Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno 11 Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

My point that '18.5 is small still stands though.
    If you're going shell out a monitor for a community, the initial outlay for a monitor is worth tacking on a few extra €€s for a larger size.

(Also, when considering the reputable HDTV manufactures, your looking at a few ms lag vs a bog standard monitor anyway, and 90% of folks are gonna be playing on a TV anyway whilst at home so the majority of competitors wouldn't even notice.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I thought 18 inches would be too small to but playing on the ones in space 54 were fine. Id still prefer a 22 inch though but id have no problem with 18 inch

I'd agree,

But as it's community cash, why fork out for a small monitor just to be used for rounds / groups etc when there's an abundance of those, rather then wait to get the extra few €€ for a bigger one that could be used for split screen finals, (one for spectating, one for competitors,) as that'd be of far more use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

A-Trak wrote: »
    I'd agree,

But as it's community cash, why fork out for a small monitor just to be used for rounds / groups etc when there's an abundance of those, rather then wait to get the extra few €€ for a bigger one that could be used for split screen finals, (one for spectating, one for competitors,) as that'd be of far more use.

Ye makes sense. There is a decent looking 22 inch on there thats not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'd agree,

Cause we need to eventually get eight of them for consistentancy and bringing one extra big telly for spectators isn't a big deal as it can be laggy as hell.

The reason I want that monitor is becuase it is cheap, seems to be pretty good on the input delay, it's widescreen and its relatively easy to transport.

I want to avoid the situation that happened at the last inferno where people didn't want to play on one monitor because it was too small (What size was that Dell? 14"), people didn't want to play on another monitor because it was too laggy, there was the issue with half the displays being 4:3.

An abundance of monitors? We barely had the eight for the last Inferno and at that I wouldn't want to use two of them again.

EDIT : Also as I said before if someone wants to put some research into the €150 euro Viewsonic that was linked before, I'm cool with that but I'm happy personnally with the smaller monitor to play on. In fact I prefer the smaller monitor. Also I would be aiming to have a bigger display for spectators anyway so any monitors we buy will be purely for playing. Maybe get the projector going next time, although I liked the screen and a projector would also mean giving up the light in the place which I felt was part of the good vibe that was present at the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

If it makes any difference to purchasing plans I'll more than likely be at the next Inferno (date allowing) so I can bring my 24" Samsung monitor and projector.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Orim wrote: »
    Ordered two PS3 VGA cables. Also getting some printer quotes. Presume I'll hear back tomorrow.

Also, I found that I have an extra copy of Super. Is anyone missing a 360 copy? I think it may have been brought in a Fable 2 box.

That's mine. Can you hold on to that til I get to Dublin again? I've bought another copy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Am I the only person who thinks buying 8 monitors for events that attract 30 people is insane?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Am I the only person who thinks buying 8 monitors for events that attract 30 people is insane?

Perhaps, but 1 or 2 certainly isn't, and Inferno sometimes attracts alot more than 30.

• Advertisement

We're not buying them all at once. They will be bought gradually over time and they won't just be used for Inferno.

Will it be insane if we get in touch in with some of the cons around the country and are able to run tournaments at these events that bring in hundreds or thousands of people?

Even with Inferno anything that makes it run better is a step towards getting more people.

What would you suggest towards improving the tournaments and giving fighting games a better presence?

As I'm not sure of what sort of revenue stream casuals / tournies generate, (If at all, I think the studio 55 was made a minus,) so what expected timeframes would be involved in buying 8 monitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

As I'm not sure of what sort of revenue stream casuals generate

None if your brother keeps coming :D

It's all up in the air with the move.

As you say the last tourney made a loss but previously we would have been approaching enough to buy one a month. We will have to wait and see what happens next month. I am still looking into possible other venues or if Space 54 continues to be the spot then try to get a block booking discount to reduce the cost.

animaX wrote: »
    None if your brother keeps coming :D

Now you know my pain Terry, he "borrowed" a stick off me, opened it up, took the sanwa stick and spring out, took the microswitches from the stick as well as a few quick disconnects and then put it back together.

Even with Inferno anything that makes it run better is a step towards getting more people

That's only really true if the attendance is being significantly hampered by bad tvs/set up/location.

PR would get attendance up before better tellies would.

But that's not to say better tellies is a mistake, Getting one decent monitor, big, clear, and as lagless as possible, is a far better idea imo than getting a cheaper smaller one, in the hope of getting more in the future, for a situation which may or may not pan out.

If you're going to get a monitor, a sweet one for the finals and winners bracket trumps consistancy on the groups front in my opinion

It's all up in the air with the move.

As you say the last tourney made a loss but previously we would have been approaching enough to buy one a month. We will have to wait and see what happens next month. I am still looking into possible other venues or if Space 54 continues to be the spot then try to get a block booking discount to reduce the cost.

Cheers Dan.

I'd fully agree with the move away from XGC as well, my days of tournies there are done I'd say, it's just not set up for a tourney as well as lacking the spectating space that 55 seems to have for finals, and to be honest the XGC can be fairly antisocial due to space limitations when there's 35+ folk there, not to mention the heat.

Also, due to a good few folk missing from the last event, I'd imagine the next ones numbers will be higher, especially seeing the feedback from everyone who attended 55.

As for buying 8 monitors, I'd still veer towards purchasing larger size displays vs. a greater number of smaller ones.
    I'd say 4 larger vs 8 smaller would be of greater benefit, bot for infernoes and proposed cons.

That's only really true if the attendance is being significantly hampered by bad tvs/set up/location.

PR would get attendance up before better tellies would.

But that's not to say better tellies is a mistake, Getting one decent monitor, big, clear, and as lagless as possible, is a far better idea imo than getting a cheaper smaller one, in the hope of getting more in the future, for a situation which may or may not pan out.

If you're going to get a monitor, a sweet one for the finals and winners bracket trumps consistancy on the groups front in my opinion

PR is being done at the same time. It's not an and/or situation.

Consistancy is not just for groups it's for brackets too. We have had situations where people refused to play on X/Y/Z and this creates a massive headaches on the organisation side.
    Why do we need a big monitor for finals? I fail to see any benefit this would have to the community. I have agreed that perhaps pushing to a 20+ monitor could be feasible but I would prefer to keep it as cheap as possible.

This is exactly the kind of situation where we need to plan towards the future rather then going in half cocked.

No big monitors until we have enough standardised small ones for groups, IMO.

A further point to add regarding groups consistenacy; It more important to get good monitors for groups as the people who don't make it out of groups are the ones we need to convince to stay. The people who get to top 16 and especially finals area are going to come down regardless of what they have to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I just want to put it out there that anything the size of Dark Onions monitor is unacceptably small in my view. Maybe he can tell us what size that is.

Kinda agree with a-trak on this also, smaller amount but better quality and size. There are still people willing to bring (perfectly acceptable) monitors along

18.5 is small, would we not be better off waiting to get a 20+
    I have agreed that perhaps pushing to a 20+ monitor could be feasible but I would prefer to keep it as cheap as possible..

It's not a lot of euro's between 2ms '18.5 monitors and 20'. screens.

The screen size is a lot better, and if you're someone awkward like me who'd prefer to sit on the ground when playing, 2 inches is a lot.
    (In before "that's what your misses said," jokes.)

animaX wrote: »
    I just want to put it out there that anything the size of Dark Onions monitor is unacceptably small in my view. Maybe he can tell us what size that is.

Kinda agree with a-trak on this also, smaller amount but better quality and size. There are still people willing to bring (perfectly acceptable) monitors along

Completely agree but I'm assuming that was 12 - 15"

18.5 is not that small, in fact most of the monitors including the monitor that was used for finals was in around that size.

I also want to point out that BenQ is a quality manufacturer of monitors and that is a low price as opposed to being a cheap monitor, if you get me.

Anyway I'm off home. I'll give out more in IRC (all decisions will be made in IRC later) :pac:

What was the size variants between all the brought monitors to 55, and how many were deemed unplayable, I.E. what monitors were folk not willing to play on?

What was the size variants between all the brought monitors to 55, and how many were deemed unplayable, I.E. what monitors were folk not willing to play on?

I can't play on a 4:3 monitor, so about 50% of the monitors were unusable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I can't play on a 4:3 monitor, so about 50% of the monitors were unusable for me.

All they do is make you whiff your air throw - I think they should be compulsory :p

Why do we need a big monitor for finals? I fail to see any benefit this would have to the community.

Isn't a big reason for the move to space 54, the atmosphere and conditions for attendees.

The final there had far more hype than anything previous. A good thing.

As regards people not playing on a monitor, unless it's to an extreme (impossible to see, picture glitching, 1 sec of lag) people need to play on the monitor they were given. Everyone else did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

so if there's already atmosphere etc why do we need to buy a big monitor as any kind of priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    so if there's already atmosphere etc why do we need to buy a big monitor as any kind of priority?

We don't.

Also, 18.5" monitors are plenty big enough when you're sitting right in front of them.

• Advertisement

Isn't a big reason for the move to space 54, the atmosphere and conditions for attendees.

The final there had far more hype than anything previous. A good thing.

As regards people not playing on a monitor, unless it's to an extreme (impossible to see, picture glitching, 1 sec of lag) people need to play on the monitor they were given. Everyone else did.

As dreddy pointed out the atmosphere had nothing to do with the monitors being played and all to do with the spectator monitor. As I already said this can still be provided with a big monitor as lag doesn't matter and someone can bring in a tv to be the spectator monitor. Purchasing monitors is all about gameplay and they need to be at the very least under 10ms of input delay with as many as possible so everyone is on the same, even and working playing field.

As for everyone else playing on monitors they were given, you did. That's not to say everyone did and there was multiple people that complained to me about monitors. I did my best to accommodate but I would rather fix this situation so that every station is viable to be played on and no station is "better" than another.
    It's not a lot of euro's between 2ms '18.5 monitors and 20'. screens.

The screen size is a lot better, and if you're someone awkward like me who'd prefer to sit on the ground when playing, 2 inches is a lot.
    (In before "that's what your misses said," jokes.)

If someone can find a decent monitor and do the research on it, I am willing to promote. As it is we are talking double the price for a 22" monitor that I would be happy to start buying. There was another linked for €150 which may be good enough but someone needs to look into it. I mean I spent a couple of hours researching the monitor I am recommending. I'm content that it should meet our needs admirably and I'm willing to stand by that recommendation to the point of taking the financial hit should it not work out.

I'm not just being contrary, I honestly believe this looks to be a very good solution for our needs. This is especially true as no one has really given a great reason for needing bigger monitors, until yours. The want to sit on the floor is perfectly reasonable and I would like to be able accommodate you as best as possible.

We ranged from a tiny which I would guess a >14" to a telly that was 22" to 24". They were the two that caused the most consternation due to the small size and the fact that the HDTV was laggy. Other then that it was most around the 18" 19" mark with one 22".

Advertisement