Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Need To Know Stopping Distances?

• 08-08-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I have my test on wedensday and I was wondering if I need to know the stopping distances of a car in dry, wet etc... for the theory part of my test, or has anyone ever been asked them? I know you do for the theory test, but what about the driving test?

Also do you get asked the road work signs?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'd say you will be fine without knowing stopping distances. I did my test twice and I didn't get asked any stopping distances either time.

But you do get asked road work signs! Most of them are common sense, but some you need to know well e.g. crossover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

My instructor told me just to say the speed in distance. I.e. 50m for 50kph, 100m for 100kph, then double it up for wet wether. Serious case of rounding up i know but he said it would work. I gues the thinking is they'd only do ya for it if you said something less than whats in the ROTR, but not greater. Thankfully i didnt get asked in the test. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Remember, you need to get three theory questions wrong to warrant a Grade 2 fault. If you just get one wrong (e.g. a question on stopping distances) it won't affect the test result - so I wouldn't worry about stopping distances too much!

Advertisement