Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dropped foreign body into my engine

• 07-08-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi folks, maybe some help with this issue please,

This evening while topping up my car engine oil with an additive the lid of the additive fell into the oil filler hole.
    I tried to get it out but only succeded it getting it to fall more into the engine.
    It has now gone out of sight but I know in what general direction it went.
    I will have another go in the mornig to get it out, but it is looking like a job for a mechanic. I presume a local/ back mechanic will be able for this?

Anybody have an idea of how long this will take/ costs?.
    I will have to get the car towed to mechanic or collected by him,
    I won't start the engine.
    Car is mazda 6 diesel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I take it the lid was plastic? What dimensions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Can you not remove the rocker cover and get it out yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd try some fishing line and a treble hook, you might be able to snag it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

if ur good with a rather and carefull enought to take of spark plug leads get the rocker cover off and have a better look around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Should be a fairly simple fix for any mechanic but DON'T drive it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

The dimensions of the lid about 10-15 mil long and about 6-8 mil at its widest, getting narrower at the top.
    Lid was plastic.
    Have never removed rocker cover before, but could contemplate it, I presume that is the next layer down after the filler cap, in that it removes the top of the engine.

Thanks for suggestions
    patspost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

If you get a stick / piece of a coat hanger and some blue tack you might be able to stick it to the blue tack and get it out. :D

Where do you have the car. Someone here might be able to give you a hand to remove the rocker cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Nah, it'll be oily and slippery as hell.

Whip off the rocker cover and be done with it, handy enough.

I'm down the country, I tried the coat hanger thing, didn't help.

I will look up rocker cover removal, is it fairly straight forward?, stupid question I suppose to ask mechanically minded people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd try some fishing line and a treble hook, you might be able to snag it.
    I wouldn't, you might snag something else and lose the hook as well. Even worse if the hook got stuck and a bit broke off from tugging on it you'll have a small piece of metal lying in there somewhere where it shouldn't be. At least a plastic cap is easy to spot and may not fall too far into the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

dingding wrote: »
    If you get a stick / piece of a coat hanger and some blue tack you might be able to stick it to the blue tack and get it out. :D

MacGyver-iPhone-4-Antenna-Issue.png

:D:D

*Sorry*

Mate why mess around with something you haven't got a clue about?? Your not even sure what a rocker cover is yet your guna try take it off. I know its not exactly rocket science but stop being miserable and pay a mechanic to do it.

Tks for advice smokie, you are right, I think it is a step or 2 beyond me.

roughly how long would it take?, what type of price would I expect to pay?
    Hopefully the mechanic will do it outside my house, save towing it down to him.
    I'll give him a ring later today, hopefully get him doen in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Cop on, this was a simple accident and could have happened to a mechanic. You don;t need to know what a rocker cover is to add oil or an additive to your engine!!
    You will get some of the more helpful contributors to get this sorted otherwise probably a mechanic :D:D

shawnee wrote: »
    Cop on, this was a simple accident and could have happened to a mechanic. You don;t need to know what a rocker cover is to add oil or an additive to your engine!!
    You will get some of the more helpful contributors to get this sorted otherwise probably a mechanic :D:D
    Of course its a simple mistake ANYBODY can and does top up oil, their expected too. I was talking about the removal of the rocker cover, not everyone can remove it hence why this thread was created. He could easily do a hell of lot more damage by removing the rocker cover and dropping a tool bit/nut in there while its removed. People that don't work on engines aren't normally quite as careful as a fully qualified mechanic.
    Anyways OP where abouts do you live?? I work out on the road and would be more than happy to pull it out for you for if your near my route tomorrow?

All else fails get a pair of these :D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMack2jK48

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

smokie2008 wrote: »
    I know its not exactly rocket science

It's rocker sceince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Theoretically you could try filling the engine with oil (or similiar liquid) and the plastic will float to the top - then drain the excess fluid.
    Practically it is a bad idea. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

if ur not sure what rocker cover is research youtube and google...plenty of DIY videos there educating the science of the rocker cover :D:D

its just a cover that cover the rockers or the valves that sit on top of the engine...

if you have a plastic engine cover remove that carefully and just have a look around...theres nothing but a few small bolts around to remove...

Though since you struggle to even know what rocker cover is dont go at it :) you will need to take off the spark plugs and if you mess them putting them back in the wrong hole youl get misfire and will need a mechanic anyway...

Mechanics usually charge per hour no matter what it is ( cause otherwise it wouldnt be worth their time starting a job for 5 mins and getting paid a quid or something for it) so hours charge + call out charge (if its far away from the mechanic) otherwise its a very simple job and should take max 10 mins to open find and close...

and as others said dont move the car or even start it...might get caught in the valves and jam the valves...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

if ur good with a rather and carefull enought to take of spark plug leads get the rocker cover off and have a better look around...

Quite rare on a diesel :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement