Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My resident robin has eaten rat poison

Options
  • 08-08-2010 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

Kicking myself. Has a rat lurking which was dispatched with poison. There was a second dose left out. Which was not needed.

just seen the little robin which has been with us for a couple of years pecking at it. The little lad would land on my hand for seeds.

I have to administer vitamin K to him some how, Or he (or she) will die within a couple of days.

Suggestions?? Im thinking of the muti vitamin I have for me would do the trick. It has Vitamin K in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you might do more harm than good with multivitamins (thats a guess, I'm not sure). There is vitamin K in olive oil and oats and wheat, could you soak some cereal with oil and see if he will eat that. Hope he survives, let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

He took the stuff. If he comes back tomorrow I will know he did not bleed to death.

hamster feed and multi Vit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Any sign of him?

yep. he is hopping around outside.

the neighbors cat has an eyeball on him now. lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's great news :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

The last time I put down poison was over 10 years ago and it was a complete disaster.The rats crawled into the house to die-the smell was terrible and I spent weeks ripping up floorboards in order to extract them.The owl that had been living in the garden for years dissapeared and the rodents just came back afew months later.Its a completely crap,lazy way to deal with the problem-keep your yard or garden tidy/get a female cat and dont feed it too much/buy or borrow a terrier/shoot them/find a man with ferrets etc.Hope robin is o.k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Most vets will treat wildlife for free aparently also check out wildlifematters.ie if something like that happens again.

wayoutwest wrote: »
    The last time I put down poison was over 10 years ago and it was a complete disaster.The rats crawled into the house to die-the smell was terrible and I spent weeks ripping up floorboards in order to extract them.The owl that had been living in the garden for years dissapeared and the rodents just came back afew months later.Its a completely crap,lazy way to deal with the problem-keep your yard or garden tidy/get a female cat and dont feed it too much/buy or borrow a terrier/shoot them/find a man with ferrets etc.Hope robin is o.k.

ERRR. the rats dead. It worked perfectly. My yard and garden are manicured to perfection every week. I just forgot to dump the old stuff.

Advertisement