Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling Fans in Dell Server

Options
  • 08-08-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

I have a Poweredge 4600 which I am going using for some Training and testing at home but nothing intensive.

It's a rackmount unit and it has six fans which are fairly noisy to have running in the house. What would your opinions be on taking them all out and leaving the cover of it. alternatively I could try and get a quieter version of the fans in it. I know removing the fans is not an ideal solution but it basically will be doing no work just sitting there

I'll just be running 1 IDE drive in it which will reduce the HD heat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I have a Poweredge 4600 which I am going using for some Training and testing at home but nothing intensive.

It's a rackmount unit and it has six fans which are fairly noisy to have running in the house. What would your opinions be on taking them all out and leaving the cover of it. alternatively I could try and get a quieter version of the fans in it. I know removing the fans is not an ideal solution but it basically will be doing no work just sitting there

I'll just be running 1 IDE drive in it which will reduce the HD heat.

not a good idea.. the PE servers will shutdown when certain temp thresholds are breached! eventhough you can change this setting the fans are there for a reason and should only get really loud when the need for extra cooling arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's a 4U server case, so depending on the processors and load you probably could get away with quieter fans.

You'd have to keep the fans feeding air to the power supplies.

What sort of testing and training are you looking to do though? Just leaving these things plugged in (and off) uses enough ESB and heat to justify a cheap new desktop or self build which would be faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I know the feeling. I have a 2650 with 7 fans at least and its very loud.

I wouldn't disconnect them though, what you could do is investigate soldering in newer, more hitech quiet fans. Would be a little work but might help. That model is about 4-6 years old, I am sure you can probably get more noise efficient models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Might be easier and cheaper to just get a cloud/virtual hosting solution instead?

Advertisement