Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Example of yet another bad owner !!

Options
  • 07-08-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as your all well aware there are bad pet owners everywhere but i said i'd share this terrible story with you all as i'm horrified and sick since finding out.
    A new nextdoor neighbour moved in last week and i had my first encounter with him this morning, he was walking his American pitbull terrier past my house as i was walking my staffie (max) back into my house. I stopped to admire his dog and got chatting to him, as i proceeded to rub his dog i noticed she had scars under her chin and around her ears so i asked him how she got them to which he replied " Oh i don't have her that long and she was like that when i got her " we then carried on chatting about that particular breed and he proceeded to tell me that he "only got rid of a 2yr old staffie last week" I asked him why and he siad "he was too hyper" when i asked where he went to he replied " there are travellers camped out the raod and they asked me if the dog was any good to fight so i said yes and gave him to them " On hearing this i felt sick to my stomach and ended my conversation promptly... I got into my car to drive down the to where the travellers had been camping and no sign of anyone, gone and with the dog i presume :(. I have rang the animal welfare unit in Waterford city and was told they will have an inspector out first thing Monday morning to inspect his current dog and question him re the other poor soul. It sickens me that people like this are given animals/pets and treat them in such a manner. Hate having to share this story but i feel it needs to be told !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Afraid its a daily occurance and not an uncommon story at all!! Gandhi said "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" and the state of the dogs that are on death row in the punds today does not reflect great on this nation at all!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

oh no what a sad story, fair play to you for trying to do something, that poor dog :(

Just a thought, but watch your dog around his, if he can give a dog away for fighting it is unlikely he is treating his current dog well, which doesn't bode well at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's really sad :(

I'd also say be careful with your dog in case it gets stolen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I've heard this story a million times it's so sad that people can be so cruel to animals :(. And it doesn't even have to be big things but little things like leaving the dogs out in a small back constantly or tying them up out the front with no water, my heart bleeds for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

what a shameful prick you have for a neighbour - as posted before be careful of his dog peddling in case he decides before moving on to sell yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Horrifies but no longer surprises.

A lady on Saturday came to our market stall with a lovely spaniel. She has had it less than a week; someone offered it as they wanted rid of it as the children had lost interest and were leaving it outdoors all the time; the dog is two years now.

And guess what! They have bought a labrador puppy for the children...

Like the family we had the collie from who then bought a wee spaniel that then was left chained up outside all the time and ruined.

off the point; but connected.. We see so many dogs and so many rescues with people in from the UK; many of them are Irish dogs sent over there. One lady we talked with over the weekend told us that a local vet here phones her sometimes saying she has had a dog brought in with a request it be out to sleep; nothing wrong with it.. And this lady who runs a small rescue in the UK takes them and rehomes them there .. I remember that someone on one thread here criticised the sending of dogs to the uK, but it seems needful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Terrible.

I noticed a kitten belong to a neighbour out and about the other day...we've a quiet estate, as I mentioned before, and I think this kitten is about 5-6 months old.

2 teenagers walked past, stopped to pet it...and picked it up and walked off with it! they were only going to the green at the end of the road to sit down and chat, but.....that's somebody else's (quite small) cat!!And it obviously has an owner, it has a collar on. They then proceeded back down the road, with the kitten under their arm. I've no idea where they were going, and to be fair I don't think they were going to hurt it, but what is it with people and animals??They can be so cruel sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

dan_d wrote: »
    Terrible.

I noticed a kitten belong to a neighbour out and about the other day...we've a quiet estate, as I mentioned before, and I think this kitten is about 5-6 months old.

2 teenagers walked past, stopped to pet it...and picked it up and walked off with it! they were only going to the green at the end of the road to sit down and chat, but.....that's somebody else's (quite small) cat!!And it obviously has an owner, it has a collar on. They then proceeded back down the road, with the kitten under their arm. I've no idea where they were going, and to be fair I don't think they were going to hurt it, but what is it with people and animals??They can be so cruel sometimes.

Just wondering if you saw all this happening - how come you didn't ask the teenagers to put the kitten back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

MsFifers wrote: »
    Just wondering if you saw all this happening - how come you didn't ask the teenagers to put the kitten back?

Thats what I was wondering :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

honestly who would admitt that they gave adog away to fight ?

sounds like bs from the neighber to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

antocann wrote: »
    honestly who would admitt that they gave adog away to fight ?

sounds like bs from the neighber to be honest

This guy was proud of the fact that he gave this dog away to fight thinking that i may agree with him because i had a similar dog.... Why would he make the story up? also the fact that his existing poor dog had scars around her ears and under her chin was a bit of a clue as to what kind of owner he really is !!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

That's sickening alright. Have the guys from the animal welfare unit called around to him?

As this guy seems like an idiot who cant be trusted with dogs, do you reckon his new APBT is being abused? If so, call your local SPCA straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

most people do tend to make storys up , but i get where your coming from , when i baught our staffie , all the fella kept talking about was the dog fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Unfortunately there are lots of bad owners and quite a few stupid ones.
    Driving yesterday I saw a car (going at least 40mph)with a small dog hanging out of the drivers side window, with its front feet on the wing mirror:eek:
    If that car had to brake suddenly the dog was a gonna.:mad:
    I carry my dogs in the car either in the boot(hatchback, with parcel shelf removed) or on the backseat with their harness in seatbelt. I wouldn't dream of even letting them put their heads out of the window, and have lattice type guards for the windows when open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

mymo wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are lots of bad owners and quite a few stupid ones.
    Driving yesterday I saw a car (going at least 40mph)with a small dog hanging out of the drivers side window, with its front feet on the wing mirror:eek:
    If that car had to brake suddenly the dog was a gonna.:mad:
    I carry my dogs in the car either in the boot(hatchback, with parcel shelf removed) or on the backseat with their harness in seatbelt. I wouldn't dream of even letting them put their heads out of the window, and have lattice type guards for the windows when open.

:eek: That's utter stupidity. Not only if he braked the dog was a gonner, but that would have to be very distracting for the driver and would block his view of traffic coming from his right and his wing mirror. I would have rang the guards about him and reported him as it's stupid people like that that would cause an accident. Surely that would count as driving without due care?
    I would never allow any dog to hang out the window, sure it may look funny and the dog may enjoy it but it's so dangerous. Is there any law that a dog has to be securely fastened while in a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Zapperzy wrote: »
    :eek: That's utter stupidity. Not only if he braked the dog was a gonner, but that would have to be very distracting for the driver and would block his view of traffic coming from his right and his wing mirror. I would have rang the guards about him and reported him as it's stupid people like that that would cause an accident. Surely that would count as driving without due care?
    I would never allow any dog to hang out the window, sure it may look funny and the dog may enjoy it but it's so dangerous. Is there any law that a dog has to be securely fastened while in a car?

I was sorely tempted to turn around and go after him, but I had a car full of kids and dogs and was in a hurry to get home. I only hope the guards I'd seen parked about 200yrds down the road caught him.
    I still can't believe what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Hi all, as your all well aware there are bad pet owners everywhere but i said i'd share this terrible story with you all as i'm horrified and sick since finding out.
    A new nextdoor neighbour moved in last week and i had my first encounter with him this morning, he was walking his American pitbull terrier past my house as i was walking my staffie (max) back into my house. I stopped to admire his dog and got chatting to him, as i proceeded to rub his dog i noticed she had scars under her chin and around her ears so i asked him how she got them to which he replied " Oh i don't have her that long and she was like that when i got her " we then carried on chatting about that particular breed and he proceeded to tell me that he "only got rid of a 2yr old staffie last week" I asked him why and he siad "he was too hyper" when i asked where he went to he replied " there are travellers camped out the raod and they asked me if the dog was any good to fight so i said yes and gave him to them " On hearing this i felt sick to my stomach and ended my conversation promptly... I got into my car to drive down the to where the travellers had been camping and no sign of anyone, gone and with the dog i presume :(. I have rang the animal welfare unit in Waterford city and was told they will have an inspector out first thing Monday morning to inspect his current dog and question him re the other poor soul. It sickens me that people like this are given animals/pets and treat them in such a manner. Hate having to share this story but i feel it needs to be told !!

Oh the poor thing. What a disgrace. I wish I had more means to help more dogs and animals in general. I can only afford to have two dogs. It sickens me that people are so irresponsible with animals. :mad:

Advertisement