Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycling training?

• 08-08-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

i have recentley become very interested in cycling. i cycle to work two or 3 times a week. its only 6.5 miles each way n do a bit at weekends. not too much but i dont be tired after and am enjoyign it.

my main question is how do i better myself as a cyclist and hopefully/maybe enter the odd race? do i just keep cycling and is that enough to better myself or will that only increase my fitness. is there other tricks of the trade i will only know when i join a cycle club?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You don't need to join a cycle club to learn the "tricks of the trade" - just spend more time in the cycling forum!

You're doing 20km per day, 2 to 3 days a week. The way to improve your cycling is to do more, and longer spins. Extend your commutes, and build up to 4 or 5 days a week. Get out for longer spins at the weekend. Joining a club will help, as you will be able to join their spins, benefit from the experience of others, and have company on your spins. You will also learn about group riding which is important if you do want to race

Club races are typically an hour or more, and on a flat course you need to be able to go at something like 35kph in a group. This is not as daunting as it sounds, and the drafting benefits you get in a group will allow you to go much faster than on your own.

Set yourself some targets - say distance in a week, and average speed, than try and beat them. It's quite simple really, the harder you work the better you get, but there will still be plenty of tips to help you improve on boards;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

To prepare for racing you just need to increase the intensity (ideally to unpleasant levels) whilst maintaining a good base of long slow rides.

Common practice is to separate out these training efforts (short/sharp and long/slow) into separate rides to maintain your focus.

Most importantly, cycling should be fun. Try and maintain some life balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Leave for work 5-10 minutes late everyday.

You'll get fast in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

thanks for the replys lads.

i will try up the mileage and intensity n stick with it a while. i like the whole leave for work late trick!!;)

Advertisement