Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Crouchigol back to Liverpool, anyone heard anything?

Options
  • 08-08-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Its been rumbling away for a few days, this evening twitter is full of it I said IT :p

Dunno what to think as a LFC supporter....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Well Harry said he'd definitely be here september 1st but he said ther was no way keen was going to Celtic last January as well I wouldn't mind if he went though he encourages route 1 football too much and he always gives away frees when trying to header the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Do we really want to get rid of him? At least with Crouch, you know what you get .. 12-15 goals a season with a proven record in the prem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I don't think he scores enough goals to be a starter for us, though he is definitely an option from the bench and I can't recall him ever moaning about not getting his game. My ideal partnership from what we have would be Pav with either Defoe or Keane, whichever is on form. If we could get an upgrade on Crouch then let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

We cant sell Crouch! Every team needs a player like him and unlike most big players he's also very good with his feet. Harry will regret it if he sells him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

Cheerio Crouchie!

I really don't think this would have a negative impact on the squad.
    Especially going forward in Europe next season (if, if we qualify), what will Crouch bring to the table to enhance the team and improve our chances of progressing beyond last seasons achievements?

Not a whole lot I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 crowsnestspur

in harry we trust! we have to trust harry, he has done the right thing this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Not a disaster, I like the guy although not a starter and deserves a high five for feeking such a deadly young one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭daveman16

THFC wrote: »
    We cant sell Crouch! Every team needs a player like him and unlike most big players he's also very good with his feet. Harry will regret it if he sells him.

I'm with you. we need a big man like Crouch, it gives us other options

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If we've better coming in to replace him then fair play.

Still think he's under-rated by too many, and deserves credit for the goal that earned us our tie vs Young Boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

If we've better coming in to replace him then fair play.

Still think he's under-rated by too many, and deserves credit for the goal that earned us our tie vs Young Boys.

I'd agree with that. Was never a fan of crouch but he has done a job for us and unless better is coming in I would keep him. We are going to be streched squad wise this year if we complete well in all comps and will need his likes around.

On the offical site Joe Jordan has come out and stated he expects Crouchy to be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Crouch is excellent to have as a squad player, he's a totally different option. he should never start however.

Its defoe we should be getting rid of, I don't remember a more over rated Tottenham striker in my lifetime? We should have cashed in this summer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

golfball37 wrote: »
    Crouch is excellent to have as a squad player, he's a totally different option. he should never start however.

Its defoe we should be getting rid of, I don't remember a more over rated Tottenham striker in my lifetime? We should have cashed in this summer imo.
    Hmmm, I dunno... I've a mixed mind when it comes to Defoe. I think he's very good and all that but I also think he may of peaked last year. Never know though, Harry seems to be able to get the best out of everyone. Would only sell him for min €20 million anyways and I dont think any club would have paid that for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I am not a fan of crouchie one bit and would love to see him sold. Really dont rate him as a footballer at all.

However as someone pointed out hes never moaned about not being played. If he was to be sold then he would need to be replaced buy a top quality striker who can do it in the CL. And if that happened then i could see Pav wanting a move in January.

Not sure if all that change would be good for the team at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

The problem as I see it is none of the four strikers will score consistently over the whole season.

Each one of them is capable of scoring 15-20 goals a season but none are capable of putting away 30 in PL

Also, of the 15-20 theymight score each, most of these will come during a 'hot streak' .i.e. 10 goals in the first 12 games or something like that and then the other 5-6 will be scored over the next 15-20 games.. which lets face it isn't good enough.

So its all about Harry getting the selection right and hoping they can score 50+ goals between the 4 of them over the 38 PL games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Harry says the big lad is staying anyway,
    Link: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6310298,00.html
    Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has scoffed at reports suggesting he could be prepared to offload Peter Crouch.
    The England international has been linked with a move to Sunderland of late, while speculation has also suggested Liverpool as a possible destination.
    However Redknapp insists there is no chance of him allowing the towering frontman to leave White Hart Lane.
    "Not a chance. He is not for sale. He is not going anywhere," said the Spurs boss.
    "I am a big fan of Peter's. I brought him to the club and I have no interest in letting him go."
    Rather than depleting his attacking options, Redknapp is still keen to enhance them before the summer transfer window slams shut.
    He continues to keep close tabs on Nice's highly-rated France international Loic Remy, while Craig Bellamy remains a long-standing target.
    Redknapp admits he would be more than happy to offer the much-travelled striker regular football at Tottenham, but accepts that City are unlikely to let Bellamy join one of their top four rivals.
    "I think we tried to get him but they don't want to let him go, and if they don't want to let him go to Tottenham or anywhere else, that is up to them," said Redknapp.
    "If he is out of their 25-man squad, it means he can't play until Christmas. It looks almost certain he will go. He has got to play football. That is ridiculous really.
    "If he is not in their squad they are not going to want him around. Be honest, you wouldn't want Craig Bellamy sitting around, coming into the dressing room every day when he is not happy.
    "He is an outstanding player and if he is available he would certainly be of interest to us."

Crouch gives us a different option to all the other strikers. I hope he stays and even if we sign a Huntelaar/Fabiano/Remy I'd rather keep Crouch and see Keane or Pav leave before him. He shouldn't be a regular starter, but he is a good option off the bench and he is good enough to step into the starting XI when others are out/rested. He also seems happy enough to be a semi-regular starter, which for a player of his quality is a major plus.

Advertisement