Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno 11 Feedback

Options
  • 08-08-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭

What did everyone think of Inferno 11 and the new venue?

From my own perspective :

Pros :
    - The venue is great. Airy, full of light and very comfortable. Made for a much better atmosphere especially for the last couple of fights.
    - We got some walk ins. Proper ones, not just the junkies at the end. Whether they will take it up at all is a different matter but it's a good sign.
    - Chill out spot with couches.
    - Nice big fans.

Cons :
    - Too much light for the projector. Disappointing but they have blacks for the windows. So we live and learn. However the spectator screen worked out great and I think it would be better to stick to this rather than getting the projector set up.
    - Cost was an issue. We had to dip into the prize fund to cover costs. This is an aspect of the new venue. The set cost means that we can't reduce costs based on numbers as we could in the XGC.

They would be my thoughts. Overall I think it was good move and assuming we don't find somewhere better (Speedboat mentioned a place in Temple Bar which we can look into) I would say we could go with it for next month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

-I think the venue was great, only problem is the glare on the screens, however we wont be seeing much sunshine after this month.
    -We would have more walking if we had posters outside and around the cyber cafes
    -Also maybe something to consider, we cant get over a set amount , is there a point of even running inferno? How much in advance does a venue need to be booked, people should check their schedules and in such an even inferno should be run at XGC [its gonna be hard to calculate]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well I thought it was brilliant mainly because it wasn't a sweaty hellhole and the whole brightness thing is just a minor inconvienance and the set up with the screen and couches for watching the final few matches was perfect, really great atmosphere and good day out all together.

forgot to mention that nobody put up a poster outside the event, this possibly could have got more walkins

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I enjoyed it. Much more room, much cooler so no sweating etc.

It costs more than the XGC which means a lower prize fund, but who cares? It's not about the money, it's about the competition itself and it's more enjoyable there. People were more comfortable.

If it was me, I would abandon the projector idea. Light will be an issue even with black out curtains. And having owned several myself, unless you are prepared to spend atleast 1500 euro on one, it's going to be of low quality. The standard cheapo business "power-point" projectors won't do the fight justice in my opinion.

The setup we had where the players screen was split to a spectators screen was excellent. Everyone could see and it looked good on the screen. Perhaps we could buy a single large tv with some of the proceeds and use that. Lag and input delay wouldn't matter because it wouldn't be played on, only watched on. And we could use it at any venue, regardless of the light situation. Just an idea.

Well done to everybody who organised it. It went well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Placebo wrote: »
    -I think the venue was great, only problem is the glare on the screens, however we wont be seeing much sunshine after this month.
    -We would have more walking if we had posters outside and around the cyber cafes
    -Also maybe something to consider, we cant get over a set amount , is there a point of even running inferno? How much in advance does a venue need to be booked, people should check their schedules and in such an even inferno should be run at XGC [its gonna be hard to calculate]

Yeah will defo be trying to get the posters sorted asap. I agree. Would have been great if we had a poster outside. Hopefully we could have one there all month and in other places. If you could mod the posters date and number then we can try and get it printed soon.

I'm assuming you mean running Inferno at Space 54?
    Booking in advance would depend on how busy they are. Trying to calculate numbers is very hard, as things do come up and people can't always make it or we get lots of new people. We can cover costs by reducing the prize fund.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've already said most of this but:

1) Locking the doors.

Druggies are unpredictable, I don't think we want that to happen again.

2) Posters. We needs them. I think Dan is on it.

3) 4/3 monitors. I cant's play on them.

I'm not taking anyone who isn't a nuerosurgeon telling me how my brain figures trajectories for air throws. I think we should invest in a proper monitor or 2.

4) We should easy cap the final few fights for high quality as discussed with Terry. We could record commentary straight onto my mac. I vote Ry and whoever is free :D

5) The amount of money to the tournament running should be raised to 7 euro. Making a loss is unacceptable month on month.

6) We should make promo videos as I said before the last inferno and spread them round the yt channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

@ DoctorDoom I don't think locking the doors is an option if we want to get walkins etc. and a couple of junkies is no bother really there was plenty of people there and we'd easily bash them.
    Also I didn't even notice you doing any air throws at all!...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think the door should be closed [not locked], perhaps the poster should be on it "why not come in and watch" or something
    There are alot of junkies outside because of the area and we are not gonna get any worth while walk in's because of the location, its not central town.

Placebo wrote: »
    i think the door should be closed [not locked], perhaps the poster should be on it "why not come in and watch" or something
    There are alot of junkies outside because of the area and we are not gonna get any worth while walk in's because of the location, its not central town.

We got walk ins yesterday Farz.

Also, the junkies were clearly aware of the fact they could walk into the place. I think we need to lock it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

We got walk ins yesterday Farz.

Also, the junkies were clearly aware of the fact they could walk into the place. I think we need to lock it. :(

i haven't seen the place but junkies can walk into most places just like everyone else.. ya cant just close the doors cos of a few shams... whats the worst they could do anyway with a room of probably 20 or 30 people..

imagins if junkies became aware that they could just walk into other places -gasp-

meducation wrote: »
    i haven't seen the place but junkies can walk into most places just like everyone else.. ya cant just close the doors cos of a few shams... whats the worst they could do anyway with a room of probably 20 or 30 people..

imagins if junkies became aware that they could just walk into other places -gasp-

Actually, no, people can't just walk in and out of private places.

Having worked as a retail manager on Mary St, I could tell you a few stories on what can happen if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

I'll just repost what I said in the main Inferno thread:
    Anyway, the new venue gets a thumbs up from me, although at times there was a little too much light getting into the room, making things a little difficult to see on some of the darker stages. Much better than XGC though.

That said, the Temple Bar idea looks intriguing. After Inferno I went for a walk around the area before getting the bus home, and it's an interesting scene for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I thought the place was pretty much perfect. The only reason i see for using somewhere else is if its cheaper.

Actually, no, people can't just walk in and out of private places.

Having worked as a retail manager on Mary St, I could tell you a few stories on what can happen if you like.

people can walk into shops unless the security decide to stop them is that not what its like?..
    i dont know how private it is havin not been there but it seems that people walk in off the street regardless,
    first time i went to xgc i just strolled in with no questions asked and walked straight to the back... so whats stopping a junkie from doing that?
    seems like the same situation.

unless we have someone taking money at the door or some kind of security it could cause more problems trying to push the scum away than let them spectate for a few minutes and loose interest. maybe a ticket system or a "door man" of sorts just to collect money?
    unless were allowed to close the doors in which case could be good but we might be sacrificing getting walk ins who are genuinely interested in whats happening and may end up into the game and joining the scene.

and no thanks dont need junkie stories have plenty of them myself being residing in the ghetto lol :)

people are unpredictable in general some random guy in a suit could just as easily butcher us all but its probably not as likely

just looked the place up, its seems like its full of glass so players are pretty much on display the whole time,unless i looked at the wrong place, its bound to attract attention in the evenings being brightly lit in an otherwise dark city.. so it could attract unwanted attention in that area just as easily i agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Like yreval, i posted my thoughts in the inferno thread so i'll repost it here.
    New venue was without doubt a success, even just for the atmosphere alone. For those who weren't there, for the finals we had split the video signal; one going direct to the player monitor, the other going to a tv screen facing the opposite way where everyone had gathered to watch on comfortable couches. This "separation" between players and spectators really allowed people to get into it without fear of disrupting the players. It also allowed myself and cobelcog to do a little bit of showboating, something that would have simply been impossible in xgc. :cool:

animaX wrote: »
    Like yreval, i posted my thoughts in the inferno thread so i'll repost it here.
    sweet man i like the idea of having a separate screen for matches..

meducation wrote: »
    just looked the place up, its seems like its full of glass so players are pretty much on display the whole time

Nah, the windows were covered in net curtains, you couldn't see from the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

You don't want walk ins from that area. How many gamers or street fighter 4 players would you really be expecting to be walking by on a specific date? Posters should be put up in game shops and college campus notice boards weeks in advance where local gamers and street fighter 4 players are most likely to see them.

Costs: you can supplement the cost of the venue by selling snacks and drinks. All you need is a fridge and someone to man the tills. I wouldn't be walking up to spar for coke and water and a chocolate bar if someone was selling them at the venue.

Also, get someone to announce what is going on and when. Like, when are group stages going to start, when it finished and when the next stages begins etc.

And set up the monitors and play area away from the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

CodeMonkey wrote: »

If we do that we'll have cables running across the floor which is never a good thing. Around the edges is much better.

You don't want walk ins from that area. How many gamers or street fighter 4 players would you really be expecting to be walking by on a specific date?

Yesterday we got two.
    Posters should be put up in game shops weeks in advance where local gamers and street fighter 4 players are most likely to see them.

We're working on it. Any thoughts on locations? My current thoughts are the venue, XGC, game shops and the unis once they go back.
    Costs: you can supplement the cost of the venue by selling snacks and drinks. All you need is a fridge and someone to man the tills. I wouldn't be walking up to spar for coke and water and a chocolate bar if someone was selling them at the venue.

It's a good idea but that's way above our current cost and organisation level.
    Also, get someone to announce what is going on and when. Like, when are group stages going to start, when it finished and when the next stages begins etc.

Ah the joys of organisation. I did this at a previous tournament for double elim and people felt it was going too slow. They wanted matches to be run. Need to find a balance.

Also yesterday I was still finding my feet in that venue so I was wary of the time.

The monitors were set up that way as we were hoping to use a projector. I was worried about the windows but I asked a few people as we were setting up and no one thought it was bad enough to change anything.
    We have some different options for next time.

a)Use theatre blacks on the windows. Keep it the way it was and use the projector.
    b) Reverse the layout that was there yesterday.
    c) Others

Thanks for the feedback.

On another note, when I get short with people at tournaments there's no anger there. It's just the way I am in those situations.

"I think fast. I talk fast. I need you guys to act fast." Mr. Wolfe - Problem Solver

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »

On another note, when I get short with people at tournaments there's no anger there. It's just the way I am in those situations.

Dan, is this helping? Is this helping Dan? Dan?

Dan, I want compulsory banana breaks Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

I liked it!

1 thing though, can we reduce the matches in the playoff group to just 1 game instead of best of 3?. That kinda drags out.

It did drag out but I'm not sure what to do about it.

One game is an option. But I was also thinking about making a small single elim knockout.

In reality it will have to be decided on the day as it will depend on how many are needed and how many are in the playoffs.

Orim wrote: »
    One game is an option. But I was also thinking about making a small single elim knockout.

I'm not so sure about any changes to be honest. We've all agreed before to run groups as best of three. And single elim is never popular.

Things will run faster and smoother as we get more accustomed to the place

Perhaps the play off round should be best of 1. That's what made it a little saggy round the middle for me.

I really didn't like the groups being 1 fight, to me the real skill in SF is learning your opponent whereas anyone can get a quick win using stuff that will only work the once.

2 out of three you've the opportunity to learn. At the last inferno I had what I thought was a great fight with AnimaX in groups, he hockeyed me in the first fight but then I was getting closer and closer to having his number.

I think everyone deserves the chance to show they can learn, 1 fight doesn't allow that really imo.

animaX wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about any changes to be honest. We've all agreed before to run groups as best of three. And single elim is never popular.

Things will run faster and smoother as we get more accustomed to the place

Im talking about the playoff group after the main groups. That went on for ages on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

The problem was that we waited until all the groups were finished before even starting the playoff group. There's always one or two groups that take a bit longer than others to finish, and during this time the other players in the playoff group can get their matches out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Bush80 wrote: »
    Im talking about the playoff group after the main groups. That went on for ages on Saturday.

agreed, its the only part that dragged. playoffs should be single elim and not groups imo

Advertisement