Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat bringing mice into my room.

Options
  • 08-08-2010 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

My cat is bringing in mice into my room. I usually leave a window open for her to come and go. In the past the mice would be dispatched reasonably quickly but lately she seems to just want to collect them and leave them in my room alive always ready for her to play with and admire just like me with my classic cars.

Needless to say some family members find this activity a bit irksome. I just don't know what to do about it. This cat will make your life a misery if you don't let her out - or let her in when she wants to. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Our cat managed to drag a pigeon through her catflap. After that we put a bell on her yet the carnage continues. At this stage we've given up.

She's gone totally hannibal lector in the good weather, in the winter she rarely bring anything in.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Usually it's just a phase they go through so it's nothing to worry about. When my cat got to about two years old it was catching birds and mice left right and centre, my backyard was littered with bodies. But eventually it took maybe another year :p and she had given up on live hunting and took to chasing leaves instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 AllForOne

Its a phase they go through! I knew a cat who liked to bring stunned bats home. Once the cat left them the bats would plot their escape! The house was manic chasing bats!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's a nice gesture. She's bringing you food and showing off her hunting skills :)

Make sure you give the cat praises, don't give out to her or she'll think it's not good enough! Maybe bring the dead mice outside and show her a spot to put ''food''

Put a bell on her collar so she will have a harder time hunting? If she's lying in wait, it would be useless though! Or you can just keep her inside at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I don't think you should praise your cat for bringing home mice. I find if I give out to my cats for doing this, it puts them off doing it again for a while. I just raise my voice and flap my arms and then they usually get sick of me freaking out & take the mouse outside again and don't do it again (for a few months!:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

What time of day is this usually happening? Cats usually hunt at night when mice and other small animals are out, this is easily fixed by keeping her in overnight. Provide her with a few toys to play with to keep her happy and to keep her hunting skills at bay for a few hours.

A bell might help - but cats dont really move much once they target prey. They stay very still and make quick gliding movements till they pounce - but its no harm putting one on her anyway.

I read some where that you should try to dispose of them with out her seeing you do it. Cats train kittens to learn to hunt by bringing home mice to them - she is basically doing the same to you! She is training you to hunt. If she see's you freeing them she feels like she has failed and goes out to get another one to try train you again. Now I did only read that somewhere...but It does make a bit of sense I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mice and birds I can cope with, dead or alive.. But twice now there have been large black beetles, very much alive, in my bed.. The cats are long haired and I think the critters get in their fur..... The cats tend to sleep outside and come in with rushes, leaves etc attached.

They have stopped bringing prey in as they got roundly told off.. doesn;t mean that they are not killing of course.... ;)

Advertisement