Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of an Architect

Options
  • 08-08-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Just wondering roughly what it would cost us to get an Architect to draw up some plans for a single storey extension to our bungalow. We are considering doing an extension but need ideas of how to get the rooms and designs we want. So any idea of what our initial costs would be to just get a rough set of drawings done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

call a few architects???? it doesn't cost anything to do this...... and they will give you a price.

I got my arch for €4k + VAT to do my full planning dwgs for my whole house, great value IMO but you can get cheaper

you pay for what you get!!!!!

EM

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

PaddyJules wrote: »
    Just wondering roughly what it would cost us to get an Architect to draw up some plans for a single storey extension to our bungalow. We are considering doing an extension but need ideas of how to get the rooms and designs we want. So any idea of what our initial costs would be to just get a rough set of drawings done?
    I would like to ask the same question. I had 2 architects out but neither of them gave me any ideas. The first visit was free but I feel I didn't get much out of it. I now need to decide which one I am giving the job too or should I get a third opinion. The prices I got are between €500 to €800 and I still wouldn't have drawings only sketches. I wonder where are all the unemployed architects I read about in the newspapers. Any of them doing nixers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Where did I put Norman Foster's number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

puss wrote: »
    neither of them gave me any ideas. The first visit was free but I feel I didn't get much out of it.

Architects sell , amongst other things - ideas . They don't give them away no more than any other business gives its wares away . You may feel you got nothing out of of the first visit - neither did the Architect .

Start by asking to see examples of work done already . Look for enthusiasm for your project on behalf of the Architect . You won't really find this of you expect a nixer though .

To prepare a considered design for an extension would first require a measured survey of the existing house and the site . Then you need to establish a brief - i.e. what you want from the project and what your budget is . Only then can any Architect respond with anything meaningful to you - after some considerable thought and time has been spent on your case . The amounts stated are more than reasonable given the workload .

Now I may be wrong but I sense you did not give a sense of commitment to either of the architects you spoke to perhaps because you don't appreciate
    what you are asking for in terms of the work that must be prepared for you .

An Architect can completely transform your home beyond all recognition for you .

But if all you want is a nixer .... well I for one would not be interested . In any economic climate .

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

Thank you for your reply.
    "Start by asking to see examples of work done already . Look for enthusiasm for your project on behalf of the Architect . You won't really find this of you expect a nixer though"

That just it - neither had any samples of their work with them. I thought if they wanted the job they should have sold them selves better. Believe me it isn't any lack of commitment on my part.
    I was told by two builders that they could build it without any drawings but that is a road I am not prepared to go.
    I all ready have a full set of drawings for my house and I don't need to completely transform my house beyond recognition.
    This is a small extension that won't need planning permission so as such it is my understanding that I won't need as detailed drawings as you would need for planning.

'Where did I put Norman Foster's number?"
    You will find it here seeing that you have lost it.
    http://www.fosterandpartners.com/Practice/Default.aspx

• Advertisement

puss wrote: »
    I don't need to completely transform my house beyond recognition. This is a small extension that won't need planning permission so as such it is my understanding that I won't need as detailed drawings as you would need for planning.

What "ideas" are you looking for so ? I hope you find what your looking for soon

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

The architect I used charged €1 per sq/ft for a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

wclarke20 wrote: »
    The architect I used charged €1 per sq/ft for a new build.

Then they obviously weren't architects!

Then they obviously weren't architects!

Well they are one of the most renowned architects in Meath and fully qualified too I might add!

I priced two other architects and they were all quoting similar prices.

In comparison you can get plans off IrishHousePlans.com for approx €700. Mine will still cost €2800 which is plenty! :eek:

Wclarke20 - was this for planning permission only ?

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Wclarke20 - was this for planning permission only ?

Yes,
    they come on site, assess it and sketch designs based on a brief. After approval of basic sketches, they draw it up on CAD. the CAD can be changed as much as wanted with no extra cost.

They look after the entire application and basically just tell me what i need to get.

I have prepared many in my time . Typically they take about 3 man weeks . Sometimes more rarely less .

3 x 40 x €25 = €3000.

Work out the annual salary .

I don't drive a merc

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

I have prepared many in my time . Typically they take about 3 man weeks . Sometimes more rarely less .

3 x 40 x €25 = €3000.

Work out the annual salary .

I don't drive a merc
    Is that only one project for the 3 weeks?

That is the typical time required . So if the architect works alone and has other tasks to attend to the hours will spread across more then 3 calender weeks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

mollzer wrote: »
    Is that only one project for the 3 weeks?

Market forces dictate that acrhitects fees are now greatly reduced. It's as simple as that.
    Local papers now regularly featuring cut price ads from out of work architects. Look in small ads. Probably have to pay cash, but ........ that's ok too.

Sinnerboy forces kick in too . I won't drop below what I consider to be my worth . Simple as that too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bluemountainz

I'm just after receiving my planning permission last week and now we need to get the building/working drawings done up. Our architect has advised me that this would cost €6k to do!! I realise that there is some work involved in this but this figure seems a bit much to me seeing as we've already paid him jusr under €7k for design and drawings for planning permission. Do you think this amount sounds right?

It could well be depending on the house design . It takes a fair amount of time and therefore cost to put together real working drawings . But you will be repaid this over and over during the build with

- documents which define what contractors must provide . Options for them to later hit you with the "extras" they did not include for are minimized

- documents which define the works to allow the work plan to proceed smoothly with minimal additional information . If you have these drawings you will not be posting here - as many do - something like " I'm pouring my slab on Monday and have conflicting advice on how much/ what type of insulation to install first - help"

- at completion a building you know with certainty complies with building regs . Part L ( Conservation of Energy ) in particular is complex .

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pat1981

Hi, when I got my planning permission I used the drawings submitted to the planning office to build my house, I gave the drawings to the builder and after agreeing a price built the house. It didn't seem necessary or was ever discussed to do what your suggesting.
    Your circumstances must be different to mine but I wonder why can't you work off the drawings that you submitted to the planning office, is this a one off or a development project,any way best of luck..

Builders CANNOT certify works but they CAN build without professional input and of course and many are more than happy with this free reign and to be fair many clients end up happy enough with this .

We have left an era when so much much of our building stock was built without professional input .

When conveyancing solicitors have been obliged to seek , but crucially not obtain , certificates of compliance with 1. planning permission and 2 . building regulations . During the just departed good old days it was enough for the seller to "declare" that no certs would be forthcoming .

The sale process moved on and as money was cheap lenders did not pass up on the opportunity to simply lend and lend . There was in practice little or no consequence to building extensions or renovations without regard to building regulations .

I believe that time has passed now and that along with ghost estate properties that buildings with uncertified works will be either impossible to sell or will only sell at a significant discount .

Again builders CANNOT certify works .

Be very , very clear on one point - in the event of enforcement action for non compliance with building regulations - the building owner is liable.

No one else .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Builders CANNOT certify works.

The other problem I find is that builders very often do not know current building regulations (in terms of insulation, ventilation, etc., etc). They tend to be about 10 years behind! If you build off planning drawings, without a detailed specifications, and/or let your builder decide the specifications, there's every chance you may find your house will not comply with building regulations.

As sinnerboy says, at the end of the day, the building owner is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

HI guys,

Well from my previous post I said my Arch cost me €4000+VAT to get me to planning and I was happy with that because he designed me a great house and I got planning.

Anyway I asked him to give me a quote to finish out the rest detailed design tender sign off etc etc full arch service. MY house is about 2500sqr ft nothing huge. I got the quote back a few days ago and it took me back

15,000+VAT +Eng +QS:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

He is taking the pi**. I called him and from his tone he couldn't be bothered and I got the impression he didn't really want the work.

I don't know what to say lads????

I did how ever with out any guilt call another Arch that was recomened to me and he quoted €4500 to do detailed dwgs and tender etc. and €2500 for site supervision. A lot more reasonable to me

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Good man Eco Mental . Architects don't have fixed fees - they compete so shop around . Download the link from this post . you will see that whilst an averaged cost is indicated by the red line on the graph there is a massive variation from highest to lowest as indicated by the blue dots on the graph .

So pick your architect with care and not on price alone . Like anything else one may purchase you must balance price and quality . Always ask for references .

But I insist - the biggest cost mistake you can make with respect to hiring an architect or architectural technician is not to hire one at all .

You simply risk too much .

I should of added that when the house was built a architects certificate was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

pat1981 wrote: »
    I should of added that when the house was built a architects certificate was given.

At which point it should be noted that there's as many cowboy 'architects' as there are cowboy builders! Hopefully they'll still be in business if something goes t1ts up. Btw dis you get your BER cert, and your wastewater treatment system cert as well??

Well I built my house in 2005 ,infill development, came with planning, my architect supervised the build for a very reasonable fee and cert issued. Tbh don't know where the cowboy element is coming from,I sourced a local builder with a very good reputation and reasonable,I was that impressed we gave him other work as well. Sold the house in 08.
    One thing I paid particular attention , was the conveyancing side, particularly when I purchased the site.
    Good luck to the op in whatever decision decides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bluemountainz

Having made a few phone calls I've sourced a couple of engineers who have quoted prices in the region of 2k for a complete set of drawings. This sounds like a much more reasonable price to me, but a part of me is also worried that this seems too cheap compared to my original quote. Are there any particular questions that I should be asking these engineers?

Will DEAP calcs be provided to demonstrate compliance with Part L
    How much time will they devote to your options here
    What AT strategy
    How will thermal bridging be minimised
    How much time will they devote to site
    What support will you get if the builder does not build to spec
    What assistance with cost control
    What contract will they administer
    What m+e info will they provide for you to seek prices
    What info will you receive to obtain windows prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Jennieflower

I got my Architect for 1,100. He was fantastic, did everything he was supposed to do, could always contact him at home or on the mobile. He works on his own, if that makes any difference!

Built my bungalow 2 years ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    HI guys,

Well from my previous post I said my Arch cost me €4000+VAT to get me to planning and I was happy with that because he designed me a great house and I got planning.

Anyway I asked him to give me a quote to finish out the rest detailed design tender sign off etc etc full arch service. MY house is about 2500sqr ft nothing huge. I got the quote back a few days ago and it took me back

15,000+VAT +Eng +QS:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

He is taking the pi**. I called him and from his tone he couldn't be bothered and I got the impression he didn't really want the work.

I don't know what to say lads????

I did how ever with out any guilt call another Arch that was recomened to me and he quoted €4500 to do detailed dwgs and tender etc. and €2500 for site supervision. A lot more reasonable to me
    No disrespect but maybe the architect hated working with you on your house and decided to give you a big price.

Ive done this,ive given bigger than normal quotes to people i simply dont want to do the work for.If they accept it great,ill be compensated for having to deal with them again

Advertisement