Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car crash beside Born

Options
  • 07-08-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what happened today in Newtownsmith, beside Born? My friend and I were eating in Buon Appetito at about 16:45 and saw a load of fire engines fly down towards where Born is. When we were walking back towards college all we saw was a 2010 silver Toyota Avensis with the roof cut off and a guy in the front passenger seat in a neck-brace. Then another person (presumably the driver) was stretchered into an ambulance.

The strange thing was that the front of the car hadn't a scratch on it. I did happen to hear an onlooking man say something like, "...that's what happens when you get hit from behind at 50mph", but I can't be certain of the context.

We didn't want to walk down the street since there were enough onlookers as it was, so we went around. I never got to see the back of the car to see if it was indeed hit from behind. There definitely didn't seem to be any other car behind or in front of the Avensis though, which adds to the strange.

Surely if they cut the roof off, it must have been serious. Did anyone happen to witness the crash or have any details?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

Yeah, I saw it. i only saw the front of the car, it must've been hit from behind because there wasn't a scratch on the front (except for the fact that the roof was cut off).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I walked past it as they were taking someone out of the car on a stretcher and I've no idea what happened. The car looked fine, except for the roof and doors missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

fire men whilst providing the excellent service they do are known to be very trigger happy when it comes to using the jaws of life!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

if any spinal injury is suspected its standard operating procedure to take the roof off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

kieran26 wrote: »
    fire men whilst providing the excellent service they do are known to be very trigger happy when it comes to using the jaws of life!.

I would much prefer have the roof cut off my car than possibly exacerbating a possible neck or back injury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Sorry to be the strict one, but this is a Car-crash you are passing puns on and joking about. Only reason I'm bringin' this up now is I can imagine this Thread continuing indefinitely if allowed, with such similair one-liners when this may be quite serious and not really something to be laughed at/about ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I don't think that was a pun or a joke:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Sorry to be the strict one, but this is a Car-crash you are passing puns on and joking about. Only reason I'm bringin' this up now is I can imagine this Thread continuing indefinitely if allowed, with such similair one-liners when this may be quite serious and not really something to be laughed at/about ???

I dont think he was being funny! the "jaws of life" are those hydraulic cutting tools they use to cut through cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

:confused:

And why would he be commentin' that Fire-men would be happy havin' to use this equipment. Sure the only reason they would have to use this equipment would be if something was potentially seriously wrong?? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Well I don't know I could have got it wrong the way he was saying it, maybe I did.

Apologies if so. I guess just a bit cautious as would hate for any-one close to me to be in a bad car-crash or accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Does anyone know what happened today in Newtownsmith, beside Born? My friend and I were eating in Buon Appetito at about 16:45 and saw a load of fire engines fly down towards where Born is. When we were walking back towards college all we saw was a 2010 silver Toyota Avensis with the roof cut off and a guy in the front passenger seat in a neck-brace. Then another person (presumably the driver) was stretchered into an ambulance.

The strange thing was that the front of the car hadn't a scratch on it. I did happen to hear an onlooking man say something like, "...that's what happens when you get hit from behind at 50mph", but I can't be certain of the context.

We didn't want to walk down the street since there were enough onlookers as it was, so we went around. I never got to see the back of the car to see if it was indeed hit from behind. There definitely didn't seem to be any other car behind or in front of the Avensis though, which adds to the strange.

Surely if they cut the roof off, it must have been serious. Did anyone happen to witness the crash or have any details?

i believe a black car was also involved which had been removed from the scene when i got there. the silver car was hit from the side and there was a dent to show this. the driver possily had a spinal.

• Advertisement

:confused:

And why would he be commentin' that Fire-men would be happy havin' to use this equipment. Sure the only reason they would have to use this equipment would be if something was potentially seriously wrong?? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Well I don't know I could have got it wrong the way he was saying it, maybe I did.

Apologies if so. I guess just a bit cautious as would hate for any-one close to me to be in a bad car-crash or accident.

i do not believe anyone is mocking here.

they did not take the roof off for he craic, but as already pointed out because of the risk of a spinal, but also because the door (lateral impact)could not be opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

how much is it worth to the fire brigade these days to take a roof off a car. Their prices are extortionate.

A friend of my husbands had a crash a couple months ago in town- nothing serious - just hit a kerb and the car turned over. By the time the fire brigade came he was just opening the back door to climb out - not a scratch on him - the firebrigade insisted on taking the roof off the car to get him out that way even tho there was no problem with him going out the back door - he was livid.

how much is it worth to the fire brigade these days to take a roof off a car. Their prices are extortionate.

A friend of my husbands had a crash a couple months ago in town- nothing serious - just hit a kerb and the car turned over. By the time the fire brigade came he was just opening the back door to climb out - not a scratch on him - the firebrigade insisted on taking the roof off the car to get him out that way even tho there was no problem with him going out the back door - he was livid.

we live in a health and safety conscious society. firemen are going to follow procedure or questions will be asked.
    not a scratch on him means possible internal injuries and spinal. they are not going to take any unnecessary risks.
    its the same when someone has a leg injury and they don't want their expensive trousers cut away.

firemen, guards, nurses, teachers -jobs apparently any fool can do, which is why we always know better how to deal with these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

You can always get a new car to drive but can't get a new spine to walk !

maybe you should call them to hose you down - you seem all fired up. make sure you have your chequebook handy. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

maybe you should call them to hose you down - you seem all fired up. make sure you have your chequebook handy. :D:D
    I'm pretty sure insurance would cover a car fire or a roof-removal, and probably spontaneous combustion if you're worried about the cost! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just make sure that the person who calls the fire service is the one who's got the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

you need to re-read my post - I was talking about a completely different incident.

good advice re. make sure the person calling is the person with the insurance - otherwise get your cheque book ready.

oh and another thing - if you ask them for a letter stating they were at the scene they will send you to the fire brigade office - when you go there make sure you have an extra 75 euro in your pocket (on top of the other charges) for your letter.

Whats the alternative though? We should have a private service ala

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

you need to re-read my post - I was talking about a completely different incident.

good advice re. make sure the person calling is the person with the insurance - otherwise get your cheque book ready.

OK, next time I crash my car and have my guts hanging out of me and someone tries to call the fire brigade I'm gonna tell them to hang up and call I'll make the call myself.

ya, maybe you should put them on speed dial to make it easier, y'know with your guts hanging out an all. Otherwise the poor fool who makes the call will be charged and I'm sure you wouldn't want that now would you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Out of curiosity, why is the caller the one who has to pay for the emergency services? And what happens if the caller refuses to give his/her name?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Whats the alternative though?

A nationally managed service (consistent standards, policies and training nationwide), that's funded by a combination of taxes and insurance industry levies, and where individual citizens aren't scared to ring 112 (etc) for fear of being charged for something that's nothing to do with them?

Sheesh, if it can be done in a long, skinny country with the same population spread over seven times the landmass, surely it can be done here?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

You can actually get Fire brigade cover on insurance policies nowadays. They charge €1200 as far as I know.

You can actually get Fire brigade cover on insurance policies nowadays. They charge €1200 as far as I know.

not everyone that calls the firebrigade is covered by insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I didn't say it's standard, I said you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've removed some posts that deal with what a witness saw until one of the legal boardsies can have their say (as this may influence a claim etc).
    You who read the posts will probably understand why.

Anyway, once I get feedback from the legal team the posts will be restored, or not.

Until then I'll lock this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement