Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humpy Hundred Carlow CC 15/08/10

• 08-08-2010 5:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just saw that this is up next week. It's a great little sportive and very challenging. There's five climbs including Mt. Leinster, the route is very up and down with Mt. Leinster not being the most difficult climb of the day which goes to the Milebush which is really steep. Carlow RCC really do put on good sportives and as it's only an hour from Dublin it wouldn't be too far to go, entry is €15, showers are there afterwards AFAIK.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

One of the Carlow CC guys mentioned this to me at the Tour de Kilkenny. Said if you like climbing, you'll like this. Any route-map available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

This could be a runner as its close enough and disappointed to have missed the M.E. sportive.

Its unlikely I can get to the Orwell Randonee on the same day, its just to awkward for me as I have no motor of my own and can't be dragging people out of bed to drive me over at that early hour!

So how hard is it? Technical? Just how bad is it coming down of Mt. Leinster?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Link here for the route. The descent off Mt. Leinster is fast and narrow and you need to be careful (I personally will be dismounting) going over the two cattle grids as there's a bar missing on each but the second one you can go around. There's plenty of up and down after the food stop which is the most difficult section, the descents here are challenging. Unfortunately I won't be doing the second half as I have to go to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The descent off Mt. Leinster is fast and narrow and you need to be careful......two cattle grids as there's a bar missing on each but the second one you can go around. The descents here are challenging.

Technical descents are not be cup of tea as witnessed yesterday at a race. Might have to try and do the Orwell one so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

sorry to jump on your thread captain .

i went up the nine stones today on mt leinster half way up on the right side the co council filled a big pot hole with chippings ,its lethal .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

jwshooter wrote: »
    sorry to jump on your thread captain .

i went up the nine stones today on mt leinster half way up on the right side the co council filled a big pot hole with chippings ,its lethal .

Is that on the Corrubut gap side or the Borris side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is there a shorter flatter beginners-ish ride that runs along with the full Sportive?

carlow road club ,this sunday .any one doing it .

it will be a good run before the kelly

(Threads merged - Beasty)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Hi guys,
    Just saw that this is up next week. It's a great little sportive and very challenging. There's five climbs including Mt. Leinster, the route is very up and down with Mt. Leinster not being the most difficult climb of the day which goes to the Milebush which is really steep. Carlow RCC really do put on good sportives and as it's only an hour from Dublin it wouldn't be too far to go, entry is €15, showers are there afterwards AFAIK.

Did a quick drive of much of the route: very challenging but for climbers its a great route. One issue is the number of potholes and loose chippings throughout: especially descending. Hopefully common sense prevails and all riders go slowly and sensibly down, especially off Mt. Leinster and Mile Bush. Mile Bush by the way is the nastiest little climb Ive seen :eek:

Git101 wrote: »
    Is that on the Corrubut gap side or the Borris side?

borris side GIT101 ,left hand side on the decent

• Advertisement

what a lovely day to out on the bike ,just a pity the front wheel was pointing up so much .im f@cked .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

what a lovely day to out on the bike ,just a pity the front wheel was pointing up so much .im f@cked .

Disapointed I didn't get to go, had no way of getting up :(

you should have said ,i would have picked you up ,i looked out for you today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Fantastic weather today. Set off early with a small group.
    I've been up the Corrubut Gap before so I knew what to expect but it was my first time up the Mile Bush... What a bast@rd, nasty little climb.. I'll be back to beat the f_cker...
    Hoped to meet a few boardsies today, missed jwshooter, thought Captain Havoc would have been there but must have been too tough for him :D
    Some of the roads were a bit rough but in all fairness an interesting route.

Fantastic weather today. Set off early with a small group.
    I've been up the Corrubut Gap before so I knew what to expect but it was my first time up the Mile Bush... What a bast@rd, nasty little climb.. I'll be back to beat the f_cker...
    Hoped to meet a few boardsies today, missed jwshooter, thought Captain Havoc would have been there but must have been too tough for him :D
    Some of the roads were a bit rough but in all fairness an interesting route.

from the feed stop the next 30km was hard going ,mile bush ,im glad i gave it a bit of respect at the start . there was much talk about it at the start .so i had a gel and a hail mary just before it .

the road after the nine stones with the chippings was the only bit i did not like .

your possibly right about captain ,the pussy .:D

il be back .

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Totally agree. fell off going up corrabut,:mad:, ran out of gears near the top. 34x25 was too tough for me. better there than the unfortunates who tipped up on the way down. Not a day to take it too quickly, so many of the roads were a bit dangerous, even on a beautiful dry day. coasted home in the company of a carlow club man. they ran a good event. PS: what was the maximum percentage on Mile Bush? :confused:

thought Captain Havoc would have been there but must have been too tough for him :D
    your possibly right about captain ,the pussy .:D

Please feel free to climb aboard the Havoc Express at the Seán Kelly :)

sheepfield wrote: »
    Totally agree. fell off going up corrabut,:mad:, ran out of gears near the top. 34x25 was too tough for me. better there than the unfortunates who tipped up on the way down. Not a day to take it too quickly, so many of the roads were a bit dangerous, even on a beautiful dry day. coasted home in the company of a carlow club man. they ran a good event. PS: what was the maximum percentage on Mile Bush? :confused:

i seen u fall on the turn .the road after the 9 stones was a ring tightener ,with the chippings .i said hello on the last 30 km to u

Please feel free to climb aboard the Havoc Express at the Seán Kelly :)

i feel my chinese turning , i hope its not a bad prawn . ;)

Advertisement