Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to Helsinki

Options
  • 08-08-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I accepted an offer for a job in Nokia's Helsinki office two days ago.

I would like to know if anyone has lived there before and if they have any advice.
    I plan to rent in city centre and commute to Espoo. Is it practical to bring my car over or should I sell it? Is there an equivalent to VRT in Finland if I were to bring it over with me?

I was recommended Toolo as a place to live, are there any other areas I should consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Living Abroad forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Töölö would be pretty nice if you want to live in the city centre. Also check out Kamppi and Hietalahti which are adjacent similar areas.

Please note that unlike in Ireland, rental accomodation in Finland is usually not furnished, so either look for a furnished apartment, or be prepared to spend for some furniture.

Probably not worth the trouble to bring your car over, and your steering would be on the other side too. I haven't owned a car in Finland so I don't know about the tax side of things. But it's only 15 minutes on the bus (assuming you're working at the Nokia HQ) from the city centre, and if you're staying for a few years, the metro to Espoo will be ready soon.

Advertisement