Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Barrelled Shotguns

Options
  • 08-08-2010 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Not talking about some 20" repelling the home invader pistol gripped tacticool yoke now, but the 25" barrelled side by sides Robert Churchill made popular. Anyone any experience with them? They strike me as a nice light, fast handling gun, would be perfect for woodcock or other game often shot in cover, and a nice rough-shooting gun. Can get the AyA XXV for reasonable money a lot of the time too, as they're not very popular. I was given a copy or Robert Churchill's book, Game Shooting: A Textbook on the Successful Use of the Modern Shotgun and he really promotes the idea. Now, since it was his development, you would expect that, but the man really was enthusiastic about it. So, a good idea? Any real and serious limitations over a 28" gun? Nice to shoot? I'd still love a nice side by side for myself, just need some funds first. Incidentally, if anyone would like a read of that book, give me a shout. It was quite interesting, might have something of value for the more serious shotguners.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Not talking about some 20" repelling the home invader pistol gripped tacticool yoke now, but the 25" barrelled side by sides Robert Churchill made popular. Anyone any experience with them? They strike me as a nice light, fast handling gun, would be perfect for woodcock or other game often shot in cover, and a nice rough-shooting gun. Can get the AyA XXV for reasonable money a lot of the time too, as they're not very popular. I was given a copy or Robert Churchill's book, Game Shooting: A Textbook on the Successful Use of the Modern Shotgun and he really promotes the idea. Now, since it was his development, you would expect that, but the man really was enthusiastic about it. So, a good idea? Any real and serious limitations over a 28" gun? Nice to shoot? I'd still love a nice side by side for myself, just need some funds first. Incidentally, if anyone would like a read of that book, give me a shout. It was quite interesting, might have something of value for the more serious shotguners.

i know of a 26" AYA for sale ,not my thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It certainly is an interesting read and generated much controversary when first published as he was probably the first person to identify and teach the concept of "the swing" as distinct from "lead" in shooting.

My uncle had an Aya 25 many years ago and it worked for him. I'd love one but don't do enough game shooting to justify the cost of one.

Incidentially, from the same uncle, I have a signed first edition copy of the book. It cost 42 shillings back in 1955:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

they swing very fast compared to a longer barreled gun , it would be great for snipe shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

rowa wrote: »
    they swing very fast compared to a longer barreled gun , it would be great for snipe shooting.

I have a 25" AYA, deadly on snipe and woodcock :D Very swingable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

just becarefull what you feed it if you get one they can be a bit 'flippy' if you use too heavy a load , i used to have a 25" barrelled s/s it was great for fast instinctive shooting ,flighted duck , snap shooting type stuff , but anything over 1oz-1oz.1/16th and it gave a lot of muzzle flip i found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

landkeeper wrote: »
    just becarefull what you feed it if you get one they can be a bit 'flippy' if you use too heavy a load , i used to have a 25" barrelled s/s it was great for fast instinctive shooting ,flighted duck , snap shooting type stuff , but anything over 1oz-1oz.1/16th and it gave a lot of muzzle flip i found

What he said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

So it wouldn't be too nice with 36 gram loads for duck then. Hmm. How would you rate it as an all-rounder, those of you who've had one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

a 25 is expensive for a knock around gun is not a cheap gun it's a nice piece of kit not really an all round gun in my book but if you can get one worth the money go for it it'll never depreciate
    is a sidelock or boxlock your looking at

Advertisement