your paying customers, NOT the other way around. It's not "unnecessary hassle", it's doing your job.

I see your point but this situation happens about 5% of the times someone asks "How much is that?" The other 95% there just being pedantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I see your point but this situation happens about 5% of the times someone asks "How much is that?" The other 95% there just being pedantic.

Agree with you here - most people do it as a point of stupid habit.

I'd challenge anyone who's ever asked this of a Barman if they can remember how much they were told it was 2 minutes later, or if they even bothered to check their change or the receipt they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Blackjack wrote: »
    Agree with you here - most people do it as a point of stupid habit.

I'd challenge anyone who's ever asked this of a Barman if they can remember how much they were told it was 2 minutes later, or if they even bothered to check their change or the receipt they got.

i hae never giving anyone a receipt or noone has asked me for one when working in a bar? do ye?

Depends what kind of place you are in. I get receipts lots. Usually means you are paying more :|

garv123 wrote: »
    i hae never giving anyone a receipt or noone has asked me for one when working in a bar? do ye?

Haven't worked in a Bar for years, but a lot of places insist on giving receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Blackjack wrote: »
    Haven't worked in a Bar for years, but a lot of places insist on giving receipts.

ive never come across this before. we're lucky too have a roll of paper in the machine.
    are these in more of an expensive bar with a resturant kind of place?

garv123 wrote: »
    ive never come across this before. we're lucky too have a roll of paper in the machine.
    are these in more of an expensive bar with a resturant kind of place?

Hotels usually give them, a lot of Bars in Dublin do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I think you'll find that everyone here has stated that isn't a problem. The problem is when they have a fifty and is going to pay with the fifty only no matter what.

Advertisement