Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

very strange behaviour - is it a virus?

• 08-08-2010 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

XP Home SP3 on a laptop patched with up to date AV

Lasyt night i noticed i cannot search for anything all searches turn to iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. There is no letter i on its own. I cannot type firefox. It becomes friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

The same happens when trying to enter an url in address bar. It becomes www.iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Has anyone ever seen this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

when you type any other letter is i replacing the letter

Or is your i key stuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

WIZE wrote: »
    when you type any other letter is i replacing the letter
    yes and it just goes off repeating i's
    Or is your i key stuck
    not sure no i appears when it is struck but it does 'move'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

could be a hardware fault.. can you boot to Windows Safe Mode, or maybe to a CD and see if you can type the letter i outside of Windows.

Did you spill anything on it.. ?

could be a hardware fault.. can you boot to Windows Safe Mode, or maybe to a CD and see if you can type the letter i outside of Windows.
    ok i have i's everywhere except when i hit the i key.anything i type, every second letter is i. in firefox looking for about:config it becomes aibioi but the i in config will not type
    Did you spill anything on it.. ?
    no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

that is a very strange problem. It does sound like it is your actual 'i' key on the keyboard especially as that key doesnt work. Maybe a small bit of something stuck under the key that you cannot see.

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    that is a very strange problem. It does sound like it is your actual 'i' key on the keyboard especially as that key doesnt work. Maybe a small bit of something stuck under the key that you cannot see.
    Safe mode makes no difference. Also in safe mode the only option when clicking start is that it goes to webpage and this is offline. I cannot click start and then choose a program such as notepad to test the i. By clicking start it goes to browser. I clicked in the address bar when offline and the i just ran along the address bar like iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. jaze you couldn't make it up, really weird. A quick virus scan says clean

I will take on board suggestions here and work on it and post back tomorrow going out now,Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Ah that def sounds like a problem with the key. Word of warning tho. I had to open a dell laptop before and found it very difficult to get under the keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You have a few options:
    try an external keyboard, USB or PS/2 according to your laptop model
    get a replacement KB from ebay
    use XP's on-screen KB (look for accessibility) (not a great idea if you do a lot of typing !)

It works with the on screen keyboardo must be keyboard. I will have to get a usb keyboard. Thanks everyone for the help;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

definitely sounds like something caught in the keyboard
    what type of laptop is it and maybe we can tell you how to open it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement