Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charity Shield Match Thread - Chelsea v Man United

• 07-08-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭

chelsea_logo-300x299.jpg v mufcstk_1616_general.jpg

Kick-Off: 3pm
    Venue: Wembley Stadium, London
    Telly: SkySports1

Semi-competitive games back again!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

3-0 nil united gibson hattrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

1156296_vector_warning_sign.jpg

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

After watching both united and chelseas friendlies the last few weeks i'd say united 2-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

2-0 to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's the Community Shield.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTG_kqAM5NMBNn34fDp39pAZwBYXGHCZAgda0m0ylWwEhEAFc&t=1&usg=__FZEc21y_Y3Roq9N6LSXJ9Jc5kC8=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

JPA wrote: »
    It's the Community Shield.

Will always be the Charity Shield to me. Same as it is the European Cup, Lansdowne Road and Stretford End.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Well, after hearing quotes on Wednesday like : "United need an early goal to settle them down in this one" and "I really hate scousers", Id imagine most Irish United fans will be creaming at the chance to put one over on the plastics. Not complaining, just stating fact that it will have a competitive edge.

Chelsea and United have not really upgraded their respective teams since the summer, and the guts of both teams will be the same as what finshed up last May.

United are decent, Chelsea are decent. I would count both as the teams to beat this term.

Draw. Either Way on Penos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Het-Field wrote: »
    Id imagine most Irish United fans will be creaming at the chance to put one over on the plastics.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Chelsea lost their last 4 friendlies? :eek:

1-1 full time, United on penalties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

IMO I've Completely lost interest on the charity shield, seems more of a burden than anything else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think I speak for almost everyone when I said fingers crossed it descends into a mass brawl and both Utd and Chelsea entire squads get banned for the season.

How interesting would it make the title race?

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I think I speak for almost everyone when I said fingers crossed it descends into a mass brawl and both Utd and Chelsea entire squads get banned for the season.

How interesting would it make the title race?

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Liverpool would probably still finish outside the top 4.:pac:

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    IMO I've Completely lost interest on the charity shield, seems more of a burden than anything else..

Good run out to sharpen the players, better than most friendlies as they will not want to make a bad impression against each other.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Liverpool would probably still finish outside the top 4.:pac:

Hush you....hush

We were very good against the Rabbits from Macedonia on Thursday ....made em look like a pub team we did :D

.......actually they might possibly have been a literal pub team literally :(

Good run out to sharpen the players, better than most friendlies as they will not want to make a bad impression against each other.

Yup that's how I'd rate it as well ....with both managers going "don't kick them lot and don't pick up injuries"

A semi-competitve pre-season friendly.

Anyone reckon it's a conspiracy to give the two top teams from last season
    a good launching pad for this season and hence bolster the premier league brand??????

If you do you're a mong:D. Knight all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

MM is locked.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ugh - even when we don't win anything we end up having to take part in this poxy game.

I'm struggling to care about this game yet I don't want us to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pro. F wrote: »
    Ugh - even when we don't win anything we end up having to take part in this poxy game.

I'm struggling to care about this game yet I don't want us to lose.

So why bother with pre season games then?

Its a good chance for supporters to get to go to Wembley, would love to be taking part in it, better than having an international friendly midweek :(

OPENROAD wrote: »
    So why bother with pre season games then?

Its a good chance for supporters to get to go to Wembley, would love to be taking part in it, better than having an international friendly midweek :(

I don't care about pre-season friendlies tbh. When we lose a pre-season game I don't feel annoyed or depressed - it's just a glorified training session. The only difference with the charity shield is that it's got some pride riding on it.

Also, I don't know why anyone would be excited about spending lots of money to go to a semi competitive game either.

Hopefully it will be an exciting game and will whet our appetite for the real games coming up.

• Advertisement

I don't care about pre-season friendlies tbh. When we lose a pre-season game I don't feel annoyed or depressed - it's just a glorified training session. The only difference with the charity shield is that it's got some pride riding on it.

Also, I don't know why anyone would be excited about spending lots of money to go to a semi competitive game either.

Hopefully it will be an exciting game and will whet our appetite for the real games coming up.

Semi Finals and Finals can be hard games for non st holders to get tickets for, so suppose for those fans its a good opportunity to go to Wembley.

I would be more annoyed with the midweek Int fixtures.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Semi Finals and Finals can be hard games for non st holders to get tickets for, so suppose for those fans its a good opportunity to go to Wembley.

I would be more annoyed with the midweek Int fixtures.

I know what you mean about it being difficult to get to Wembley but without the actual competitive element the game wouldn't be worth the price for me. Even if I didn't have far to travel.

I'm not really annoyed about the games' existence, I just find it hard to get excited by them.

I know what you mean about it being difficult to get to Wembley but without the actual competitive element the game wouldn't be worth the price for me. Even if I didn't have far to travel.

I'm not really annoyed about the games' existence, I just find it hard to get excited by them.

True and in fairness the Emirates Cup is the real trophy you want to win pre season :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Ill wake about 3 on the dot and hopefully Rooney goal, Owen Goal and Chicharito goal :-D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think I'm back on the streams this season! Poxy pay cut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So long as there's Sopcast streams you should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

2-1 United,:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You can come around mine :D you always seem sound enough ;)

ahem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

ahem

Get a room bai's.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

flahavaj wrote: »
    Get a room bai's.:pac:

Shut your face fla!

ahem
    Jesus that's great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

2-1 Chelsea. ;)

Anelka and Malouda to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I love the Charity Shield.... you can smell the league about to begin when it's on.

Tight enough game I'd imagine, with a goal to seperate the two. I'll go for United to sneak it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Chelsea team: Hilario, Ivanovic, Terry, Ferreira, Cole, Essien, Lampard, Mikel, Kalou, Anelka & Malouda.

Also rumours Carrick could start even after his ankle injury Wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

United Team: van der Sar; O'Shea, Vidic, Evans, Fábio; Valencia, Carrick, Scholes, Park; Rooney, Owen.

Fergie back tracking on his "Owen and Rooney are similar players thing?".

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    United Team: van der Sar; O'Shea, Vidic, Evans, Fábio; Valencia, Carrick, Scholes, Park; Rooney, Owen.

Fergie back tracking on his "Owen and Rooney are similar players thing?".

Owen seemed to spend a lot of the game midweek hanging around the left wing, might be a new ploy. Also I'd say a half time swap with Berbatov and Hernandez.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Owen starts at wembley? Strange.

I think we'll see a lot more of Owen this season compared to last. Fergie said himself he didn't use him as much as he probably should have last season due to Rooney's form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Surprised with carrick starting, so much for him being out for 2 weeks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

could someone please post a link when they get it, having no luck finding a channel over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Owen seemed to spend a lot of the game midweek hanging around the left wing, might be a new ploy. Also I'd say a half time swap with Berbatov and Hernandez.

Re: Berb and Hernandez, I was thinking along the same line.

I didn't see the mid week game, Owen hanging around the left? That's strange!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Would like to see a cameo from Kakuta today, would be nice for the UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship Golden Player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

United reserves beaten 4-1 by chelski reserves this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Hope the Premiership standard of play is better this season.Been poor value for money for quite some time

United to win this with Owen scoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Gutted with the Carrick - Scholes combo in midfield. I reckon we'll be overrun by a mile :( I miss the Fletchmeister :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anybody else think Fergie looks a little jaded/shook ? In the last few seasons he has looked relaxed and well rested ..
    Looking forward to this friendly . .

I was just thinking its Funny because apart from Man City its pretty much same squads for top teams.

My fear with the united defence is the speed (or lack of) with Evans and Vidic.

In midfield I hope Carrick and Scholes will not be the starting CM partnership. Fletcher didnt play in world cup so not sure why he is on bench . .

Up front I think United will have more then enough for the season .. Nobody has a stronger forward squad then Rooney, Berbs, Owen, Hernandez and Macheda.

The scoreline doesnt matter as much as the performance and hopefully we get to see the new players at some stage . . I know Hernandez has been hyped to a degree but he looks a really good potential forward. His speed, first touch and finishing look top notch and if he can settle in quickly I could see him being a big player come end of season . .

Prediction -2-1 to chelsea . . Press to write united off and Fergie to prove them all wrong for the millionth time come end of season . .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The Avivas "best ever" medical room can work wonders.... Anyone got a sopcast link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    The Avivas "best ever" medical room can work wonders.... Anyone got a sopcast link?

[URL="sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/81774"]Here[/URL], working fine for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Always love to see Vidic as captain - gwan the Vida.

• Advertisement
Advertisement