Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get into online content writing/copywriting/freelance writing...

Options
  • 08-08-2010 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi all,

I have always been interested in writing, but I had never really thought pursuing it professionally when I was younger (in spite of the fact that people had often remarked that writing was one of my strengths).

In any case...

I studied languages at third level (French and German, but the course also involved completing technical writing assignments), but I dropped out part way through the third year of a four-year degree, due to personal circumstances at the time.

I have since retrained and qualified as an accountant, but I have been thinking lately that I would like to explore the possibility of writing professionally for a living (part-time at least). I'm not so sure that I would enjoy Technical Writing as a career (I found it quite restrictive when I did it in college), so I have been thinking more along the lines of copywriting/content writing for websites.
    I quite enjoy writing humorous pieces as well, but I think that breaking into comedy writing would be significantly more difficult!

So my questions are these:

What sort of qualifications would I need?
    Can these qualifications be sought in Dublin?
    Does anyone think I am crazy after having spent years qualifying as an accountant?(!)
    Is it feasible that I could complete the appropriate courses, prepare a portfolio and eventually become self-employed?
    Is it possible to offer free content writing services to website developers in order to build a portfolio? How should this be done?

I like certain aspects of accountancy (knowing how a business works etc)., but I am really craving a creative outlet at this stage and I really enjoy writing, information, research, creative thinking etc.. I've started writing and submitting slogans that I have come up with to various websites just to get my thoughts flowing, but that is as far as I have gotten...

I would be very grateful for any advice that anyone could offer...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would be very grateful for any advice that anyone could offer...

Try the Creative Writing forum, perhaps?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Boredsdotie

Tom I'm not really sure how to use Boards - I just post the threads! Please pass on any advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Boredsdotie

Tom,

That brings me to my next question - how do I post to a particular forum?(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Tom,

That brings me to my next question - how do I post to a particular forum?(!)

I am not sure I understand your question.

You have already posted to this forum, the creative writing forum and the Works/Jobs forum.

So can you clarify what you mean?

Advertisement