Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about college

Options
  • 08-08-2010 8:56pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

Most of friends are talking about how excited they are about college, and while I am excited, I am also worried about college.

I plan to go to UCD in September, doing DN020 Actuarial Finance. However, none of my friends are going to UCD, so I am worried about going on my own and knowing nobody.

Also, I am number 1724 out of 747 on the waiting/priority list for on-campus accomodation so there is no chance of me getting on-campus. My parents are angry with me for not applying sooner but I honestly thought that you didn't apply for accomodation until you accepted your place! Is it strictly first-come first-served, or do they provide accomodation based on points, or location?
    As I won't be getting on-campus (probably) I will have to search for accomodation nearby, which will be difficult as I live in Dundalk and I don't want to end up too far away, nevermind the fact that I don't have any friends going with me to share with!

Also I'm worried about having to cook for myself, and do all the other things which I am not used to doing that accompany living away from home for the first time.

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this. Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to college there are just aspects of it that slightly scare me! I'm sure it'll be better than I think. I actually feel better having just typed this out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Also I'm worried about having to cook for myself, and do all the other things which I am not used to doing that accompany living away from home for the first time.

Pasta, live on that ****.
    Will save you tons of money, thank me later.

Also just join societies and show up to events, if the societies in UCD are half as good as the ones in DCU you'll get to know tons of people that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Hi guys

Most of friends are talking about how excited they are about college, and while I am excited, I am also worried about college.

I plan to go to UCD in September, doing DN020 Actuarial Finance. However, none of my friends are going to UCD, so I am worried about going on my own and knowing nobody.
    I did this, A few of my friends weren't going to college and the rest were in other counties, I was $hitting bricks the first day, So nervous knew no one etc, and although I chatted to a few people during lectures I didn't spark any amazing friendships, Then the next day in the first lecture, I noticed a lot of people sitting alone and assumed it was down to them not knowing anyone. So I decided I may as well sit next to one of them in the next lecture and did, Chances are that person will feel the same as you and be nervous, and will welcome a conversation, Even just a hi can spark off a chat, Get to know that person. From there, I just started chatting to others about course work and got to know everyone.

Just remember you're not the only one, People will talk to you, and even if they don't seem to want to talk to you, don't give up. You will make new friends and chances are they'll be some of your best friends by the end of first year.
    Also, I am number 1724 out of 747 on the waiting/priority list for on-campus accomodation so there is no chance of me getting on-campus. My parents are angry with me for not applying sooner but I honestly thought that you didn't apply for accomodation until you accepted your place! Is it strictly first-come first-served, or do they provide accomodation based on points, or location?

I can't comment on this, But not living on campus isn't a bad thing if you're not a party animal, Campus accommodation can get noisy and fire alarms going off can be annoying. If you are though then you'll enjoy it, Keep your fingers crossed but have a back up!
    As I won't be getting on-campus (probably) I will have to search for accomodation nearby, which will be difficult as I live in Dundalk and I don't want to end up too far away, nevermind the fact that I don't have any friends going with me to share with!

There's usually a lot of people looking for one or two room mates in a small house, and although they might be second years or first years in a different course it's always nice to get to know some people outside of your course.
    If I were you, ask your mum just to show you how to cook a few simple things. I meant to do this and never got round to it... And although I've cooked and eaten undercooked chicken I didn't get food poisoning so you should be fine if you just know the basics :pac:
    Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this. Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to college there are just aspects of it that slightly scare me! I'm sure it'll be better than I think. I actually feel better having just typed this out!
    You're not the only one anyway, there's lot more who either aren't on boards or don't tell anyone and they'll get on just fine too.

It's not as bad as it seems, and going to a new place with out friends means any embarrassing stories and nicknames won't be told! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Hi guys

Don't worry about it, everyone kinda goes through the "Oh ****" phase. You will make friends just by talking to people in lectures and tutorials or alternately try societies and clubs. UCD is pretty good in that regard.

From what I know it's mainly on distance but a lot of the people who've applied may not get it. If food is also a concern why not look into digs instead? Might seem a little more like home too which may help a little.

We had a thread like this last year when most of us started.:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate the helpful advice!

I am seriously considering digs, but wondering will they take away some of the freedom of college (which I am looking forward to!). What I mean is, in digs you have to be home at a certain time, and can't go out at night too late or anything, as it is somebody else's home! Maybe I'm wrong, though?

I am seriously considering digs, but wondering will they take away some of the freedom of college (which I am looking forward to!). What I mean is, in digs you have to be home at a certain time, and can't go out at night too late or anything, as it is somebody else's home! Maybe I'm wrong, though?

It would really depend on the household to be honest. I knew two people who'd polar opposites as far as households went. One had the luxury of living in hotel like conditions where they could request meals and the like, the other had to deal with whatever house rules were in place, just like the gaelteacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Everyone who starts college is gonna be at least some what nervous- its a massive change!

But I'm resting confident that everyone is in the same boat so people will say hello and so on, thats all I'm worried about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ilovelove

well done on saying this. Dont be so hard on yourself,its a worrying part of everyones life when they go to college.

Firstly, congrats on you're leaving cert im sure you're worried about that too but its done now!!

When you go to college it will take adjusting to, everything is different, the people, the lifestyle, you will adjust fine and its great craic. Dont be worried about going alone, the saying "you make you're friends in college" didnt come out of no where, you will make friends and you will keep the friends you already have, its new chapter so embrace it.

I dont know much about accomodation but I know there was a thread on here not so long ago about people getting rooms for Mon-fri? maybe have a look for somthing like that?? but definately if you can get the on campus accomodation do, you will meet so many people in the same boat as you. and if you dont get it sure feck it you'll adjust to somthing else.

I amn't really giving you much help here but just to say that college is great so enjoy it and dont be afraid.

DAFT.ie is the best if you are looking to rent a room somewhere, really good website and easy to use, everyone I know uses it!

Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I knew one person in actuarial this year, and she said the class is pretty close knit (unlike arts. Grr) so DON'T WORRY! You'll be perfectly fine. If you were in arts or science I'd probably have more to say, but you seriously will be fine. Don't waste your time worrying.

I didn't apply for on campus til I accepted my CAO offer o.O Mebbe it changed? Either way places opened up throughout September and October last year, and I bet half the people who applied did so pre-emptively, and may end up elsewhere come the end of August. Getting on campus would really help, and sometimes a phone call to the campus accommodation services from a 'worried parent' can help move you up the list...just sayin. I have friends who did this.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

You will look back on this as probably the most exciting time of your life, so try not to be too uptight. But being a bit worried is natural

Re friends---- There will be a lot of queuing the first few days for various things. Talk to people near you in the queues. Guy I know who came to UCD on his own swears by this. In the first few days everyone is searching for mates

You will hear a lot about cliques, gangs and so on in UCD. This is no doubt true but UCD is full of very open, friendly people too.

Cooking. Keep it simple and cheap. Fry some peppers and chicken strips and make fajitas. Or fry onion, mince beef, peppers, garlic, throw on pinch of chile powder and tin tomato puree. Eat with rice or pasta. If you are starving and stuck, cook pot of pasta, strain it, and squeeze a little lemon over it and grate some cheese on top, or add a carton of cream and some fried mushroom.

You seem very independent already, and your parents are letting you sink or swim. There are some Dublin students living at home whose Mammies are making their beds and cooking for them, and driving them everywhere. One Mammy I know did all her son's registration online because he could not understand the elective or option system, or something

So naturally you are nervous because you are taking a first step into adulthood. But think how much more you will have learned at the end of it all, than the Mammies pets who never made a pot of tea in their lives.

It will be great. Enjoy it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I envy you Mr. Timbuk2. You are going the full expierence of college life. It's good it will pay off in the long run you'll to cook and have a budget.

I'd love to move out but, theres apart of me that can't justify paying rent when I live 20 minutes away from DCU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

creggy wrote: »
    I'd love to move out but, theres apart of me that can't justify paying rent when I live 20 minutes away from DCU.

Sleep on my floor tbh, as long as I have a clear path from bed to laptop to computer labs I'm grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

this year UCD changed their on campus policy so a lot of it is gone,they may still do it by location as they used to for those on the list.

One huge tip is do as much of it yourself as you can,it makes great banter[being confused about electives is the ultimate talking point in first year] and talk to EVERYONE, one of my best friends is someone I have no reason to know.I said hi the morning of registration because she was standing near the table, BFF's foreverz :rolleyes:

As for friends,IMO your better off not knowing anyone,I didn't [It might freak you out in the first week,but you'll be better off in the long run] as a lot of those that know someone tend to stick in groups and not get to know as many people.

Food wise;let's face it your a student,you're going to live on a sh*t diet for at least a while,don't worry about it.Just keep your belly full and you'll be graaaand [also,the more you can steal from home, the less you have to buy in college ;)]

if you want digs,go for them.I know a few people that lived in them and they just crashed with other people when they were out[student residence is more like a hippy commune when your drunk]

As long as you're not in Arts or general Science,you'll meet people in your course handy enough.

If you're stuck or just need someone to scream at,I'll practically be living in the fresher's tent/around campus for the first month.So gimme a shout.
    And you'll get to meet boards people anyway[there'll be a UCD beers in september I think]
    C&Hers in UCD:
    Moi
    kateos2
    Extrasupervery
    SarcasticFairy
    Fad
    Kevs_88
    Conorstuff
    The elusive Davidius[a prize if you can bring me a picture of him:pac:]
    and I may have forgotten others.

There's a few people hoping to come here as well.You can't not get to know someone now.

Don't feel scared or guilty for feeling like this everyone has a freak out in the early stage of college,just don't over think it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Hi guys

For either college I attended, I didn't know anyone there - and I think it worked out better for me. It's so much easier to make yourself go and try to make new friends when you don't have any cushions! :)

As well as that, from what I can see on the qualifax site the intake is roughly 40. Perfect size of a class, I can tell you that from experience. My class is about that size and we all get on so well! It's just the right size that you'll almost certainly make at least one or two friends that share your interests! And of course there's so many clubs and societies in UCD that you're bound to find a few that'll interest you. Again, more friends! \o/ And there's always UCD beers with that lot if you're stuck.. :pac:

I wouldn't be so sure you definitely won't get in. You have to remember two things:

1. Not everyone who has applied will get enough points for their chosen course in UCD.
    2. There'll be others that will get offered a higher choice in another college.

So that could be a LOT of people. Don't lose hope yet. In the meantime, if I were you, I'd have a glance at house-shares on daft. Ideally, you'd be looking in the Dublin 4/Ranelagh/Clonskeagh/other close areas if possible. If you need a hand with the site, give me a shout. This'll be my fourth year sorting out my own accommodation so I'm used to knowing what sucks and what doesn't! :pac:

As Pygmalion said, pasta is a godsend. As well as that, and I can't stress this one enough... Stir fries! They're delicious, easy to make and quite healthy too (well, they can be!). Look up some simple recipes and stick to them. :) Spaghetti bolognese is also easy, swears. There's a recipes thread lurking around this forum too which is full of delicious and fairly simple things to make!

Ah sure, where else would you put it?! There's loads of people in the same boat as you, and a lot of the rest of us have been through it so we can help too.

It's grand to be scared, and it'll almost certainly be better than you think. You'll get used to living away from home in no time. :)

If you want any help at all, I'm usually lurking around so do drop me a PM. And good luck with the course. It may not be pure maths, but I'm sure us maths-y types will welcome you with open arms. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Hi guys

I wouldn't worry about knowing nobody! I didn't really know anyone going into my class last year and made loads of really great friends throughout the year, just from having the chats during/before/after lectures, librarying it up and, importantly, going on class nights out. Try not to miss those if they're being organised- great way to get to know people!

I started in UCD last year (I moved to Trinity after 3rd round CAO offers, so I was literally only there for a week or somethin').
    I was told I was living too close to get campus.... despite the fact that I live THREE HOURS AWAY. I got very mad about that, seeing as people I went to school with, just minutes down the road from me, got it no bother just because their address was in Waterford and mine was not. GAH.
    Also, apparently, boys are more likely to get offered it as they like to keep the boy:girl ratio quite even and more girls apply. Or somethin' like that. I remember being told.

Eventually I got it after a few emails and phonecalls. (Then I moved out days after so someone else would've got my place..)
    As I recall, one of the guys I shared my flat with was from Dundalk so I doubt it'll be impossible.

If not, you'll find a house to share with people through daft or something. Everyone does!

You'll get used to cooking for yourself... it's not too hard really! There's lots of easy easy things you can cook for yourself on the cheap which aren't disgracefully unhealthy. And there's always cereal and noodles to fall back on.

(Load up on carbs, get your nutrition from Berocca...)

Anyway. Don't worry. I'm sure you'll love college! Everyone gets a bit scared I reckon. I know I did anyway, but I had an awesome year when I settled in!

Best'a luck, hope you get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

creggy wrote: »

I am in a similar boat. I live so close to UCD and i am not paying rent to move 10 minutes down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I'm worried too.... scared a bit ! If I get the course I want I will be moving to Dub and I havent even looked at houses or anything cause I dont think I'l get that course( won't be able to afford student accom for RCSI ) , but I'm not too worried If I go there cause I have friends going there and already in college there. My second choice is nursing in UL snd I'm just worried my roomies wont like me / wont make friends/ wont be able to cook ! I have a few friends there already but no-one I would hang around with really a lot. My other friends think I'l be okay going to UL cause these other people are in UL but I'm just so worried that no-one will want to be my friend !(I sound like such a child!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm worried too.... scared a bit ! If I get the course I want I will be moving to Dub and I havent even looked at houses or anything cause I dont think I'l get that course( won't be able to afford student accom for RCSI ) , but I'm not too worried If I go there cause I have friends going there and already in college there. My second choice is nursing in UL snd I'm just worried my roomies wont like me / wont make friends/ wont be able to cook ! I have a few friends there already but no-one I would hang around with really a lot. My other friends think I'l be okay going to UL cause these other people are in UL but I'm just so worried that no-one will want to be my friend !(I sound like such a child!)

The great thing about college is that you'll meet loads of like-minded people in your class or just around college in general.
    Fo'sho!

Also, UL's HUGE and it's lovely and everyone's scattered around campus which is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You seem very independent already, and your parents are letting you sink or swim. There are some Dublin students living at home whose Mammies are making their beds and cooking for them, and driving them everywhere. One Mammy I know did all her son's registration online because he could not understand the elective or option system, or something

So naturally you are nervous because you are taking a first step into adulthood. But think how much more you will have learned at the end of it all, than the Mammies pets who never made a pot of tea in their lives.

Obviously all Dublin students live at home by choice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If you end up going to UL I'll make friends with you :D

(hopes that does not sound stalkerish)

Hey Timbuk.

Regarding the friends thing, you'll put into peer mentor groups in orientation week and that's where I met some of my greatest friends.

And look, I do mathematical science so I've actually done half of your classes already PLUS one of the guys on my course transferred to actuarial science so I can introduce you to him if you've any questions about your course.

We folk from de Town gotta look out for each other :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Once I find out where I'm going (either Trinity or UCD), I'll be here begging for friends.
    Be warned. :p
    Oh god, the thought of college. I'm fully prepared for it to suck for a while but it's so scary. Can't help but think I won't make friends despite how many people I talk to, and if commuting doesn't kill me, college itself will. :/ Scary times.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

If you end up going to UL I'll make friends with you :D

(hopes that does not sound stalkerish)

Noo thats great :D Excited now ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I don't know anything about accommodation cos there's no point in me moving out of home when I live 30mins from college.

However, like Aoibheann, I've started college twice and in both places I didn't know a soul. It's the best way to do it. Anyone I know who started college with a group of friends has stuck with that group and never really managed to make new friends.

Your course will be nice and small too which will be so helpful in getting to know everyone. Do try to talk to people, join socs, go on fresher nights out. Even if you never see any of those people again it's great craic.

Don't worry about not being able to cook, you'll pick it up! You can get all sorts fromthe cooking forum on here and I've seen student cookbooks in easons too which looked pretty awesome.

Go to UCD beers too, tbh come to the TCD beers too, half the other UCD folk do! :)

Once I find out where I'm going (either Trinity or UCD), I'll be here begging for friends.
    Be warned. :p
    Oh god, the thought of college. I'm fully prepared for it to suck for a while but it's so scary. Can't help but think I won't make friends despite how many people I talk to, and if commuting doesn't kill me, college itself will. :/ Scary times.

Like I said to Timbuk2, we Dundalk people will look out for each other. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

fonpokno wrote: »
    Go to UCD beers too, tbh come to the TCD beers too, half the other UCD folk do! :)

Yes! This! Come to TCD beers, they're a great laugh. You'll have Fad, Extrasupervery and SarcasticFairy for UCD company at the least!

Also, fonpokno! *You* come to beers too. We'll arrange them for more suitable weekdays (or weekends, when you don't have horrifically early mornings D: )!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Digs an be heaven or hell, depends who you live with. IMO have a good look around the place and dont take anything if you think its dodgy. I had a year to regret taking a certain place in Sandymount.

Campus is allocated on the basis of location. So if you know anyone who lives over the west or the south, just put their address on the form, cheating i know, but it will make your life SO much easier.

Try and get your own place, definately somewhere along a direct bus route, I lived in Drumcondra for a year and everyone thought i was MAD living so far away, but the accommodation was better quality and cheaper than anything else i saw, was walking distance from the centre and I could see the number 3 or no.11b bus coming down the road so no walking to college, no waiting for a connecting bus or any other inconveniences.

Dont worry about cooking or living by yourself, no matter what the important thing is to make sure you get in with other students who have the same priorities as you and youll have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Yes! This! Come to TCD beers, they're a great laugh. You'll have Fad, Extrasupervery and SarcasticFairy for UCD company at the least!

Also, fonpokno! *You* come to beers too. We'll arrange them for more suitable weekdays (or weekends, when you don't have horrifically early mornings D: )!

Yes ma'am, I'm back to college in 21 days exactly. Majorly depressing but I'll try to be more social this year. :) College will not beat ME.

fonpokno wrote: »
    Yes ma'am, I'm back to college in 21 days exactly. Majorly depressing but I'll try to be more social this year. :) College will not beat ME.

You blanked me in the Buttery ;_;
    /holds grudge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Fact: Boards is a good social circle to have in college. Just throwing it out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

A tip though: If you feel like you're going to fail an exam, but could in theory pass if you do some srs crammage, do not instigate a sort of impromptu boards beers in TCD and get locked.......

Silly silly Fad.......

Advertisement