Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poisoned dog

• 08-08-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Just looking for a bit of advice about a crazy neighbour who poisoned our dog. Here is the background: He has always been unstable and volatile and has already made several attempts to upset my family but has some sort of a psychotopatic condtition where he can appear normal to certain people at certain times. Some people thus think that he is 'normal.' His mother has had psychiatric treatment and the declaration of normal in respect to this man is comparative: he is 'normal' compared to his mother, but such a comparison is worring in itself.

I'm looking for some advice here and dont want to bore ye all with every detail, but I would like some advice on the events of the last week- the crazy bast**d poisoned our pedigree dog in his shed. The dog was well looked after, supervised every time he was out, but was poisoned at night while he slept...What to do? I am heartbroken without my dog, but I dont want any more heartbreak...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I don't see why anyone would harm a dog without a good reason. (e.g. constant barking)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alabaster

Hi tenchi-fan

So constant barking is enough to warrant the harming of a dog? To what extent should this harming take place? I'm sorry but I must disagree and say that a dog should NEVER be executed simply for barking. I'm sure you understand fron my post that the issues with my darling doberman are not barking related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    I don't see why anyone would harm a dog without a good reason. (e.g. constant barking)

Regardless of whether the dog was barking or not this certainly does not warrant the behaviour which was carried out by the neighbour. Just because he suffers from a mentally ill condition does not mean that his behaviour was acceptable and i suggest you take into account the OP's feelings before you post idiotic comments such as the above.

Hi again

Sorry if I posted someting unclear- in the eyes of the law my neighbour is a perfectely sane person capable of legal understanding and reasoning. I am absolutely sure however that he MURDERED my dog.

Sorry, I was just trying to figure out why your neighbour did such a thing to the dog. Your original post didn't shed any light.

• Advertisement

Sorry tenchi-fan, i never intended not to answer those questions.. our dog was a quiet placid dog that never barked during the night and never caused any problems...we were very responsible owners...on the sunday night our dog fell twice while on runabout...monday evening we felt he was not 'acting' ok but we put it down to tiredness but Tuesday evening we realised he was in real trouble...I dont like posting how exactly our beautiful dog died but if if helps someone else I will... he started staggering and losing consciousness, and spewwing out a tar black spit,...thats all I have to say. Sorry but thats all I have to say

If you have a shred of evidence I suggest you report the matter to the gardai. They cannot do anything without evidence unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, you are upset about the los of your pet - but how can you be sure that your neighbour poisoned him? From reading your post, it would appear that there is animosity between you and so can you be sure that you are not automatically blaming your neighbour regardless?

If he did that to my dog, he wouldn't be safe walking down the street.

How someone can harm an innocent animal is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Firstly I'm very sorry for the loss of your poor dog...

Secondly may I ask if you had the vet perform a post mortem to find out what exactly it was that your dog was poisoned with?

The reason I ask is because there are alot of possible toxins that can poison a dog which unfortunately they can come into contact in daily life without someone maliciously poisoning them: weedkiller, insecticides, lead paint, holly berries to name a few.

In relation to what you can do, I would assume that the gardai would require at the minimum post mortem confirmation of poisoning, the law on this is:

Section 1 (1) (d) of the Protection of Animals Act, 1911, as amended stipulates that "if any person" causes, procures or (if the owner) permits the administration of poisonous or injurious drugs or substances to animals, he shall be guilty of an offence under this section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

alabaster wrote: »

I'm looking for some advice here and dont want to bore ye all with every detail, but I would like some advice on the events of the last week- the crazy bast**d poisoned our pedigree dog in his shed

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dog, but can you please elaborate on this bit : how exactly do you know your neighbour did it?

If you have evidence, please tell us what it is so we can advise you sensibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP, I have neighbours who have a number of dogs who rarely bark when the owners are there and if they do the owners get them to stop BUT when the owners are not there they can go crazy barking, not just if the postman is around or the bin men but randomly for no reason.
    I work shift work so when you come in from nights and from the minute you get in to bed all you hear is barking it can drive you mad. there is nothing worse than sleep deprivation, it can drive you mad. I have thought how I would love to fill a few sausages with poison but I would never do it but I have thought about it.

If your neighbour has a mental disorder maybe he thought about it but went through with it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

How do you know your dog was poisoned ?
    Did you take him to a vet ?
    Did he get post-mortemed by a vet ?

How do you know your dog was poisoned ?
    Did you take him to a vet ?
    Did he get post-mortemed by a vet ?

there's no doubt the dog was poisoned. what isn't clear is whether the neighbour had anything to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Are you even sure the dog was poisoned, far less that this particular neighbour did it? You specifically say he didn't bark at night - does that mean he was noisy during the day? Now, that doesn't justify anyone doing anything but noisy dogs tend to have more than one neighbour suitably annoyed. How do you know that particular neighbour poisoned the dog in his shed? How did he have access to your dog, anyway?

I would be very wary about throwing accusations around about neighbours poisoning your dog, especially if you have nothing to prove the dog was actually poisoned or whether there was deliberate intent behind the poisoning, otherwise you could be the one that ends up with the "crazy neighbour" label and a visit from the local station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Maybe he ate slug pellets in someone's garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Could have been anything OP.
    People leave out tins of paint/chemicals and petrol for the lawnmower when doing jobs around the house.
    Your dog could have swallowed something here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Poison your neighbour, Eye for an eye and all that...

Lousy **** of a neighbour. Sorry about the dog mate :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Wagon wrote: »
    Poison your neighbour, Eye for an eye and all that...

Lousy **** of a neighbour. Sorry about the dog mate :(

Banned for 7 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Your first step is to confirm poisioning.
    Talk to a vet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm very sorry about your dog, but unless you have concrete proof that it was your neighbour, there's nothing you can do.

Advertisement