Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about college

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Don't worry about not having your friends there. Actually, I have a few friends going to UCD and I'm gonna avoid them like the plague. I'm gonna meet new people, rather than sticking to old friends and forming a tight group, which I hate doing. Honestly, don't worry about friends. You'll have no problem meeting new ones.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for all the answers, I seriously appreciate them!

Now one of my biggest worries is still accomodation. I still don't think I'm getting UCD accomodation (on-campus) and I won't know for definite until 31st of August at 4pm (they make offers on the 25, 26, 27, 30 and 31st August at 4 p.m.) - which is a bit too late to wait for as it will be hard to find suitable off-campus accomodation.

Even now some of the off-campus accomodation is being taken by 2nd/3rd/4th year students who know they have a place this September. I am searching for accomodation but I won't know until Monday 23rd if I'll even get my first choice. If I get my second choice, Actuary in DCU I'll still be delighted, but I don't want to put any deposits on anything until I know I'm going to UCD - and it could be gone if I wait!

Also, there are 100s of accomodations but many of them are quite far away. I would love somewhere that I could walk, but still have the option of a bus if it's raining.

It would be a lot easier if I knew somebody that was going to UCD, only a few of my friends are going, and none of them think they will get the points for their courses so I'm not sure it's worth my while getting accomodation to share if they might not get in!

I have a twin brother hoping to do primary teaching, and his first three choices are St. Pats, Marino and Froebel respectively - it would be convenient if I got UCD and he got Froebel, we could share a flat/apartment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

N'aaaawwwwh <3

Try ringing the campus accomm people (or get mommy to) and plead your case. It's worth a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

**Timbuk2**: Incoming first year, UCD, Dundalk - bffs?:D

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Thanks for all the answers, I seriously appreciate them!

Now one of my biggest worries is still accomodation. I still don't think I'm getting UCD accomodation (on-campus) and I won't know for definite until 31st of August at 4pm (they make offers on the 25, 26, 27, 30 and 31st August at 4 p.m.) - which is a bit too late to wait for as it will be hard to find suitable off-campus accomodation.

Even now some of the off-campus accomodation is being taken by 2nd/3rd/4th year students who know they have a place this September. I am searching for accomodation but I won't know until Monday 23rd if I'll even get my first choice. If I get my second choice, Actuary in DCU I'll still be delighted, but I don't want to put any deposits on anything until I know I'm going to UCD - and it could be gone if I wait!

Can you put your name down for other student accomodations apart from the on campus one? If you're so far down the list, well then chances are theres other 1st years in the same boat that will have to go off campus? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Can you put your name down for other student accomodations apart from the on campus one? If you're so far down the list, well then chances are theres other 1st years in the same boat that will have to go off campus? :)

I'm not sure. I contacted UCD Residences and they said to look at www.daft.ie and www.findahome.ie for digs/residences, but most of those require deposits, which I don't really want to give until I know that I have my place in UCD, and I won't know until the morning of August 23rd, which gives me about 2 weeks to sort out accomodation.

I'm not sure. I contacted UCD Residences and they said to look at www.daft.ie and www.findahome.ie for digs/residences, but most of those require deposits, which I don't really want to give until I know that I have my place in UCD, and I won't know until the morning of August 23rd, which gives me about 2 weeks to sort out accomodation.

Are there any other student villages/accomodations apart from the actual on campus ones though? :eek: I know nothing about UCD :P but going by Galway, theres the main 1st year one and then theres about 4 other accomodations for 1st/2nd/3rd years...

What about this?

Or this thread in the UCD forum :)

Are there any other student villages/accomodations apart from the actual on campus ones though? :eek: I know nothing about UCD :P but going by Galway, theres the main 1st year one and then theres about 4 other accomodations for 1st/2nd/3rd years...

Not that I am aware of - they have off-campus accomodation called Muckross Park, which is run by UCD, but you still apply for that in the usual way as if it was on-campus.

The annoying thing is this 'priority list' that they have is only new this year. I was at the UCD Open day this year and talking to a girl at the accomodation stand, she said you apply for accomodation after the offers from CAO were made. The list opened on June 16th and I didn't find out about it until the start of July, when someone posted about it on the LC forum of boards!

Advertisement