Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lapsed Catholic

• 08-08-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I basically gave up on religion about five years ago after the death of a good(young) friend and my grandmother in quick succession,the whole abuse scandal's didn't exactly help matters either.I've just recently been thinking about how much religion meant to my late granny and friend and I'm thinking about going back and giving catholicism another try tomorrow morning.As I haven't been in a church since my granny's funeral mass in 2005 would it be acceptable for me to just go back and observe things for a few weeks and not take the sacraments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Absolutely it would be 'ok'! It's how I came back too, it's been a tough journey and a long one that still has it's questions and battles, but worth every second, take it slow and don't let 'anybody' no matter who, put you off...do it 'yourself', don't let anybody take your faith away from you... do it in your own time and at your own pace..and always be truthful with yourself...

..and welcome back :) It's worth it, this internal battle is defo worth it..X

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Welcome back to community of believers. I reckon there should be no issues with you attending mass and skipping the communion for a while.
    As a practical matter you might wish to check the mass timetable ,Priests seem to be stretched to provide masses these days. Also I reckon if you need to discuss issues of faith, you could have a conversation with the local Priest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It might be a good time to start exploring what Christianity is all about. I would suggest while you are contemplating going back to mass you pick up a copy of either Simply Christian or Mere Christianity. These books tackle Christianity as a whole and they also tackle some of the philosophical and theological challenges that any believer faces. I'm sure I could part with my copy of the latter if you want it. PM me if it is something you are interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Thank's for the advice,this has been playing on my mind for a long time!

I checked the timetable this evening,how would I go about arranging a one to one with my parish priest,would it be just a matter of calling into the parochial house or talking to him tomorrow after mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Best of luck, starviewadams! By all means, try to have a chat with the priest if you have any questions or concerns, or just discuss with him how the Church prays for the faithful departed. Grab him after the Mass; if he's in a rush he'll propose another time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Thanks everybody for the kind words and advice!

I went to mass at midday today and it felt a little odd being inside a church again,but odd in a good sort of way,am hoping to try and attend some morning masses this week before work and to have a chat with the parish priest aswell.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

It might be a good time to start exploring what Christianity is all about. I would suggest while you are contemplating going back to mass you pick up a copy of either Simply Christian or Mere Christianity. These books tackle Christianity as a whole and they also tackle some of the philosophical and theological challenges that any believer faces. I'm sure I could part with my copy of the latter if you want it. PM me if it is something you are interested in.
    John Waters who writes for the Irish Times was a lapsed Catholic and went back. He wrote lapsed agnostic.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Baggio1

good for you starviewadams :) take your time and observe and dont forget the words of Pope John Paul 11 the Great - " be not afraid!"

re discover the richness of catholic traidtion, the love of the holy trinity, the honour of the blessed virgin Mary, the honour of St.Michael Th Archangel and a whole host of sacramentals, like confessional and communion etc :)

best of luck amigo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hi,

I basically gave up on religion about five years ago after the death of a good(young) friend and my grandmother in quick succession,the whole abuse scandal's didn't exactly help matters either.I've just recently been thinking about how much religion meant to my late granny and friend and I'm thinking about going back and giving catholicism another try tomorrow morning.As I haven't been in a church since my granny's funeral mass in 2005 would it be acceptable for me to just go back and observe things for a few weeks and not take the sacraments?

Hello,

that's great news, best I've heard around here for a long time! :) We hear all too often about people leaving the Church and it's great to see the opposite happening.

I second what Fanny said about educating yourself about Christianity. I, as a Catholic, would recommend that you read both the bible (New Testament) and the Catechism of the CC for the theology. If you need more details or have any questions, drop me a PM.

I think the starting point is to realize that we're all sinners because we sometimes/often turn our backs on God's plan for us. Conversion need to happen to begin the relationship with Christ. And remember that there is great rejoicing in heaven when a sinner turns back to God! :)

God bless,
    Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Did you give up on religion or give up on God? or both?

I'd be in the middle to latter character.

Sorry for being insensitive but, without going into detail, I think the whole God thing is daft. I just do, and thats all there is to it.

BUT

I do enjoy going to mass. There is a church beside our house. Its one of the few places in the area where you can meet people from the community, where there is a sense of community. Its a nice building with lovely light, and the people there are very friendly. Wouldn't go there on my own, but would bring our child there as an outing and to meet people from the area. And believe me, they are nearly giving me a medal for bringing a two year old to the place. (Given the history of this particular church, its understandable that not too many parents want to bring their kids there, and i've noticed that none of my neighbour go, not even the elderly ones). I love the church services in places like Christchurch at Christmas time also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement