Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quit job because of Health reasons ?

• 08-08-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hi i don't know if its the right place for this post if not please bear with me i have a question regarding my father He is diabetic and has to take insulin twice a day from lat decade, He has been working in a meat factory as a skilled boner from last 10 years but his health is deteriorating he is not able to keep up the same work any more he has almost fainted at work several times he is 52 years old and in this economic situations its impossible for him to find another job i would very much appreciate if any one can point out any options for him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Disability allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I am diabetic taking insulin twice a day. He shouldn't be fainting if he is eating properly and at regular intervals.

Would it be more the case that the work itself is very physical and he is no longer able to do it?

Well-mananaged diabetes shouldn't interfere with your job. I'm not really of the view that your father should go on disability just yet. Though I agree, the Dept. of Social Welfare would need more details so I can't comment on this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

If your father has been insurably employed for that length he will be entitled to disability benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

mrsbouquet wrote: »
    If your father has been insurably employed for that length he will be entitled to disability benefit.
    I don't consider myself disabled, see my earlier post. I'm just going to comment on how I view things, so I don't presume to comment on how the OP's father perceives whether or not he is disabled.

In my case, I certainly wouldn't be claiming disability benefit or allowance. I thought that was only for people who genuinely weren't able to work because of poor health.

If you manage your diabetes properly you are perfectly capable of employment, that's just my opinion. I do realise that the OP's father's case might be different to mine. There might be genuine circumstances where he physically couldn't do this job, but he might be more suited to other work.

Advertisement