Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting 2nd Year....

Options
  • 08-08-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I’m registering for my 2nd year in Social Science later this month – undertaking a Joint Major in Social Policy and Sociology. I’ve picked the Social Work pathway and have been trying to figure out which modules I will be taking using the curriculum browser on the UCD website. I can’t quite figure this part out and have a few questions someone might be able to help me with:

As I am doing a joint major, I must undertake the core modules in Social Policy and Sociology but what will my optional modules be then? Will they be from the Social Work pathway?

If I see a module mentioned in the core modules section with a 3 in the course code, does this mean I don’t take it until next year?

Am I right in thinking I register for subjects for the next two years? As in the subjects that will carry me through to the end of my degree?

In second year, do you still get to choose an elective?

Any advice would be great; I want to have it clear in my head so I can register on time and get the modules I want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

rachc wrote: »
    I’m registering for my 2nd year in Social Science later this month – undertaking a Joint Major in Social Policy and Sociology. I’ve picked the Social Work pathway and have been trying to figure out which modules I will be taking using the curriculum browser on the UCD website. I can’t quite figure this part out and have a few questions someone might be able to help me with:

Your questions confound me but I'll see how I can answer them!;)
    As I am doing a joint major, I must undertake the core modules in Social Policy and Sociology but what will my optional modules be then? Will they be from the Social Work pathway?

Anything from the list, option modules only mean that, they're optional and make up the remaining 30 credits or whatever (depending on how many are core) with 10 credits of electives. The optional modules are just other modules run by your school.
    If I see a module mentioned in the core modules section with a 3 in the course code, does this mean I don’t take it until next year?

No, this means that it's a third year module (stage three in newspeak), whereby you're in with third year students. I did a modules with masters students when I was in second year along with thirty other people in my class so it's not a new or unusual phenomenon, it just means that'll it require more work.
    Am I right in thinking I register for subjects for the next two years? As in the subjects that will carry me through to the end of my degree?

No. You register for stage two only. You can however take modules that are at the 'difficulty' level of stage 3 if you know what I mean? The chances are any stage 3 modules you take now are probably optional modules next year anyway (unless they're core in which case they're not optional). Don't worry about next year, yet.
    In second year, do you still get to choose an elective?

Any advice would be great; I want to have it clear in my head so I can register on time and get the modules I want.

Essentially, you're pre-booked or you book yourself into the core modules. After that you pick the optional modules (about 5 I think) then go onto your electives (2 of these) and that's it.

Considering you're doing two subjects, it's most likely that you take half sociology and half social policy and you'll only do 2 electives. You'll probably have to do something like 5 cores modules, so you'll take 5 optional ones from either school (it doesn't matter how it's weighted, nearly all the same anyway) and then you take your 2 electives.
    Level 3 and all that shite is just the difficulty of the module, that's it, nothing got to do with doing them in 3rd year, it's just a coincidence in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rachc

Cheers El Siglo. Thanks for the help, think I was just stressing over the details a bit too much:rolleyes:!

Advertisement