Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iranian teenager sentenced to death for sodomy on the basis of "judge's knowledge"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

I think it's so easy to take our rights for granted and easy to forget that freedom is just a matter of geography.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thats a disgraceful abuse of civil rights. I must say on reading that i feel fortunate. Maybe someday we can global equality and In no way should he be sentenced to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

honestly why is it so ****ed up over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

mrDerek wrote: »
    honestly why is it so ****ed up over there?
    One word: religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

When I read things like this it kind of makes me cry because I know if my father had his way that's the way our country would be run!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Its really non-news.

Bad things happen in bad places, world turns, no one really cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Bad things happen in bad places, world turns, no one really cares.

I'm pretty sure the teenager who is about to be executed cares. What a moronic comment on your part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'm pretty sure the teenager who is about to be executed cares. What a moronic comment on your part.

In the end of the day these posts reveal nothing new, nor do they achieve anything other than to satisfy some schadenfreude-like tendency in people.

As for the individual involved, well its unfortunate for him, but no more than it is for the numerous others hung, buried and stoned each year in Iran in the name of Islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

You do have a fair point there,rev hellfire.
    I bet there are hundreds of similar cases each week in all different parts of the world.
    These things happen,life isn't fair. It's harsh,but it will continue to happen in these backward societies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

Please sign the following petition to help prevent this killing from happening.

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/38289.html

This is so inhumane it's disgusting. I feel sick reading it. Please lets try and do all we can to prevent this from happening for this poor poor man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ChristopherUno

I'm afraid Hellfire is right, this type of thing happens on a huge scale every day, the majority goes unreported, and for most of what is reported it's too late to really do anything about it. And much as this petition is a move to rectify the situation, it most likely won't achieve anything, like the millions of other petitions and movements around the world for various causes. Watching mankind is like the morbid fascination of watching a car crash or a riot on repeat, there's a new thread like this every week. We in Ireland are sadly in the minority not having to suffer this type of thing on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

It just makes you feel so helpless doesn't it? I wish there was something we could do. Surely the UN should be getting involved? Excuse my ignorance if this isn't correct but some organistion to protect human rights...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's new? As citizens in a well protected environment, there's not much we can do but express disbelief at such occurrences, and how easily as products of said environment we can do so ( oh, how utterly unfortunate....). Not because I don't believe in a higher being i.e god, but I do believe in protection for all individuals from abuse and torture regardless of their religious belief ( as a vague catholic, I would always prioritize victims of injustice/abuse, regardless of their faith), i do believe that any victim, regardless of faith, persuasion, can be intervened upon by basis of international standing. Pity it doesn't happen. World we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

It's hardly non-news though..

Just because you can't change something or do anything about (something I also don't think is totally true) doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware of it.

We can't simply close our eyes to other countries and peoples plight because it's convenient to tell ourselves it's not our issue, it's wider societal issue blah blah.
    It's hardly the people born into different cultures fault for existing in it. It's also not easy to try change things yourselves without any sort of help.

Point being:
    Amnesty does great work and has proven that simply writing letters can make a difference. Sign the petition, if it does nothing well then it took 1 minute of your precious time. If it does something then it'll be more than worth it.

I don't think there is no point posting about stuff like that though. It's important to remind ourselves we're living in a bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Eebs wrote: »
    It's hardly non-news though..

Just because you can't change something or do anything about (something I also don't think is totally true) doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware of it.

We can't simply close our eyes to other countries and peoples plight because it's convenient to tell ourselves it's not our issue, it's wider societal issue blah blah.
    It's hardly the people born into different cultures fault for existing in it. It's also not easy to try change things yourselves without any sort of help.

Point being:
    Amnesty does great work and has proven that simply writing letters can make a difference. Sign the petition, if it does nothing well then it took 1 minute of your precious time. If it does something then it'll be more than worth it.

I don't think there is no point posting about stuff like that though. It's important to remind ourselves we're living in a bubble.

Thanks Eebs - I think Rev Hellfires attitude of apathy would mean nothing would ever change in the world - I for one prefer to have hope that any action no matter small can change things in the world e.g. Dunnes Stores strikers did have some impact on Apartheid - If we accepted RHs apathy then we would still probably be saying "oh isn't it awful what is happening in South Africa"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement