Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Offer's

Options
  • 08-08-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey Guy's

Just wondering bout the CAO seeing as I havint applied in 3 years.

I have two years done in L.I.T an had a year out last year. I have applied for a course in L.I.T (Computer Networks and System Management) this year aswell as a Course in Galway (Computer Science and Information Technology)

Now i put the course in L.I.T at the top, now i have changed my mind an realy want to go to Galway. Galway is my 2nd choice. If i get offered my 1st choice and i dont want it can i reapply in the second rounds offer or do i have to wait until someone else doesnt want the course and then it is offered to me?

I'm realy confused, because i realy realy wanna get to go to galway. If I don't it means i have to go to work in England for the year. And i would rather not have to!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Dan , the CAO rule is that you can go up but not down so if you get your 1st preference then there is no chance you will get your 2nd preference. If however you get your 2nd preference and accept it and in a later round get your 1st preference you can stick with your 2nd preference acceptance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

Dan , the CAO rule is that you can go up but not down so if you get your 1st preference then there is no chance you will get your 2nd preference. If however you get your 2nd preference and accept it and in a later round get your 1st preference you can stick with your 2nd preference acceptance.

so if i get my 1st preference and decline it, is it possible that i will be offered my second because of doing that? or do ihave to apply again before the end of september?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

No - the first line of my reply says it all - the CAO rule is that you can go up but not down so if you get your 1st preference then there is no chance you will get your 2nd preference.

At the outset you will be offered the highest preference you are entitled to and everything else udnerneath that offer is then taken off your list for possible offers. You can only go up not down regardless of what you do with the offer. That's why the CAO leave it til 1 July for you to make up your mind on what you really want. Applications for next year will open again in late autumn.

Best thing I would advise is if the courses are in the same area is to contact Galway and see if they will take you into your 2nd preference based on what you have done in LIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

So if I dont get Galway through the CAO my best bet is to try and get in directly by talking to the Head of Department in Galway. Just by applying with my history in L.I.T.

Advertisement