Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Basics ???

Options
  • 08-08-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

sorry i know this is a completly noob question but we all start somewhere :o

whats the difference / advantages / disadvantages

rate of twist
    weight of bullet
    powder burn time
    etc

what are the effective ranges and uses of different calibres .22lr up to .308 and beyond

maybe someone or everyone could give some input and get some definitive answers and make it a sticky because i dont think im alone in being lost here:o and ye have all probably answered these questions before :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Davy B

There are a lot of calibres in use, far too many to try and post up ballistics info on every one in use.
    There are lots of ballistics calculators available, Hornady, Federal, Remington etc all have their own versions. These give the manufacturers specs on what calibre and projectile weight will do at various ranges.

I suggest that a good start would be to download one of them and work out what the ammo you use/want to use is supposed to be doing.
    There are calculators for almost every round in existence.
    I wouldn't worry too much about powder burn rates just yet, these are more for handloaders so unless the manufacturer tells you whats inside the cartridge it is of little consequence.
    What is of more importance is that the ammo is repeatably accurate in your firearm.

Rate of twist is covered in an earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

If you could pick up a Remington catalogue there is a mass of information on all of their ammo plus firearms. Duffy's in Galway used to have them as would any Remington supplier. It really is a huge area you're looking at.

Advertisement