Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bartlett - Ireland: A History

Options
  • 08-08-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Thomas Bartlett has recently published a new book on the history of Ireland from medieval to modern times.

Marianne Elliott has reviewed it for the Irish Times, and a copy of the review can be found here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Are you Mr. Bartlett's literary agent?

Looks interesting, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Denerick wrote: »
    Are you Mr. Bartlett's literary agent?

Ha! I wish! :pac:

He's written a lot on Early Modern Ireland, which is my area of study, but given that he's stepped out of his 'comfort zone', so to speak, with this book, I'm interested to see what it'll be like.

Didn't want to post it in the 'recommended reading' thread seeing as I've not actually read it, but thought on the off chance that somebody here has done so they might give their opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

I'm currenty reading this book & I've found it excellent so far. Obviously there are certain topics you would like more detail on, but for an overall history of the island you can't expect in depth coverage of every topic!

I do agree with the reviewers "endlessly long sentences" comment about the start of the book. There were times where I'd get to the end of a sentence & I'd have to re-read it because I'd forgotten what the first part of the sentence was ;)

But other than that minor annoyance, I'd highly recommend the book!

Advertisement