Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding memory?

Options
  • 08-08-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I have two ddr2 2gb and space for 2 more. I was wondering can i add 2 more but ddr3 or do they all have to be the same and also can they be by different manufactures?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

what mobo do you have

• Registered Users Posts: 83,264 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wcp1200 wrote: »
    I have two ddr2 2gb and space for 2 more. I was wondering can i add 2 more but ddr3 or do they all have to be the same and also can they be by different manufactures?
    DDR2 and DDR3 are completely incompatible technologies: your board will support one or the other, not both.

They can be different manufacturers but the system will run at the slowest ram's speed: if you have 2 sticks of DDR2 800 and get 2 sticks of DDR2 667 all of your ram will run at 667.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wcp1200

Ya i have the p5n-d mobo so it only accepts ddr2 anyways. So whats the best 4gb of ddr2 ram i can get(not most expensive)? the dram on these are 400mhz if thats what you mean by speed.
    I plan on streaming in the future so this is why i want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,264 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

supports up to 8gb total of ddr2 @ 800mhz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Overheal wrote: »
    DDR2 and DDR3 are completely incompatible technologies: your board will support one or the other, not both.
    Unless it was one of those Gigabyte ones like mine. ;)
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Gigabyte-GA-P35C-DS3R-Motherboard-Review/476/3

(Not both at the same time obviously)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wcp1200

Ya so can i get 4 more gigs of ddr2 ram from a different manufacture or no. The ones in there are from elpida.

Advertisement