Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeep Grand Cherokee...any genuine experience?

Options
  • 08-08-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hey all..
    Am thinking of buying a jeep grand cherokee 3.1 TD. It's been converted to a commercial, looks fairly tidy. I must point out, i don't want it for work, strictly for personal use. I do a bit of fishing, that's about all the work it will get.
    Questions for threaders....are they any good?
    Fuel consumption? Surely a bit better without the weight of the leather clad two back rows of seats?
    Are they prone to problems?

I did google for reviews etc, but they all seem from auto websites, and would find it hard to trust their opinion. Would like to hear from an irish owner's experience..

Thanks....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

hmm..why do you need a jeep? the name even sounds like a heap of sh*te.

nothing but bother, had one..sold it after 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

did you buy the Grand Cherokee diesel ?

They are a fine machine if looked after and a real JEEP unlike other 4x4's
    But you get a lot of unqualified comments from those that don't know or even driven one.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I had one in london when i lived there never had a problem with it great to drive and in bad road conditions ect the one i had was a 1999 model,it looked good back then too.

I have 2001 GC 3.1 TD its a nice Jeep
    with all the extras plus it handles great on off road.
    love the quadra trac if I was buying another I go for 2.7 CRD more power and better MPG plus I would like quadra drive for LSD front and rear.

I think its a very under rated Jeep often over looked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Fine until it breaks down. Most Jeep parts are main dealer only, have long lead times and are very expensive.

Buy something else would be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Three lads at work had them two years ago. None left now. They didn't like them. Not sure why.
    Another place i worked had one with 40k on the clock. Anyone and everyone driving them. Spent a lot of time in the workshop. They dont like abuse.

My best advice, buy a 3.1 trooper( or a landcruiser). Small bit older but bullitproof , and something you will be able to sell in the morning if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Fishtits wrote: »
    Fine until it breaks down. Most Jeep parts are main dealer only, have long lead times and are very expensive.

Buy something else would be my advice.

+1 on this. been there and never again

I buy most parts from the states much cheaper to have it shipped over than bought here but it does take a while to ship.

I've not bough much locally except a brake peddle rubber
    at 9 euro its much cheaper than the Renault car I have that any time it when into get serviced and work done took over a week and when turbo blew it took two weeks at main Renault dealer in Dublin.

Have taking up servicing my own vehicles now to ensure its done correctly. I notice most garages just do the min of work for as much they can get away with. hoping you'll return soon for another repair lol...

Like the land cruiser but the not the trooper

Advertisement