Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook pro - can you justify the price?

Options
  • 08-08-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

My 3yr old Dell is about to give up on me so I think it's time to make a change. I am considering getting a macbook pro. My reasons are not at all very sound - It looks cool and I want to use some of Apple's software eg Logic Pro.

However MBPs look like horrendous value for money. It seems I can get the same spec for half the price with a PC. A MBP wouldn't be out of my budget but I think i'd need to justify paying over the odds for something just because it's shiny.

Does anyone have a MBP and love it? And tell me why they bought it instead of a PC? Or even better can anyone justify why one could pay so much for one?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

If you're thinking about having to justify it, then no, there's no justification.

Let me put it this way, when I bought my current laptop, for the exact same hardware config, I paid over a thousand euro less, and got a much better warranty in the deal.

And chances are, there's free software that'll do the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Lol better customer service.

I zapped the charger port on this.

Call up technician.
    Spen an hour running through sensible diagnoistics.
    Agrees with my diagnosis.
    Sends out engineer to replace motherboard in my own home next working day.
    Also replaces speakers and webcam while he's at it.

To get a Macbook repaired, you have to bring it to an Apple authorised store, and they either repair it there, or ship it to Apple. Either way, you're without it for a good while longer, and have the pain of making what might be a long journey.

Better build quality?
    I've dropped this thing hard more times than I can count and it's still in one piece. I've carted it around carelessly in a backpack and it's fine.

And in anyways, any time I've tried OSX, it's always managed to irritate the hell out of me. What? Drag the CD to the recycle bin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

goreill2 wrote: »
    My 3yr old Dell is about to give up on me so I think it's time to make a change. I am considering getting a macbook pro. My reasons are not at all very sound - It looks cool and I want to use some of Apple's software eg Logic Pro.

However MBPs look like horrendous value for money. It seems I can get the same spec for half the price with a PC. A MBP wouldn't be out of my budget but I think i'd need to justify paying over the odds for something just because it's shiny.

Does anyone have a MBP and love it? And tell me why they bought it instead of a PC? Or even better can anyone justify why one could pay so much for one?

Cheers.

What makes you say your 3 year old Dell is about to give up the ghost?

You should be able to make it last longer than that, even a reinstall and some extra memory should make it last at least another 2 years.

I think the Dell laptops are made in the same Foxconn factory in China too.

In short no, no justification for Macbook in general except that it looks nice. In other words polish. Some people say you can't polish a turd, but Apple do some mighty shiny turds ;) In all seriousness though I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I wouldn't be keen on encouraging a company that persuades local law enforcement to ransack somebody's house and take their PC equipment to recover a prototype and any information on it either. They're are a bit too heavy handed in more than one aspect, ask some of the people who have had their apps pulled for no apparent reason.

Have to hand it to them they are a fantastic marketing company though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Well some people like the mac os, apple has good customer support ,they are well designed machines ,if you are a company you get tax rebates on pcs/laptops anyway ,if they are needed for business purposes,eg record keeping ,accounting etc
    I don,t think they are worth twice the price of a standard laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

goreill2 wrote: »

These are good questions. I have Dell laptops and an MBP and am about to buy another MBP too. MBPs are expensive (and if once you put the old AppleCare and maybe extra RAM on higher spec I5 and I7 you're looking at 2700-3000 Euros), but for Apple users usually the debate is about which Apple machine rather than a toss-up between Apple and another marque.

I have to say I do love it. I like the build quality, the OSX, the start-up time, and, I'll admit it, the design too (though I prefer the boxier case that the bevelled one that came in three years ago). Once you haven't waited 5 minutes for Windows to close down you'll appreciate it...

But they're not for everybody, so I can respect that too.

• Advertisement

My Inspiron 1750 + SSD with Ubuntu boots in 14 seconds. If it's speed you're after that's hard to beat.

I've done a bit of support work in OSX and I can't see what the fuss is about. Docks don't impress me much Shania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Resell value - They won't depreciate as fast as any other laptop and are easier to resell

Sure my 1750 cost a bit over €500 depreciation doesn't come in to it. I will be using it till it don't work any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

If your buying a macbook for reliability get a lenovo or a asus.

If your buying it for OSX - get linux :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

jpl888 wrote: »
    Sure my 1750 cost a bit over €500 depreciation doesn't come in to it. I will be using it till it don't work any more.
    when you compare it to a €2000 dell laptop it does. I got a Dell laptop for €1700 a year and a half ago and I'd only get €350 at most for it.The mac book pro is a luxury product. It like comparing a BMW to a Toyota they both do the exact same job, they get you from A to B but the BMW will cost you more because its a luxury brand.I'm just comparing these in a simplistic ideology you get the point. If its after raw power and value for money you would be better getting a Dell laptop

• Advertisement

I understand your analogy but quality makes a lot of difference in a car, comfort, ride, performance, etc, etc.

I can't understand spending that much to get something that looks nice and it's not clear what it does that is better than it's competitors.

TBH I wouldn't buy a BMW either. Doesn't look that nice (unless you are going for one of the coupes) harsh ride, and totally overpriced over here. Something with softer suspension makes more sense on Irish roads.

Advertisement