Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drama / Performing Arts schools (full-time education)

• 08-08-2010 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello. I wish to move to Ireland(from Denmark) to study and i would like to study at a Drama/Theatre/Performing Arts school(i didn't know which is the right name for it) like for becoming an actor and stuff like that. But i have no idea where to search i have found some schools but most of them are like evening classes or one-day-a-week courses which is not what i'm looking for. I have some family in Westmeath county and i wish that the school wouldn't be way too far from there...
    so what i'm asking you is some help finding those schools, preferably the free ones(i found some schools that ask like 5000 euro for a course which is outrageous!)... Thanks for all your help

Kind regards,
    A.D

p.s. I'm 18.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

If you seriously want to become an actor, you need to attend one of the Dublin drama schools. These schools are at least an hour's commute from Westmeath. And they are not free.

I have a friend who works in Theatre in Copenhagen. She says that the actor training there is fabulous. Why not study at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tenshis

Hey thanks for your answer :)
    The reason i am not studying here in Copenhagen is that i want to see something else i'm kinda tired of this place...
    The second thing about Dublin Drama Schools is that my friend told me about this level thing in Ireland and i understood that i need to get lvl 5 or 6 like the lowest education diploma or something like that before i can go to the more advanced schools... i dunno if what i'm saying makes sense, cause i have no idea about the Irish learning system... so i was looking at schools like Bray Institute of Further Education i found this foundation year thing that i'm guessing could be a good start...
    http://www.bife.ie/PLC%20Courses/pages/PerformingArtsActingFoundationYear.aspx
    i'm gonna write a letter to the school and see if i can get more info.. but so far it is the closest school to where my family lives even tho it's still a bit far away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 clesherz

I am from Ireland and have spent my life dreaming of doing theatre but the reality is there is nothing in Ireland that will give you the training you need for the real thing. I can assure you that 90% of Irish theatre heads try to go to England, London preferably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tenshis

Hey, clesherz, thanks for your reply.
    I am aware that i won't become a hollywood actor after finishing a school, but what i need is just a basic education, a place to start.. i can't stay in denmark much longer and the only place i can go to right now is Ireland because of the family i have there.. I don't really have any money or anything so i need to start at the bottom and i guess i'll slowly move up the stepping-stones to greatness hehe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dzerzhinsky

There are a couple of 'free' courses that would be of international standard 3 year. DIT have one though since it became an honours degree it has probably become more academic. DkIT's ordinary degree is still a traditional 3 year training. The trick is to see how much filler is in the course and whether they audition. If they contain business or communications modules then run a mile. I would even be wary of ones that include stage management

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Delphic

Try the new dramatic art academy that's just announced its first call for students. It's called The Lir and will be based in TCD and it opens next year - www.thelir.ie

Advertisement