Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France trip (Photos)

• 07-08-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I'm heading over to the France and Belgium in September. We went last year in the hope of locating my Great Grand Father's grave, that didn't happen but we enjoyed the trip immensely any way. We will arrive at Cherbourg and head towards the Somme, then Ypres and then to Verdun, so will cover quite a large area. We don't really have an agenda this year, just going to camp, and check out the sites we didn't get to visit last time, and revisit some sites too.

If any of the WW1 fraternity here would like a photo (Digital) of their loved ones grave or memorial I'd be more than willing to oblige. Obviously, the name of the cemetery is essential, individual plots are easy enough to find via the cemetery index, perhaps the service number of the individual, just to ensure the correct Grave is located.

The offer is there to anyone interested. I suppose post any details on this thread (if that's all right with the Mods) and I'll pm when I get back for email details.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are lots of graves available on The War Graves Photographic Project website. They are connected to the CWGC.

They charge a small fee for a hard or digital copy of a photo, though volunteers who have submitted photos are not charged. They will also send a volunteer out to get a photo if it's not already in the database. I got one last year from Gaza, which took a while, but they got it in the end.

I volunteer for them myself, covering many smaller cemeteries around Ireland, but I think they have most of the big French and Belgian ones completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I went to Vimy last week, I would highly recommend a visit there if you haven't been. The Canadian guides there are very knowledgeable.

BTW, there are some great bars in Ypres and one small plain looking place on the edge of the square towards the Menin gate. The beer is lovely, but go easy on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

I went to Vimy last week, I would highly recommend a visit there if you haven't been. The Canadian guides there are very knowledgeable.

BTW, there are some great bars in Ypres and one small plain looking place on the edge of the square towards the Menin gate. The beer is lovely, but go easy on it!

Second that, was on a trip to France/Belgium last November, the Newfoundland Memorial Park is a must see. The guides are very knowledgeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Actually went to the park last year,but just walked around without a guide, which, tbh, was a waste. It's quite difficult to visualize the battlefields without someone pointing out the significance. We may visit that area again,plan on revisiting the Ulster Tower anyway,so will be in the area. (If I remember correctly)

Advertisement