Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty Calor Gas Butane Cylinders

Options
  • 08-08-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Just wondering if anybody had come across with this....

Tried to return 3 empty Butane gas bottles to the petrol station where I bought it as I am moving house. But to my surprise, i was told that I won't get the deposit money back? The reason i was given was CALOR gas won't buy back the bottles!!!

I can't see why the retailer / calor gas are refusing to pay back the deposit, as they are charging a deposit when we buy a new Cylinder?

Are all the places like this... or just the one in my town? Is there any way to get some deposit money back?

thanks a million.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm not aware that I have ever paid for gas bottles, though we have had them continuously for a long number of years. We always just swap them, sometimes we have two, sometimes four cylinders depending on the mood of the guys delivering and how many are actually empty (sometimes in the winter there is a bit in one that has to wait for warmer weather).

I thought there was some sort of security issue about selling a cylinder without an empty replacement, though I might be wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

looksee wrote: »

I thought there was some sort of security issue about selling a cylinder without an empty replacement, though I might be wrong about that.

No, its simply a money issue. As the OP has still got some cylinders in their house it costs money to make them so, in essance when you buy gas without an empty you are paying for the cylinder and when its empty you swap for the full one and pay for the gas.

Im not sure why they wont take back the empties and refund the deposit however

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

snyper wrote: »
    Im not sure why they wont take back the empties and refund the deposit however
    Me neither. I never use the stuff but the previous owner of the house I bought kindly left two behind (along with a pile of other crap, but that's another story!) Even if I didn't want the deposit back, nowhere I tried seemed interested in taking them back for some obscure reason. In the end I just dumped them outside the nearest gas supplier when they were closed, and ran for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have an idea there was something about gas cylinders and security during the 70's/80's to help prevent them being turned into bombs.

Advertisement