Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books that have stayed with you

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

1984 - George Orwell
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy (The most moving book Ive ever read)
    The diving bell and the butterfly - Jean Dominique Bauby
    The five people you meet in heaven - Mitch Albom
    The book of lost things - John Connolly
    Star of the Sea - Joseph O'Connor
    The Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The brothers Karamazov - Dostoevski
    Walden - Thoreau

The two that I have probably gone back to most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

cameilla13 wrote: »
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
    Interesting. I finished this last week but wasn't overly impressed. I don't know, I thought the premise should have offered a much stronger story and I found I didn't care about any of the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

The Other Hand-Chris Cleave
    Birdsong-Sebastian Faulks
    That they may face the rising sun-John McGahern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Quality wrote: »
    It has to be

The Road..

Oh I read that book when I was heavily pregnant and I remember crying and the fear in me of it!!

Also, a thousand splendid suns and Amongst Women, I still think of the father in that book with such pity.
    A thousand splendid suns broke my heart, so sad. Beautifully written.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cameilla13

Interesting. I finished this last week but wasn't overly impressed. I don't know, I thought the premise should have offered a much stronger story and I found I didn't care about any of the characters.

I think it is a love/hate book. I loved that it was subtle almost vague on details about the situation. I felt the opposite about the characters, I wanted to re-read it hoping that things would turn out different for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

The Outsider-Albert Camus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

3 by McCarthy

The Road for the same reasons as others , Child of God , and Blood Meridian, the ending in contrast to all that had gone before was truly disturbing
    in that I wasn;t spelled out as graphically chilled me to the bone

Others Catch 22, the dark tower books, and the wasp factory for it's wft at the end especially :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 coffeespoons

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy is probably the most beautiful book ever.
    I second the Book of Lost Things, lovely read.
    Wuthering Heights - I've been reading it nearly every year for the past ten year.
    The Wayward Bus - Steinbeck, definitely one of his lesser known masterpieces. I think its what Steinbeck is all about, perfectly crafted characters.
    The Life of Pi
    The Three Day Road
    The Book Thief
    I think my holiday read of choice would be The Shadow of the Wind!

Advertisement